Seperation..!

chicotyson99

Hello all! Ive noticed that when i feed my 2 fancy goldfish my oranda gets most if not all of the food! He beats my black moor to it, i would say its because black moors have telescope eyes and thats a disadvantage. Anyway please leave a reply if you have any suggestions on how i could feed my moor seperately without actually taking him out of the tank!

Thank you

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Like I suggested in your other thread:

1. Float a colander in the tank and put Ty in that when you feed him.
  2. Float a Tupperware container in the tank and put Ty in that when you feed him.

Good thing you noticed, Tyson. People use different techniques. Chelsea is a big fan of hand feeding. She has trained her fish to take pellets from her fingers. Other people separate the fish in some way. I've seen a friend use a vertical plastic plate to hold one fish at one end of the tank while she feeds the other at the other end.

Perhaps the easiest way, if it works, is to feed the oranda at one end of your tank and scuttle the moor to the other and feed him there.

It might also be nice to say, once a week, place the moor in a bowl and give him a bit of extra food if you don't always have time to hand feed or to separate them.

I knew Chelsea would appear :rofl

Edited by motherredcap

I always appear, Susanne! :rofl:heart

I am definitely a huge fan of Hand Feeding. It is one of the 'essential behaviors' I train all of my fish to do while they are still in Quarantine, before they ever make it to the main tank. That is also an option.

Susanne makes a very good suggestion in feeding one fish at one end and one at the other. If you can keep your Oranda occupied for long enough to get some food into Tyson, then that option is really easy and simple. :)

Thanks both of you always a great help! When i feed them in the morning i do be half asleep so maybe in the evening i will put him in s tubberware container and once a week seperate him and spoil him

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The problem with that plan is that he still won't be getting the same amount of food as your Oranda, who could be getting too much food. Try to be consistent in using the Tupperware every feeding to prevent this.

Good thing you noticed, Tyson. People use different techniques. Chelsea is a big fan of hand feeding. She has trained her fish to take pellets from her fingers. Other people separate the fish in some way. I've seen a friend use a vertical plastic plate to hold one fish at one end of the tank while she feeds the other at the other end.

Perhaps the easiest way, if it works, is to feed the oranda at one end of your tank and scuttle the moor to the other and feed him there.

It might also be nice to say, once a week, place the moor in a bowl and give him a bit of extra food if you don't always have time to hand feed or to separate them.

I knew Chelsea would appear :rofl

"and scuttle the moor to the other and feed him there"

I don't know why this comment made me laugh, but it did. :rofl2

If hand feeding is not something you prefer to do, then making sure that food is spread out across the length of the tank is a good strategy. Along with this, you should use small pellets, which then ensures that the meal isn't over in two bites. :)

• 1 month later...

My telescope Mao is.. well... a little dopey. All the other fish see me coming and swim over with their 'feed me' eyes, and he would just be oblivious wandering around the other side of the tank.

The approaches suggested above are awesome, and helped me short term. I also tried teaching him to handfeed but it was just to tricky with the other water piggies getting in the way.

Here's what has solved my problem long term: I feed my fish in the same place every time, and I use the same call ("Here fishy fishy!" - my partner thinks it's hilarious) to signal feeding time to them. They are now well conditioned, they hear me call and all swim over to that spot. Mao is always last to get there, but I don't put the food in until he does, and they all seem to get their fair share :D