Sign in to follow this  
Gcourtney

When I see a goldfish in a bowl

a4evuza7.jpg I'm sure this is pretty much the look when ever I see goldfish in a bowl on tv or in a house Edited by Gustave

And here's pretty much a summary of my trying to talk about what I just saw to normal people or people who claim to successfully keep goldfish in bowls :rofl

I'm telling you the have powers behind their fish keeping skills :rofl Edited by Gustave

Actually, I have seen a worse offender then Elmo with Dorothy.

A dry cleaning place near me that has 3 commons between 4-6 inch placed in a 5 gallon tank.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

You'd think people would know by now.

I hate to see any animal/pet in any too small of a home.

I hate when you see that kind of thing at someone's house because it makes me sad but I feel rude commenting too much about it. I have a friend who I don't get to see very much now but she used to have a 10g with multiple goldfish and all sorts of tropicals, most of which shouldn't be in that size tank either. I know she had some sort of eel at one point and I believe a common pleco too. None of her fish lasted very long.

It seems like whenever I tell someone I keep fish they feel the need to tell me about how they had fish once but they died because they put absolutely no effort into caring for them. Recently I told someone who was filling in at my work about my tanks and she told me she had once gotten a betta as a gift. The poor thing lived in a vase and then she went on vacation for a while and "forgot about it" so it died. Lovely.

I know luckily my family listens and they have decided against fish now :roflhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fIrajum1DA here's a music video featuring an average 80's bedroom notice the ten gallon full of large shubunkins I can't watch this video without noticing the goldfish and trying to count the amount crammed in there I not even sure I have listen to what was being said or played in this video because of the tank: lol I always wondered if they had knowledge back then on tanks as my dad said he never even heard of water changes in the early 80's

Edited by Gustave

That is cool.

I saw something on super bowl Sunday that was horrendous. It was called "the fish bowl". From what I saw, it was someone setting up goldfish in a regular standard style bowl with decor and substrate. It made me go :mad:

I hate when you see that kind of thing at someone's house because it makes me sad but I feel rude commenting too much about it.

Im the oppsite. I hate seeing it too but I have to say something. I politely try and work it into the convo and give them basic info. It usually goes over well.

And I cant stand it when people have to tell you about a fish they killed! I will never understand how people think that is a good response.

I just spent like 30 mins telling you how much I like fish and you decide to take that and tell me a story about how you killed one of my favorite beings? Makes total sense!!

~The goldfish mermaid~

When I saw the goldfish at my collegeues I really wanted to say something. Before even having goldfish I knew that bowls weren't the right place to keep them. I almost wanted to steal them. In the end I ended up with them anyway lol

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

seems like whenever I tell someone I keep fish they feel the need to tell me about how they had fish once but they died because they put absolutely no effort into caring for them.

I know exactly what you mean :rofl

So many people have seen my fish and said something along the lines of "oh we used to have fish but they kept dying", I never really know what to say to that haha

seems like whenever I tell someone I keep fish they feel the need to tell me about how they had fish once but they died because they put absolutely no effort into caring for them.

I know exactly what you mean :rofl

So many people have seen my fish and said something along the lines of "oh we used to have fish but they kept dying", I never really know what to say to that haha

I hear this a lot too. I tell them why, because they probably did not cycle the tank. Which usually results in the deer in the headlights look. :blink:

a4evuza7.jpg I'm sure this is pretty much the look when ever I see goldfish in a bowl on tv or in a house

I think I make a similar face, too. :rofl

I went to a thing at my daughter's school last week and in one of the classrooms I saw on a chart (like who does which thing, on which day) the words Goldfish Bowl. I probably spun around the room, looking like that lady, but was very pleased to see that the "bowl" was just a poster and the "fish" were the students who were either present or absent that day. :rofl

Crisis averted!

a4evuza7.jpg I'm sure this is pretty much the look when ever I see goldfish in a bowl on tv or in a house

I think I make a similar face, too. :rofl

I went to a thing at my daughter's school last week and in one of the classrooms I saw on a chart (like who does which thing, on which day) the words Goldfish Bowl. I probably spun around the room, looking like that lady, but was very pleased to see that the "bowl" was just a poster and the "fish" were the students who were either present or absent that day. :rofl

Crisis averted!

Ahahaha! This would be me after realizing: :rofl2

Ugh isn't that the worst? I have pet rats and I get that SO bad when I bring them up. People feel the need to tell me about how they just killed a bunch the other day...because that's definitely what I want to hear. I usually use that as an opportunity to force them to look at adorable rattie pictures on my phone in an attempt to sway them, lol.

Haha I tell people about cycling and such too if they talk about how many fish they've killed. They usually act shocked to find that fish keeping is so much more complicated than just throwing them in a bowl of water.

This will probably get me scolded but I must come forward. The students where I work stay for an entire semester for work study. They bought a Danio from the nearby petstore and had him in one of the tiny little beta cups. They passed him on to the next students and so on. The fish was with them for a whole year. My company stopped the program for a while and the last co-op student asked me if I could take care of the fish. I got him a one gallon bowl from the petstore. i put some marbles in the bottom and a skinny little plastic plant. I fed him one flake per day and changed his water twice a week. He lived another year. A two year life span for a danio under those conditions is pretty good. Im not so sure that if stocked properly a bowl couldnt make a good home for a tiny fish. A gold fish is too big for a bowl, but a danio would do fine in one gallon.

Yeah, when I tell people I have fancy goldfish, they respond with "oh they don't live very long, do they?!" followed by me trying not to give them crazy lady stare as I try to explain that's not the case if properly cared for. :doh11:

Once I had someone come ask me for advice because he wanted to get a goldfish, so I happily shared all the information I could.... and he ended up doing the exact opposite of what I suggested and the poor thing passed away :( Why do people ask if they don't actually care?! They aren't throwaway pets. They're AWESOME pets!

I've not been st this for very long but at the moment I will tell anyone willing to listen about tank size abd cycling. And the general reaction is why would you bother with such a hassle. I told my collegrue abd immediately he put on the guilty look. And so I was like did you have a goldfish. And he said he did in a goldfish bowl but it died after two years. And is it really true they are supposed to live longer. The 3 second memory rumour doesn't help either

before I opened this thread I had a feeling it was going to have a picture like this, and I still laughed out loud. I will say this, when I see a fish housed improperly, I do not hesitate to let the person know. I don't try to make them feel stupid but I am not quiet about it.

When I see a GoldFish in a bowL... it makes me sad :no:

edit: :doh11: oops... sorry for the twice people.

Edited by dnalex

edit: :doh11: oops... sorry for the twice people.

This just means you are doubly-sad :(

I think in Germany or at least on Austria it's against the law to keep them in a goldfish bowl. I wish that was the case in more countries. It's animal torture

I am always shocked when I'm in Petsmart or Petco and I see an entire isle of fishBOWLS! And the tiniest little GOLDFISH so called 'GOLDFISH AQUARIUMs'. Absoultely ridiculous. They will sell anything I guess, even your goldfishes' mother! hehe