Vanessa Has A Hole In Her Wen

waterfaller1

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry, Carole! :hug

I did this when my lionhead had a gaping red hole on her wen. I boght tetra life guard halo shield. She was all better in the 5 days. It's worth a shot if we can't figure anything out. But let's see what a mod had to say.

Thanks for the kudos. But I am back with bad news.Van's face has reopened... :(

I am at a loss as to what to do now. :cry

Hi, Carole. I'm so sorry, but this was what I was worried about earlier.

Baytril offers a very fleeting promise, and then these things almost always come back when the ulcer looks like that. :(

Do you think you can get oxolinic acid and metronidazole powder?

Thanks Mikey.

Thanks for the kudos. But I am back with bad news.Van's face has reopened... :(

I am at a loss as to what to do now. :cry

Hi, Carole. I'm so sorry, but this was what I was worried about earlier.

Baytril offers a very fleeting promise, and then these things almost always come back when the ulcer looks like that. :(

Do you think you can get oxolinic acid and metronidazole powder?

Thank you Alex. I looked them up and it looks like NFP has it.Maybe somewhere else too? What do I do with it? Mix them together? I will have to pull him out this time. I can't put that in the tank with snails and catfish? Unless I pull all of them out and treat the tank? Are you thinking the other GF may catch this?

This is something that needs a QT, even if it's just a 10 gallon tub and air stone. We have to add the powders to the tank, and replace accordingly. I can help once you have the products.

I have something. It is a med that was recommended to me by Ken when Tut had half his face ripped off. I bought it from a koi place in GA. Let me go see what it is. I never used it. He passed too quick.I might have metro powder too. BRB

Edited by waterfaller1

It is called Tricide neo. It is meant as a koi dip and now I remember he wanted me to mix it in with the antibiotic cream and apply it to the wound. I can't find the metro. I do have erythromycin, pimafix, melafix. Ich meds, and something called seachem sulfathyiozole...which I have no clue how old it is or what it does. Guess we will have to wait. :( I should have this stuff on hand!

It is called Tricide neo. It is meant as a koi dip and now I remember he wanted me to mix it in with the antibiotic cream and apply it to the wound. I can't find the metro. I do have erythromycin, pimafix, melafix. Ich meds, and something called seachem sulfathyiozole...which I have no clue how old it is or what it does. Guess we will have to wait. :( I should have this stuff on hand!

Go ahead and use the Tricide neo. Do it as a dip first.

Then, instead of mixing it in antibiotic cream, go get a tube of denture paste (zinc free), and mix well a little bit with the Tricide. Then apply that to the whole. I learned this on an Asian forum a while back. The denture paste should stay on much longer.

Oh I am so scared of that stuff. It has some staunch warnings on the packets. Can you give me ratios for the dip and the paste? I could never get the antibiotic cream to stay in. IIRC Ken said a very tiny amount of the tricide neo, with a very tiny amount of the cream. But was not specific and never recommended a dip. I will have to get the qt set up. I replaced my lost loaches with a few baby tank raised catfish. I don't want to lose them. I believe the use of medicated food is what killed them.

• Supporter

i have no advice for these medicines Carole, i am just popping in for moral support.. hugs to you, i hope that Van is able to overcome this problem. :hug

is there any chance we can get a pic of what the site looks like at the moment? more to create a reference point back to see if the next treatment plan is working for him.

Oh I am so scared of that stuff. It has some staunch warnings on the packets. Can you give me ratios for the dip and the paste? I could never get the antibiotic cream to stay in. IIRC Ken said a very tiny amount of the tricide neo, with a very tiny amount of the cream. But was not specific and never recommended a dip. I will have to get the qt set up. I replaced my lost loaches with a few baby tank raised catfish. I don't want to lose them. I believe the use of medicated food is what killed them.

Medicated food could very well have killed them, if they overdosed. This is why we always insist that people weigh their fish, and their control exactly the amount of food, both to ensure effectiveness and limit toxicity.

For a dip, I would do exactly as the manufacturer suggests. For the powder, I would do 1/4 powder to 3/4 paste.

So I went to the Central Florida Koi Show yesterday. Going back today. I bought two meds by a company called Kai Zen Aqua. One is Para Pro{a couple older fellows at the show thought it could possibly be a parasite. {I am not convinced of that, but purchased it anyway just in case, or for future use. The other is called Pro Treat, which is for severe bacterial infections. I moved Van into the ten gallon qt and added the Pro Treat. Seven day treatment. Wish me luck. If this doesn't work, I will be looking into your suggestions as well Alex. The way I figure was it was something I could do NOW, instead of waiting, or in case the fish pharmaceutical place is no longer in business. {I tried to add things to a cart the other night and it would not work}

I will get pics.

So I went to the Central Florida Koi Show yesterday. Going back today. I bought two meds by a company called Kai Zen Aqua. One is Para Pro{a couple older fellows at the show thought it could possibly be a parasite. {I am not convinced of that, but purchased it anyway just in case, or for future use. The other is called Pro Treat, which is for severe bacterial infections. I moved Van into the ten gallon qt and added the Pro Treat. Seven day treatment. Wish me luck. If this doesn't work, I will be looking into your suggestions as well Alex. The way I figure was it was something I could do NOW, instead of waiting, or in case the fish pharmaceutical place is no longer in business. {I tried to add things to a cart the other night and it would not work}

I will get pics.

Did they tell you what is in Pro-Treat?

hi dnalex, hi waterfaller1!

here's some info which may or may not help at all :)

i could not find active ingredients for pro treat online -- these are the specs listed on the kai zen aqua website.

wishing vanessa a very speedy recovery! :heart

melusine

Pro treat

Excellent bactericide best used with salt and is non-aggressive. Works great for damaged fish, fin rot, and mouth rot. Acts systemically, (internally) unlike all other fish treatments, and can therefore be effective against septicaemia and internal infections, including dropsy. Ideal treatment when antibiotics cannot be obtained.

Dosage 4.5gm per 1200 gallons. Use with Salt (3lbs to 5lbs per 100 gallon) for best results, and at temperatures over 65 Deg. F. Repeat treatment every seven days or until symptoms improve. Complete 25% water changes between treatments.

Hi Christina, I saw that when I went searching. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us much more than it's not an antibiotic. :(

Hopefully, there's a bit more info in the box?

There is no box, it's just a jar. It says exactly that. I have put this question to the rep. I really don't know at this point. Like I said, it was something I had vs. something I did not have. It has been suggested to run it with salt. The fellow I spoke to yesterday said he has had good personal experience with it.

Thank you for the well wishes.

There is no box, it's just a jar. It says exactly that. I have put this question to the rep. I really don't know at this point. Like I said, it was something I had vs. something I did not have. It has been suggested to run it with salt. The fellow I spoke to yesterday said he has had good personal experience with it.

Thank you for the well wishes.

I understand exactly where you are coming from, of course, but there are also a lot of people selling snake oil. The least they could do is to give you indications of what it is. As such, you don't really know what you it is that you are using, and that could be super dangerous, or a huge waste of your time at the least. :(

I hope it does help, though.

Ok...they are being guarded about the ingredients, but here was the response to my question this morning.

me~

Thank you for keeping in touch Rebecca. My friends on Koko's goldfish forum are wondering what is in the pro-treat, as it appears that it is not an antibiotic? They are concerned that I am wasting valuable time, and should be treating with something else.

Their reply~

Hi Carole,
I can assure you that pro treat is an antibiotic that is proven to work. It was developed by mag noy in Israel 18 years ago. We introduced it back in 1999. We currently have many koi judges and KHa using the product and swearing by it.
Rebecca
Edited by waterfaller1