First time for everything

Mr. Hyde

So, I have had my fish for a full year (more or less) and have never done the whole Prazi thing.

Before I have a gaggle of Kokonuts pounce on me, I plead laziness/ignorance (my most desirable traits).

I have no idea of the directions.

The smallest bottle in the world of Prazi is what I purchased (29 ml), and the instructions (if any) are possibly on there, but look like dots and impossible to read...I may just be old and can't see without Granny Glasses! :P

Anyway, I have looked for links.

I had even discussed it previously, but notice all that has been said to me is that it should be done.

I am now asking how this "done" process happens.

Maybe a step by step?

I have been suggested not to use salt, as my fish have never had any history of disease.

Note: I do have sea salt available, if necessary.

They were both purchased at the same time and placed in a cycled tank one year ago.

Not sure if it is important, but I have recently moved them into a new tank (55 gallon, if it matters) approx. 3 weeks ago.

I will be stepping away for approximately 2 hours.

Please do not think I am taking my ball and going home, just need to go and do a few things.

I appreciate the advice.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

i just dose straight after the weekly water change.. and leave it at that.. repeat at the next weekly water change and so on until 6 cycles are done.. then we're done.

if it's not prazipro that you have, can you post a pic of the bottle?

Here is the Prazi schedule that we follow. Well this is the 7 day prazi schedule. There is also a 5 day prazi schedule but this one is better. :rofl Or perhaps I should say this is the one I prefer, especially if you are doing it in a cycled tank. Then you can just do the WCs on your regular weekly WC day. :teehee

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far. (And you probably won't . . . )
Some reminders: Prazipro should only have salt to 0.1% if you are using regular dose. If double dosing Prazipro, you can raise salt to 0.3%. If you are using Prazi powder or tablets, then salt is at 0.3%.

A. SEVEN DAY ROUNDS
Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
Day 2: Add another dose of Prazi. We routinely double dose with Prazi for the first round in this protocol.
Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
Day 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
Day 12: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
Day 19: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
Day 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
Day 29: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
Day 33: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
Day 36: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
Day 40: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

I would salt if this is your first time. :teehee

• Supporter

Hello! I'm sure a mod will pop in to offer advice soon, but I thought I would share this link that talk about how to administer prazi :Dhttp://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

I found this to be quite helpful

It really is easy... the charts always overwhelmed me - i never had a clue what they actually said - but when I started to write down my daily schedule, I thought, "oh! This is not so bad!" That's my suggestion to everyone - write it down, day by day. :)

Hi Lisa.

Yes I added the Prazi and mounds of salt.

Forgot to write it down...don't tell Jenna. :whistle

I will start a record of what I'm doing now.

'Are you writing things down as Jenna suggested? I do that too.'

Are you offering to write it down for me?

Thanks! :tomuch:

I can feed them a regular schedule, right?

Edited by Mr. Hyde

So, one of my two fish (red and white one) is looking like it is clamping it's fins a bit.

Still swimming around and being relatively active.

Did the Prazi and salt about 5 and a half hours ago.

Last fed at 11 am today.

Big concern?

Here are a couple of videos.

th_VIDEO0012_zps340d3307.jpg

th_VIDEO0013_zps53874f6a.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hyde

It does look like s/he is clamping a bit but is still quite active. Just keep an eye on them, as I know you will. Let us know if s/he begins bottom sitting, not eating, etc.

(And, yes, I did copy and paste that from the other thread. :lol2 )

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? :idont

No.

I feel like I should have not done the treatment, considering it was completely fine before.

Think it is best to do a w/c again or leave it until tomorrow?

If it was me, I'd leave it. I think the reaction shows that there are flukes present and they would eventually likely become an issue. I wouldn't start any antibiotics now, I was just wondering if you had them on hand in case we see additional symptoms.

It's up to you . . .

Alex? Helen? Jess? Helpers? Bueller? :idont

Kinda wonder if unecessary medication was my mistake.

sigh.

I don't think it was a mistake at all. If anything, it shows that your fish was carrying flukes, and would have been showing problems at a later date if not addressed now. :(

Prazi acts on the flukes, not the fish, and it's the killed flukes letting go of their hooks that are making the fish unwell.

Hopefully he will bounce back tomorrow.

I would like for you to go ahead and raise the salt to 0.3% when you are back tomorrow to see them. :)

Hang in there!

• Supporter

i think it's a very normal reaction to 1. something they're not used to... 2. flukes that are present and being treated.

overall, the reaction is very mild but something that needs to be closely observed. it is not uncommon that goldfish react badly to the first or second treatments of prazi, mine certainly did as well as others. currently i do not see any reason for concern.

it might be a good idea to add some additional aeration such as a bubbler (air stone or preferred airwand to your length tank) during the course of treatment.