Wilbur and Humphrey's QT

:rofl

Since there is no ammonia, I would dispense with Prime entirely, except when you do WCs, or if you detect ammonia. Salt (the chloride ions) do quite well in keeping the nitrites from harming the fish. :)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

Hiya :D I was a grocery shopping, tilapia cooking, fishy water testing machine last night and totally forgot to post their water params. Oopsies!

They had NLS 1mm pellets for breakfast, repashy soilent green for lunch and dinner, and they had some frozen krill for the first time as an evening snack and they gobbled that stuff up like it was the first meal I ever fed them :D

Last night's readings were:

Ammonia 0-.25, but closer to 0

Nitrites .25-.5, but closer to .25ish

Nitrates 10-20, but closer to 20

PH 8

Temp 73.4

Looks like things are moving along. Since there was slight ammonia, I did a single dose of Prime.

Also, depending on the tank readings tonight, I may have to do another water change if the nitrates are at or above 20ppm. Should that be my gold standard? I mean, once I'm officially cycled, I can do my water changes when nitrates get to be 20ppm (or it's been 1 week)... whichever comes first.

Wilbur's wen looks as good as new, although not as jellylicious on the one side. I'm sure that will grow back eventually with clean water and a good diet. His eye is still a "thing" and it weirds me out a bit because it looks kinda buggy (not like a super bulge or anything) but it does stick out a bit more than I remember. I don't know :idont but I'm keeping an eye on it.... get it?! EYE on it?! :doh11: I'll try to get some pictures and show you what I mean :)

That's so nice of you to be cooking tilapia for them! :tomuch:

The 20ppm maximum is the second best stringent standard (0 at all times being the best :rofl). However, in recognition that 20 can sometimes be difficult to achieve in certain situations, we just make a flat suggestion of 40ppm, roughly the same number that the EPA regulates as being the allowed maximum in our taps. :)

• Supporter

:rofl It's technically for the pooch, but I joke with Max that I feel kinda mean feeding ma fish and then cooking fish :D

:rofl It's technically for the pooch, but I joke with Max that I feel kinda mean feeding ma fish and then cooking fish :D

:rofl

I've never fed tilapia to Dash. I wonder if he likes it. He eats salmon. :o:rofl

• Supporter

Okie dokie.

I thought I would have to change the water on Friday, but the readings were:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite <.25

Nitrate between 10-20, but closer to 20

So then I thought Saturday would be water change day:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20+

Wewt to no nitrites

Today is water change and I'm almost done with an 80% change.

Things are moving along.

Also, on a side note (and totally un-related) this has been a stressful weekend for me. Taylor (my Basset Hound) was ill on Friday and threw up a sock... took him to the vet and sure enough he had a foreign body in his small intestines so he had emergency intestinal surgery yesterday :( All went well and they removed a sock (presumably the first sock's mate) and he's recovering today at the hospital. JERK! He had me soooooo worried. I'm hoping to bring him home sometime tomorrow morning pending the vet's OK. Needless to say, I've been a bit preoccupied and haven't had my much needed koko's time or the chance to do a water change so I'm quite happy the water params have been relatively favorable.

I will try to update as I'm hoping to be cycled in the next few days (fingers crossed) and I'll also update on Taylor because I feel like I can overshare with you guys.

Thanks for listening!

• Supporter

Tonight's readings are:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite between .25-.5

Nitrate between 10-20, closer to 20

PH 8

Temp 72.7

Getting closer!

Taylor was release this morning and is home resting. Poor guy aspirated after surgery and has pneumonia in one lung so we are keeping a close eye on him. It can't be easy having surgery as an old man. I'm just happy he's home with us and resting. The rest just needs time to heal. Now if I can just get him to stop having an interest in socks!

It looks like the tank is largely on autopilot as it does its thing. As long as W&H are doing well, you can just let them be and enjoy them when you have time. The little bit of salt in there should be all that you need.

I hope that Taylor is resting and doing well. :hug

Does he have to wear a cone of shame? :o

• Supporter

So sorry to hear about Taylor. So cool to see your cycling is progressing quite well!

You and me both! Once a sock eater, always a sock eater! Thank you, I hope the cycle will continue to sail along smoothy :D

It looks like the tank is largely on autopilot as it does its thing. As long as W&H are doing well, you can just let them be and enjoy them when you have time. The little bit of salt in there should be all that you need.

I hope that Taylor is resting and doing well. :hug

Does he have to wear a cone of shame? :o

Excellent... they seem to be doing well, with the occasional surface piping. So we will plug along until the tank is officially cycled. Wilbur's eye is still bugging me. Haven't had a chance to get some pics, but I'll see if I can do that on a Taylor lull. It's no biggie, I just want to document it in case it turns out to be something... but maybe he'll just end up with slightly buggy eyes?

Thank you... Taylor is drinking water well and is resting very well so I think he's on the right track. Now if I could just get him interested in a little bit of food, I would be even happier. Thankfully, no cone of shame.... yet! He's still quite drugged up (fentanly patch and oral tramadol every 8 hours) but I'm sure soon enough he will want to start licking something. He is so low to the ground that a regular cone doesn't quite work for him so we have this really cool Pro Collar that looks like a life raft doughnut but for dogs. It's inflatable, he can't like anything, and he can use it as a pillow. Win win.

• Supporter

Oh my!! I'm sorry to hear about Taylor. :( I hope he starts feeling better soon. :hug It never ceases to amaze me what dogs will eat. :yikes

Glad your cycle is behaving. You've had a busy week. :teehee

Thanks. He's doing much better. Started to have interest in a tiny bit of food yesterday and eats a little bit every four hours or so. Hooray!

It never rains but it pours! Poor Taylor and poor you. Hopefully your tank is almost cycled and you get some time to relax! Lol.

No kidding! It seems like everything is happening at once around here. Between Taylor, my car breaking down, and me having GERD problems, I'm over this month!!!

Also, in keeping with the "when it rains, it pours" theme, Wilbur's white wen is back as of this morning... it's not as much as last time, but I have pics, which I will post. BLEH!

• Supporter

Okie dokie. So I didn't do a water test last night (for shame!) but I did one early this afternoon and readings are:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate somewhere between 20-40

PH between 7.8-8, but closer to 8

Temp 71ish

^Looks like a water change is in order this evening.

I was originally going to post some pictures of Wilbur's eye with some comparison shots so you guys could see what I mean about it looking a bit buggy. I took pics last night. When I woke up this morning, he has that white stuff back on his wen in the same area, but not as much. Poop. I'm going to see if it will go away on his own, like last time, but wanted to post pics here too:

60f9a9f3-3585-4076-a097-6b8703f193ff_zps

A head on shot showing how the right eye looks a bit buggier than the left

47971961-a9ec-473b-bfc6-3223732adf8d_zps

20140326-20140326-IMG_6082_zpse5bf23bd.j

20140325-20140325-IMG_6023_zps9eb70c1e.j

Silly white stuff

20140326-20140326-IMG_6087_zpsd911ffff.j

Anywhoozle, I'd really like it if he stopped making me worry (fat chance!)

Totally normal (for wen fish) to me! :rofl

This is the roller coaster fun of having orandas. :rofl

Wait until you scrutinize and start imagine red all over the wen, if you haven't already. :yikes:rofl

• Supporter

Totally normal (for wen fish) to me! :rofl

This is the roller coaster fun of having orandas. :rofl

Wait until you scrutinize and start imagine red all over the wen, if you haven't already. :yikes:rofl

Well that's comforting!!! Glad to know I'm just being a bit paranoid :D His wen looks basically normal again. I guess Wilbur's wen will take some getting used to. I mean, I like roller coasters and all, but come on! :rofl And I'm happy to report I haven't gone into straight up imaginary mode where I see red! Yet. Muahahahaha :D

I did a 90% water change last night... it felt really good and I can tell the boys enjoyed it. Hooray clean fresh water!

When Jack's wen started changing colors I posted a thread about it. I thought it was a scratch or Something. I was instructed to dab it with hydrogen peroxide. I think mostly because I was freaking out and Alex wanted to give me something to do. :) anyway, it was just a color change from black to reddish orange. I've since relaxed about wen changes on my orandas.

• Supporter

Thanks, Lisa :) It's nice to hear that you went through something similar and it turned out to be normal wen stuff. Wilbur's wen looks back to normal again :) I will need to stop being such a worry wort and just chill out :D These guys and their wens!

Last night's readings:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite between .5-1, but closer to .5

Nitrate between 10-20

PH 8

Temp 71.7

When Jack's wen started changing colors I posted a thread about it. I thought it was a scratch or Something. I was instructed to dab it with hydrogen peroxide. I think mostly because I was freaking out and Alex wanted to give me something to do. :) anyway, it was just a color change from black to reddish orange. I've since relaxed about wen changes on my orandas.

Hey, Alex. Next time you want to give Lisa something to do, give her my address. I've got lots of spring cleaning to do. :rofl3

NOW do you people see why I'm all :scared when it comes to wens? :tomuch:

Worry worting is a good thing when it comes to keeping our babies in top health! Plus we get to look back on our lives and laugh at ourselves!

Edited by LisaCGold

Hey, Alex. Next time you want to give Lisa something to do, give her my address. I've got lots of spring cleaning to do. :rofl3

NOW do you people see why I'm all :scared when it comes to wens? :tomuch:

I'll come over after I spring clean my home! :) I'll bring lots of hydrogen peroxide to clean out all your dust bunnies! And then I'll give you instructions for cleaning so that I can just sit back and admire your fish.... Edited by LisaCGold