Vanessa Has A Hole In Her Wen

waterfaller1

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry I have not gotten new pics yet. I have been lazy, then busy because I was lazy..

I saw a bubble pop out of the hole. I pray that it just got trapped in there. Not that there is a hole clean through. That would probably not be good.;

Van is having a slight issue with his swim bladder too. It is intermittent. Should I continue the medi-gold until Sunday? They are not super fond of it.

Thank you for the good wishes.

Has it been seven days?

I would love to cease medications, but I would be completely irresponsible if I just say go ahead without seeing what her wen looks like now.

Fins crossed!

Wow, just came across this thread, Carole. You are so brave to be doing injections! I'm curious to know where you were able to get the baytril and knowledge on how and where to inject him. You're doing an awesome job and I hope Van continues to improve. :thumbup2:

Has it been seven days?

I would love to cease medications, but I would be completely irresponsible if I just say go ahead without seeing what her wen looks like now.

Fins crossed!

8 days as of today.I will make an effort to get some pics in the a.m. Thank you Alex.

Edited by waterfaller1

Wow, just came across this thread, Carole. You are so brave to be doing injections! I'm curious to know where you were able to get the baytril and knowledge on how and where to inject him. You're doing an awesome job and I hope Van continues to improve. :thumbup2:

Hi Gran,thank you. I got the baytril from my dog vet. If they wouldn't have had it, my bird vet would have. He is further to drive...so I went with the first option.I sent them links to the Goldfish Connection website to read about the dreaded hole in the wen disease that has been afflicting fish. I found a video from Jen at Solid Gold, and a website about koi that went into a lot of detail on where and how to perform the injections. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I would say that part of the treatment went extremely well.

I am so glad to read that he has improved so much! :)

Thank you Chelsea.

One of the reasons why I rarely even mention Baytril is the fact that most of us do not have access to it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, nor a good thing.

My friend who runs a sanctuary in Naples told me I could have gotten an entire bottle at a tractor supply store for $40.00.

Yes, and you can order them here as well, for example

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html

It's not that these are not obtainable. They can be, but my understanding is that what you can get without prescription is not meant for injections.

Besides all of that, there is also my immense worry that we are playing with fire when we expand the repertoire of antibiotics that we use. I am willing (and happy to) use those that are already on the market, and I think that most times they suffice. So, I would rather not expand to more, given that there are already strains of bacteria resistant to all known antibiotics. Baytril is one of those drugs that despite being quite powerful, it's also quite easy to raise resistant bugs against it.

So, it's one of those things. If you have the meds and you are needing help with dosages and schedules, I am glad to be of help. However, to be honest, I try not to recommend it because it's another one of those antibiotics that still has quite a lot of uses in humans and other animals, and I would like to do my own little part in helping to keep it that way.

We still have quite a few choices (too many in so many ways) of meds to use. :)

Could you upload a video as well? I'm trying to see what is going on with his SB. My feeling is that he should go off all meds, but would like to see the video as well. :)

Let's stop the Medi-Gold as well, if you are comfortable with that, Carole. :)

If you like, now is a really good time to do maintenance treatment (so to speak) and do a full course of Melafix for everyone. :)

I'm not a fan of Jumpstart these days. If you have Pro-Gold or Saki Hikari, try that. The reason I am not so enamored of Jumpstart is that it seems to make many fish who eat it very floaty.

By full course, I just mean do as the directions on the bottle recommends and do a 7 day course. Feel free to do as big a WC as you like at any time during the treatment. That particular bit is the only deviation from the instructions. :)

Very good. I have a feeling the foods from GC are very rich. Or so they seem. One of the things I like about the Southern Delight food is it seems very clean. The GC foods break up easily and foul the water. I do have the Pro-Gold. I might have Saki, will have to look.

I never cared for the Southern Delight, but that's a whole other subject! :rofl

Good luck! :)

Just to recap...let's stop all meds, and do a full seven days of Melafix. Hopefully, that will take care of everything. :)