Question...

Justin

Hello! I just read that if your fish is constipated that you should fast for three days and then feed only peas for three days. Is this true? My understanding was that you can fast for three days, but then should feed small amounts of normal food OR feed leafy greens. Aren't those better than peas for constipation?

I just skip the fasting and feed only greens (kale, duckweed, nori) for the day, then in the morning the next day usually they have shown me just how constipated they were.

Edited by ChelseaM

Because peas do work, the article still stands.

I am not challenging the validity of the article. I am just saying that a lot of people (mainly new keepers) look at this site for information, so I believe the articles should have the best information possible, especially considering constipation, which is one of the most widespread issues with new fish keepers. I think if we can improve articles, that is what we should do, rather than just saying "the current article works, so we don't need to change it."

I am not challenging the validity of the article. I am just saying that a lot of people (mainly new keepers) look at this site for information, so I believe the articles should have the best information possible, especially considering constipation, which is one of the most widespread issues with new fish keepers. I think if we can improve articles, that is what we should do, rather than just saying "the current article works, so we don't need to change it."

The thing is that the article works and works well, using readily-accessible ingredients that are easy for new keepers to prepare.

You can always suggest it to her through PM and include a link to the article, but at this point I don't believe it is necessary.

The thing is that the article works and works well, using readily-accessible ingredients that are easy for new keepers to prepare.

You can always suggest it to her through PM and include a link to the article, but at this point I don't believe it is necessary.

I don't see how kale is any harder to find than peas. Also, it definitely isn't necessary, but it could make Koko's a better site. I won't take any further action, I just think it's strange that an article is advocating something that you, Lisa or I would not do first if the problem was constipation. In fact, we all agreed that the best course of action would be to feed a leafy green (You said kale, nori, and duckweed, I said kale, and Lisa said red leaf lettuce) rather than peas. I think that continually updating and improving the information provided on this forum will allow kokosgoldfish.com to stay one of the most prominent goldfish help forums. Like I said, good works, but best works better.

I don't see how kale is any harder to find than peas. Also, it definitely isn't necessary, but it could make Koko's a better site. I won't take any further action, I just think it's strange that an article is advocating something that you, Lisa or I would not do first if the problem was constipation. In fact, we all agreed that the best course of action would be to feed a leafy green (You said kale, nori, and duckweed, I said kale, and Lisa said red leaf lettuce) rather than peas. I think that continually updating and improving the information provided on this forum will allow kokosgoldfish.com to stay one of the most prominent goldfish help forums. Like I said, good works, but best works better.

Like I said, you can send Koko a PM.

Like I said, you can send Koko a PM.

Like I said, I won't be taking any further action. I just wanted to know whether or not that was the best thing to do, because that isn't the course of action I would take. My initial intention was not to get the article changed.

Then why argue it?

As you can see, there are several different methods people prefer to prevent constipation. It doesn't mean one is necessarily the wrong or right way to do it, or that everything suggested is better than the tried and true methods. Different doesn't always automatically mean better, especially in a hobby that is so customizable. Everyone has their preferences. :)

I still use peas. Tried and tried and tried again with red leaf lettuce and they just wouldn't eat it :( They don't eat any of the plants in my tank either :)

At least the peas work for us.

I didn't know I was arguing... Of course, if I had to take a course of action for the problem of constipation, I would have to choose one or the other. One may be better, and that's fine to say. I don't think saying "Everyone has their preferences," is the best way to address this problem. Preferences aren't always the best choices, as we see much too often with humanity. If there is a method which seems to work better most of the time, I think that is the one that should be included in the article. If we are telling people to judge what they should do based in their preferences, maybe both options should be stated so that the reader can make an informed decision. Once again, my intent was not to get the article changed. I was just searching for the best way to address the problem should I ever encounter it :)

• Supporter

newbies will most likely already have frozen peas in their freezer than anything else.. and we're always here to answer questions of any sort goldfish related :)

tbh, i personally prefer peas over anything else for my goldies in these circumstances, but like humans, we all have our little allergies... some fish either do not like peas or do not receive the intended benefit from them.

another reason why peas are good for this situation (constipation) is that we can push an Epsom granule into it.. lettuce does not offer the opportunity to feed an Epsom granule.

and also, at the end of the day, it's each to their own. everyone has their own way, our article is to quickly guide one to a simple solution which generally works should they not want to start a post on constipation.

The main reason for using peas is that almost all goldfish will gobble them. They work, so why use something that fish may or may not be willing to eat?

This is the most important point.

Other greens may require some training, while peas usually do not.

That's why even though I hate peas, and do not use it, it still is the FIRST thing I recommend to people. :)

Once again, my intent was not to get the article changed.

Then one must ask why you keep questioning its validity? Articles on the main site get updated from time to time, but you have to remember the people who update them have lives too. If you feel it should be changed, then let someone (admin or a member of the mod team) know or you can write your own article. If, however, it was a research article, it would be up to the author to make changes or request something be edited. Their response was well constructed based on evidence presented to them at the time of writing. Remember, this site is a database. Any prospective or new member has access to a deluge of information. It is up to them to read from multiple sources and formulate an opinion accordingly. Furthermore, preferences have their place. What works for A is not necessarily going to work for B,C,D and E.

My goldfish loooooove peas but aren't too fond of lettuce regardless of how I prepare it or what kind it is. :idont There's other veggies they enjoy too though. They might need to get used to it (I keep meaning to buy a veggie clip for this purpose) but for now, meh, whatever.

Once again, my intent was not to get the article changed.

Then one must ask why you keep questioning its validity? Articles on the main site get updated from time to time, but you have to remember the people who update them have lives too. If you feel it should be changed, then let someone (admin or a member of the mod team) know or you can write your own article. If, however, it was a research article, it would be up to the author to make changes or request something be edited. Their response was well constructed based on evidence presented to them at the time of writing. Remember, this site is a database. Any prospective or new member has access to a deluge of information. It is up to them to read from multiple sources and formulate an opinion accordingly. Furthermore, preferences have their place. What works for A is not necessarily going to work for B,C,D and E.
I am very (VERY) aware that the people who update the articles have lives, which is a primary reason I decided not to try to get the article changed. The reason I am questioning the article's validity is because that is the question this thread is based upon! Edited by Justin

Actually, since I think we have discussed the original question posed, I am going to close the thread for now.

Justin, if you have any other questions, feel free to start new threads. As for recommendations to Koko, I think that should have any, PM or emailing her is always an option.

Thank you to all who participated in the discussion. The forum is lucky to have so many passionate and knowledgeable people. :)