Vanessa Has A Hole In Her Wen

waterfaller1

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try only the one called Goldfish food? I didn't like it either. I do however like a newer formula called Veggie/Krill. What I like about it is a clean looking poop, no excess food bits in the tank, and no bad ingredients like ethoxiquin, menadione, etc..

Did you try only the one called Goldfish food? I didn't like it either. I do however like a newer formula called Veggie/Krill. What I like about it is a clean looking poop, no excess food bits in the tank, and no bad ingredients like ethoxiquin, menadione, etc..

He sent me a mixture of things. I can't remember what I got, to be honest. :)

Federal law requires that any fish meal coming into this country to be treated with ethoxyquin. So, unless the food is devoid of fish meal, it will have ethoxyquin, even if they don't list it.

I've gotten into the habit of mixing different types of pellets together. It sometimes reminds of the different colors of Southern Delight. :rofl

How do we know they do not make it right here in the USA? :)

I believe that American fish meal also have ethoxyquin, unless the specifically say they don't. It's one of those things like antibiotics used in food animals. Unless they specifically tell you that it's antibiotic-free, it's most likely not.

Untreated fish meal can spontaneously combust

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps043

and somehow I doubt that Southern Delight makes it own fish meal in house. Hence, ANY fish meal that is on American waters have to be treated.

You purchased Goldfish from Lee at Petland in Sarasota,Florida? I think he is partner's with a guy named Steve.

Haha. I got confused. I bought fish from Steve. I remember he said he was partners with someone for SD, and I got them confused haha

Yes, Steve is the guy I know. He is cool. Like old school cool. He likes those funky shoes. :D

I got Lovey and Van from him. I also had Zorro from him, if you remember him.

Alex, if you had multi-colored food that was the goldfish food. I did not like it because part of it floated. The new Veggie/krill food is different. Some of the pellets are round, and some are the stick shape. They are dark green and they all sink.

I remember. :)

He had beautiful fish, but I just decided that I am not going to get adult or even semi-adult fish from anyone ever again. I am happy with getting fish as young as possible, so that I can only have myself to blame for any issues. :rofl

Thank you for the info on the food. It sounds really interesting. However, since I have about 8 that I am using in rotation, as well as now leaning more heavily on frozen foods, I have enough to last me to the end of the year. I think. :rofl

How is Vanessa doing?

I remember. :)

He had beautiful fish, but I just decided that I am not going to get adult or even semi-adult fish from anyone ever again. I am happy with getting fish as young as possible, so that I can only have myself to blame for any issues. :rofl

Thank you for the info on the food. It sounds really interesting. However, since I have about 8 that I am using in rotation, as well as now leaning more heavily on frozen foods, I have enough to last me to the end of the year. I think. :rofl

How is Vanessa doing?

LOL... He is doing pretty good. I will get new pics. It is almost closed and the black has faded a lot. However, there still is a little SB issue. It is odd how it is intermittent. Yesterday he seemed in a bit of trouble for a while. Planting himself under the anubias to hold himself down, and then actually being upside down. It's almost as if he is flipping the bladder by the rolls he does in the tank. He has become used to me touching him. So I reached in and held him ever so gently{he could have swam away} in my hand for a few minutes, in the upright position. It seemed like it helped him right himself. because after that he did not roll or float at all the rest of the day.

I think the yellowing comes from eating food that has those particular pigments. At least I don't think it's anything problematic.

Carole, do you think Vanessa's issues have gotten better steadily, stayed the same, or have gone the other way. I have been discussing this with Helen, and we both at this time are not sure that we would comfortably declare everything 100%.

I think the improvement is incredible. I really need to get better with this new camera. If you could see before and after.

To recap-

The hole in the wen was nearly down to the skull. Dark black mark underneath and within the hole.

Baytril administered at one tenth of a CC for five days in injection.{To me direct administration of medicine has to be stronger and better at knocking out such a severe infection than just prophylactic methods such as antibiotic in the water}

Medi-gold food given exclusively for ten days.

Now- Hole has closed, fish is active, eating, problems with swim bladder have subsided, and black marks are gone.

I would say this is a huge improvement from where we were a few weeks ago.

Edited by waterfaller1

I'm so glad that Van is doing better!

Thank you for the support everyone. It is such a scary feeling every day. Do you do this? I wake up very early in the a.m.{just woke up } and even though it is dark, the light that casts over from the stove is like a night light, and enough to see his orangeness . Is he still swimming? Or if I go out shopping or somewhere, the first thing I do when I get in is look to see.....still swimming? I worry so much! So far so good. The black is still present, but the hole seems to be shrinking a little. An odd thing it never appeared red or inflamed in any way. Ok so I will name him Van Morrison, and call him Van. A great musician. :)

I wanted to say that this describes me to a "T". :o