40 gallon breeder or 40 gallon long?

fishy

I would suggest the breeder as a forever-home for one fish.

Unlike the Long, it has width. From my experience, keeping stout fish like Orandas requires a wider area for them to maneuver in. Since the Long is only 13" wide, you don't get the same turning space you would in a Breeder, which is 18" wide. This gives them more room to get around, without sacrificing too much in the way of length.

I did a little search to determine why a 40B (and other shallow tanks with large footprints) is called a "breeder". Those addressing this question all said it was because these were used by breeders for growing fry because of the benefit of the large surface area to volume ratio. In contrast, in a display tank, the viewing area is maximized. The breeders are tanks designed for the fish room rather than the living room.

Very interesting. I see pros & cons to both sizes. I will be putting the tank in my office at work, I have to measure the area tomorrow to see what I can actually fit in there. Thanks for checking into the difference between the tanks.

To me, while the breeder tank may more ideal, I am quite certain that a 40L will be just fine as well for a single fish.

This is the 40L

48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 16 7/8

and this is the 40B

36 3/16 x 18 1/4 x 16 15/16

the trade off is the width of the tank, by nearly half a foot. The height is essentially the same, and so the concern about taller tank is moot here.

The width of the 40L is the same as that of the 55, and as we know, many people here have that foot print, and it does reasonably well.

So, while the breeder tank is more ideal, I wouldn't sweat too much and get whichever one suits your space better. :)

After doing a little bit of math, the 40 long only has 7.5% less surface area than the 40B. I agree that either would work fine and you should get the one that fits your space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate all of the input : ) I have been in a quandry of the 40b being too short but it was the koko's consensus so it will be okay and will work nicely in my office space. I would be unable to open one set of desk drawers if I did the 40g long, I don't think my employer would appreciate that-lol. Thanks again everyone.