Vanessa Has A Hole In Her Wen

waterfaller1

I thought some of you might be interested to see what I am doing to try and save Vanessa. She popped up with a bad bacterial infection. That must have been festering below the surface, and them became open. It is fairly deep, and a few days ago you could have stuck a pencil in it. We are on day three of Baytril injections at one tenth of a CC, for a total of five days. She and her friends are receiving medi-gold food. I am feeding all of them the medi-gold for two weeks, just in case this is what is know as "hole in the wen disease"

There was that little common in the tank for a couple weeks who was hitting her in that spot. Now whether he may have caused the initial bacteria to enter her wen, or what I do not know. As bad as it was, if I did nothing I don't think she would be doing as well. The hole does look better, and she remains active and eating.

First pics

vanessa007.jpg
vanessa008.jpg
vanessa014.jpg
vanessa010.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting ready for injection #3

NEWVANESSA074.jpg

I wait for her to be calm

NEWVANESSA076.jpg

Calm

NEWVANESSA077.jpg

See the light colored part on the body just under the dorsal? That is where I hit her with the needle, in the dorsal muscle.I slip the needle under a scale, so no scale loss.

NEWVANESSA078.jpg

Edited by waterfaller1

Do you sedate her at all or does she naturally calm down after a while? :idont

Good luck with her treatment! :)

She is out and back in the tank in five minutes or less. She calms down very easily and quickly. Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Thanks everyone. :) She is still doing well. I am preparing to do injection #4 here shortly. What makes you think she is a he? I figured by now she would show stars if she was a boy. I know Moby, and Fu Man Chu are boys. I think Charlie is too, but not certain. neither Lovey nor Vanessa show any stars, and the ones I know are boys stick their heads up their :whistle

• Admin

I see what looks to be breeding tubercles on Vanessa's pectorals. The pectoral leading rays are also very thick.

I really hope this gets resolved and that everyone feels better soon!

:goodpost

I see what looks to be breeding tubercles on Vanessa's pectorals. The pectoral leading rays are also very thick.

I really hope this gets resolved and that everyone feels better soon

Oh wow..wouldn't that be kind of funny. I changed {his/her} name from Rhett Butler to Vanessa! So maybe he is a Rhett...or a Van? :unsure: Maybe all of my fish are boys for all I know..I am kind of blind! :rofl

Thank you

Edited by waterfaller1

I really hope this gets resolved and that everyone feels better soon

Oh wow..wouldn't that be kind of funny. I changed {his/her} name from Rhett Butler to Vanessa! So maybe he is a Rhett...or a Van? :unsure: Maybe all of my fish are boys for all I know..I am kind of blind! :rofl

Thank you

I never look at gill plates to tell if a fish is male or not... I just look at the pecs. Goldfish have manly pecs. :flex: Also, it's more difficult to tell if they're on the faces of some Orandas, who grow wen over top of them on occasion.

:rofl

• Supporter

Van/nessa is just gorgeous and I hope the baytril injections do their job so s/he can heal up :D

EDIT: Acutally, this is the name of my husband's van :)

Edited by amoonklein