Vanessa Has A Hole In Her Wen

waterfaller1

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

So Sorry for all of your losses :( I also agree about the sand which is why mine is gone! I do hope Van continues to heal and this redo will keep the rest of your beauties from harm :)

I had a very hard time w sand too and I think it was part of one of my fishes death..

Yes, some of the poop in the morning would be completely black and formed of sand. I have heard of it impacting and also blowing out their gut. All they are trying to do is get to the food, and in the process they suck up a bunch of the black{colored} sand. I would rather them just eat the food without sand. If they were meant to eat sand it would be in the food..right?

So Sorry for all of your losses :( I also agree about the sand which is why mine is gone! I do hope Van continues to heal and this redo will keep the rest of your beauties from harm :)

I tried to send you a message to ask what kind of floaty plants those are you have. But I guess you have that disabled? Anyway..it took a little searching but I figured out what they are. I like the way they span out across the tank.

Thanks for caring, and hugs to you.

I had a very hard time w sand too and I think it was part of one of my fishes death..

I am so sorry Koko.:( I do not want to keep replacing my fish! I want them to live, and am going to everything in my power to see to it they do.

I am so sorry Koko.:( I do not want to keep replacing my fish! I want them to live, and am going to everything in my power to see to it they do.
I absolutely understand, Carole, and it would remiss of me not to bring this into this conversation.

Your best chance of doing that, is to:

- breed your own

- get domestically bred fish from a conscientious breeder

- get young fish to raise yourself.

- raise them in a well-designed pond

Those represent your best chances for fish that will live a long time. Any other fish, and their lifespans will be not as ideal.

We will agree to disagree on this. I currently have 14 goldfish living with sand substrate, and not a single issue. Some of these fish have been with sand for 2+ years.

Alex, you have admitted to losing many fish as well. How do you know for certain any of them did not die from it?

That's easy...I started out with the simple observation that was made by a very respected goldfish breeder that imported fish seems to have about a 2 year lifespan. Quite a few breeders agreed with this as well, and stated that this is why they buy to breed. I didn't believe them, which was why I bought and bought, and sure enough, they all lasted about 2 years. I also had a friend who also bought many imports, and they too died very quickly (15 fish or so). She didn't have sand, or any substrate, so we couldn't blame the sand here, and figured prominently into why I didn't blame sand. Sand or not, THEY ALL DIED.

During the time, the fish that I bought as a juvenile continued to do well, and is still doing well. He is about 5.5 years old now, and has been with me since the day I restarted this hobby.

Finally, when I had all these very expensive deaths, I went back to the drawing board, and decided to buy juvenile domestic. Since that time, there hasn't been a single death over 1.5 years.

In all this time, the constants in the tank - water and sand.

So, while it may be nice to think the sand did it, I'm happy to say that at least in my case, it wasn't.

I hope this is enough of an explanation. As I said, I am quite happy you removed the sand, but would hate to see you remove sand, buy more expensive fish, and still face the same issues. That's why I spoke up. My friends and I had tons and tons of discussion over this when her fish were dying as well.

As a final note, this friend of mine is now doing quite well with her fish as well. She is breeding them, and guess what? They ALL HAVE SAND AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR TUBS. :)

Well I stand corrected, then it can be done. I still think some can overdo it and get too much. There is no good way to really clean it. You should have seen what was under mine. Regardless, I am fine with BB. It just takes a little more work to scrub it.

I have had Vann since before Sept. 2011. :)

Edited by waterfaller1

And maybe we need to start treating them when they come in for more than just flukes. Food for thought.

I am in a long travel today. Will address this later tonight. :)

Carole, You are doing what you believe in, and need to do, to help your fish be in a cleaner environment and if this is removing your sand than so be it. :heart It's your choice. I support you. Vann is a sick fish and your doing what's best for him now and for when he gets to come back into his big, beautiful, tank. I too recently removed my sand in my tank and have a topic on it for the reasons I was worried about.

I'll get back on track with your thread if that's okay with you.

How is Vann doing with his hole in his wen? How are the medicines metronidazole and nitrofuracin green doing/working.? Continued good thoughts going out your way that he continues healing for the inside out.

:hug

Carole, You are doing what you believe in, and need to do, to help your fish be in a cleaner environment and if this is removing your sand than so be it. :heart It's your choice. I support you. Vann is a sick fish and your doing what's best for him now and for when he gets to come back into his big, beautiful, tank. I too recently removed my sand in my tank and have a topic on it for the reasons I was worried about.

I'll get back on track with your thread if that's okay with you.

How is Vann doing with his hole in his wen? How are the medicines metronidazole and nitrofuracin green doing/working.? Continued good thoughts going out your way that he continues healing for the inside out.

:hug

Thank you. He is doing really well. Today he swam most of the day instead of sitting! :fishtank:

I have some new pics. I still have not figured out how to get a video without Troy's help on this camera. I need to break the book out and read up on it.