Wilbur and Humphrey's QT

:rofl3

Not exactly what I had in mind.

Hydrogen peroxide for dust bunnies? Who are you? Heloise? :rofl

Look at that Lisa. Hijacking your thread Allie. :o

:rofl3

Hydrogen peroxide with some drops of tea tree and lavender oil would wipe those nasty dust bunnies and associated bacteria away!

I could be Martha Stewart posing as LisaCGold.... :)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

:rofl you guys are too funny!

Yes, I have kept the salt at .1% (except for the last water change when I ran out and the hubby picked some more up for me the next day, so I was back at .1% yesterday evening.

Couple of things, though... I noticed an area of Wilbur's wen that does look a bit red (I swear I'm not imagining!). It's hard to capture in pics, but here goes:

cc9099c8-1d0e-44f1-b18a-d649b3092948_zps

IMG_6177_zpsf1a8ce61.jpg

4da29ca0-1893-42a4-b54a-15699a615cf3_zps

AND I noticed these white dots on Humphrey:

IMG_6169_zpsf1b8a5d5.jpg

IMG_6157_zps4c18fc0d.jpg

IMG_6156_zpsb6a70bf1.jpg

Any guesses as to what that's all about?

Tonight's readings are:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite between 0-.25

Nitrate about 20ish

PH 8

Temp 72.3

Any thoughts/criticisms/etc. are welcome... oh, and you guys can feel free to derail my thread any day!!! I love it and I love my kokomunity!

EDIT: I cropped and saved these so you could see up close a bit better, but photobucket isn't playing nice this evening. If you'd like another look, let me know and I'll get something for you.

Edited by amoonklein

• Supporter

Hi guys :hi

Since my last post, the red area on Wilbur's wen got a bit more concentrated, developed a white bump, and then took care of itself so it's basically gone :D and Humphrey's weirdo white dots have faded and are basically non-existent now. Sorry for being such a crazy head fish lady! I'm driving myself nuts so I can only imagine how you guys must feel. :teehee

Yesterday's water params were:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20+

PH 8ish

Temp 69-71ish throughout the day

Last night around 11:00pm Humphrey got all bossy and was chasing Wilbur around the tank and wouldn't let up. He was being quite the bully (which he usually isn't). His head would be up Wilbur's booty swimming really fast, or he would push him into stuff. Poor Wilbur was getting pretty tired. I turned off the lights hoping it would help them rest, but when I woke up the next morning Wilbur was bottom sitting. :( Poor Wilbur. He must have been exhausted from all of that. He bottom sat for a while, but when I turned on the lights he perked up again and is acting pretty normal.

Wilbur's eye still looks weird... maybe I'll get some more pics tonight to try to show you. I feel like it's extra buggy today?! I don't know, I could just be imagining the whole thing, but I wanted to mention it.

They will get a water change tonight and I will keep an eye on my jerk faced Humphrey to make sure he leaves Wilbur alone... wonder why he got all aggressive last night.

• Supporter

Regarding the bullying, any more signs of that happening? Does that happen around eating time (before, during, and after)?

Hi Lisa :D

Humphrey was a bully late in the evening... about 2-3 hours after they had eaten (I think). I sprinled some NLS pellets into the tank hoping that would redirect his interest and that worked for all of 5 minutes before he was back at it. LOL. Figures!

Last night Humphrey only did it for a few minutes and then stopped (at least, I only saw him do it for a few minutes), which is good. Also, last night Wilbur was, in addition to his "normal" surface piping, a bit off in this swimming department. He was wobbly when swimming around and he would swim down towards the end of the tank and flip upside down for a second or two, right himself, and then wobble a bit more, do a quick spiral, right himself again... and then went back to surface piping. He was bottom sitting when I woke up this morning, but when I turned on the light, he perked up after after a minute. I'm not sure if the weird swimming was from ingesting air from all that gasping he and Humphrey have been doing, or if maybe I've been overfeeding? :idont I have been trying to feed "small" amounts around 3 times a day (pellets in the morning, repashy for lunch, and a frozen food for dinner), but maybe I am giving too much at one time. I just ordered a small kitchen scale so I can get a better idea of how much I should be giving them a day.... that will be fun!

Anywho, last night's readings were:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20+

PH 8

Temp 70ish

I did an 80% water change tonight :) I fed a small amount of Repashy for lunch and about a half a cube of FBW for dinner before their water change.

So far, I haven't seen any bullying tonight :D Wilbur and Humphrey are still surface piping off and on, but overall, I think things are good!!!

I promise to stop talking about Wilbur's eye! LOL.

Oh... Taylor is doing well too! He has been a good boy, resting up and healing. We have a recheck on Monday to have his staples removed and to have more x-rays taken to make sure the pneumonia is going away. Hooray baby steps.

Thanks for listening to my babbling!!!!!

Wilbur's behavior does sound a bit suspect. Maybe if Humphrey continues to bully, he will need to be put into timeout somehow. At least in the short run until we know if Wilbur's behavior is a symptom of something or not.

• Supporter

Maybe you'll be changing Wilbur's name to Wilhemina :<)

:rofl Oh gosh... that would be weird since he totally has/had breeding stars. Can females get those?

what food have you been using that you see this? It may be that the food is becoming not-so-good for one of them. :o:rofl

I try to make sure I switch it up daily so there hasn't been one food in particular that I've been using on a consistent basis. They normally get pellets in the morning (either NLS, Hikari Lionhead, or Saki Hikari Purple), Repashy Soilent Green for lunch (and sometimes a bit later as a snack), and in the evenings I try to give them a frozen food (either blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, or krill). After every meal (and off an on throughout the day) they both surface pipe. I don't know if their behavior is food related, water quality related, one of them is kinda sickie, or if it's just random.

Wilbur's behavior does sound a bit suspect. Maybe if Humphrey continues to bully, he will need to be put into timeout somehow. At least in the short run until we know if Wilbur's behavior is a symptom of something or not.

Last night, there really wasn't anything different going on... Wilbur seemed to be behaving normally and Humphrey wasn't bullying. They hung out around each other and also went their separate ways around the tank. In the morning when I woke up, Wilbur was bottom sitting again. I turned the light on and he perked up and went about his normal business. It's quite strange to see him bottom sitting and a bit worrysome (from a fish mom perspective), especially when I'm used to seeing them hover mid-tank to "rest"

:idont

:heart

My fish mostly bottom sit when they rest. I notice they rest at night, then around 2pm sometimes for just a little while. Maybe you have to get use to their rhythm. Or maybe they are finding their rhythm since they are new to their digs. Enough to drive you crazy, huh?

• Supporter

My fish mostly bottom sit when they rest. I notice they rest at night, then around 2pm sometimes for just a little while. Maybe you have to get use to their rhythm. Or maybe they are finding their rhythm since they are new to their digs. Enough to drive you crazy, huh?

Yes! It's definitely driving me a bit crazy, especially since this is new and I'm used to both of them hovering to sleep. Wilbur is gonna make me lose my hair at an early age :rofl

• Supporter

Oh hai and good morning :D

Last night's readings:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite ~.5

Nitrate between 5-10

PH 8

Temp 69.8

I am happy to report that Wilbur didn't bottom sit at ALL last night and I woke up to him doing his usual hovering mid tank "sleep" thingy :D Yay! AND Humphrey didn't bully at all.

Perhaps their behavior was related to the higher nitrates before I did that big water change? :idont Anywho, I'm a happy girl about it.

My scale arrived today. I'm looking forward to weighing some food :D

ZOMG THINGS ARE HAPPENING!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporter

Holy cow I've been gone a while! I can't believe this last post is like a month old! Hand slaps and lashes with wet noodles!

:D

So..... the boys have been good! Wilbur and Humphrey have been plugging along and the tank has basically stabilized. Man it's taken a long time. After water changes, we are finally between 24-48 hours before all ammonia and nitrites are processed. This is the longest cycle in history. LOL. Well, it definitely feels that way. I'm sure within the next week or so I will finally be at the 24 hour mark and I will officially call it cycled. Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

They guys still surface pipe frequently... mostly after meals and it doesn't seem to matter what I feed them or how much, they just gasp at the surface like it's going out of style. I read somewhere that a higher PH (mine is 8) can make it more likely that they would pipe at the surface, but I'm not sure if this is accurate. Also, they have yet to get a prazi treatment, so is there a chance that it could be gill fluke related? They don't seem to have any other symptoms though.

Nothing to report on Wilbur's wen, which makes me happy dance, just the occasional small white spot of normal wen growth.

Wewt!!!

I missed your face! <-- faces?! Is that accurate?!