Wilbur and Humphrey's QT

• Supporter

Nothing new to report... all is well in fishy land!

The water got cloudy more quickly this time and has been nice and cloudy over the past few days. Tomorrow is water change day :D

Wilbur and Humphrey say hello!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys :D

Last night's test readings were the same, except for ammonia which is ~.25.

The water has been looking cloudy over the past couple of days:

20140223_094332_zpstqocn2ep.jpg

I was thinking I'd do a water change today (day 4) and clean the canister. Does this sound good?

Gorgeous tank and gorgeous fish :D

• Supporter

Hi guys :D

Last night's test readings were the same, except for ammonia which is ~.25.

The water has been looking cloudy over the past couple of days:

20140223_094332_zpstqocn2ep.jpg

I was thinking I'd do a water change today (day 4) and clean the canister. Does this sound good?

Gorgeous tank and gorgeous fish :D

Aww, thank you :)

• Supporter

Tonight's water change was fun. I rearranged some of the rocks and fake plants :D The boys seem moderately impressed that their slave has given them something new to peruse. The only thing different about this water change was that I didn't add any SafeStart this time... I ran out and funds are a bit tight, so I thought I'd have a go without it and see how things progress.

I also did another weigh in :D Humphrey came in a 66 grams (I'm pretty sure my original weigh in on Humprey was totally wrong. It was 72 grams). Wilbur is 46 grams (a 1 gram increase).

I took some video and some pics tonight too so I will bore you with those as soon as I get them uploaded.

• Supporter

Hi guys!!

Things have been pretty mellow over here... tank readings have been the same (Ammonia ~.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 8ish).

I noticed Wilbur's wen this morning looks a little different on his right side (my left when I look at him head on). I can't tell if it's wen growth, or maybe his wen changing colors, but I wanted to bring it up to make sure it's normal :) I took a video:

He is totally acting normally, happy extended fins, and of course, he's CONSTANTLY starving so I'm not really concerned, but I will keep an eye on it just in case.

Also, the boys get a nice water change tonight :D

EDIT: Wanted to mention it's been a bit warm in the house and temps have gotten between 73-74 in the tank, but they seem OK with it.

Edited by amoonklein

Nothing looks alarming with the wen at this distance, BUT to be safe, just take a really careful look all over, to see if there is any redness or holes in the wen. I don't think there is anything to worry about, but then I scrutinize my wen fish all the time. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Temps of 73-74 are thought to be ideal by some people, even. They certainly aren't alarming, since goldfish can do just as well even 10 degrees higher, although we don't want to go that high unless we really need to, or don't have a choice. :)

• Supporter

Thanks, Alex. There definitely isn't any redness or holes as far as I can tell... just looks a bit "cloudy" in that one area. I'll keep an eye on it though... I feel like I'm always starting at them anyway.

Yeah, they seem much more active than when the tank was around 68-70. In the summers, it can get quite warm, but I try to keep the AC on and the house around 75-78 in the hotter months. I know it's more expensive, but I have elderly pets and want to make sure they are comfortable :D Plus I enjoy it as an added bonus :teehee

Thanks, Alex. There definitely isn't any redness or holes as far as I can tell... just looks a bit "cloudy" in that one area. I'll keep an eye on it though... I feel like I'm always starting at them anyway.

Yeah, they seem much more active than when the tank was around 68-70. In the summers, it can get quite warm, but I try to keep the AC on and the house around 75-78 in the hotter months. I know it's more expensive, but I have elderly pets and want to make sure they are comfortable :D Plus I enjoy it as an added bonus :teehee

:rofl

We are terrible then, because I have my house at 77 during the late spring/summer, and I thought I was being cheap for keeping it so high. :rofl

In the winter, our thermostat is at 70.

I'm not even that elderly, but I like being comfortable. :rofl

• Supporter

I love it!!! :rofl I basically use the animals as an excuse to always keep the house at a comfortable level.

I took a few pics of Wilbur's wen tonight. The more I stare at it, the more it looks like new wen growth... all bubbly and white in some areas. Right?! It's crazy to me because I have usually seen small spots of growth, never a huge section like that! Probably why it freaks me out a bit... I was like WHAAAAAA?!

20140310-20140310-IMG_5679_zps5c54a40a.j

and one up close

814849d2-01e1-4d63-a8be-2313031be656_zps

Anywho, they had a 70-75% water change tonight and seem to be enjoying themselves.

• Supporter

So....... I totally have nitrates :D

:happydance :happydance :happydance :happydance :happydance

Confirmed between 5-10 ppm, closer to 10:

e7efd915-5209-43f2-a817-a15fe7efe1fc_zps

Whoot!!!!

I'm not quite there yet... Once the cycle can process the ammonia completely within 24 hours, then I am officially cycled. Right? If so, this means I'm super close!

Awwwwww yeah :)

Also, I emailed Steve and sent him a few pics of Wilbur and he said he doesn't recall seeing anything like it. He said if it's squishy and decaying, then do an HP swab, but it firm then he'd leave it alone. He also said it could look like pigment change, but that would be weird. (He said weird, not me). LOL. He's been really nice and supportive.

I haven't touched it. It looks better today, less all over white, and more concentrated white (like wen growth) so I'm going to leave it as is and watch it. If I it starts to look worse, then I'll see if it's squishy, but for now, I'd like Wilbur to "handle" it himself and see if nature does it's thing to work itself out. Does this sound good?

Sounds like a great plan. :)

I wanted Steve to be aware of what's going on, because while I don't think it's anything awful is happening at all, I am also one to establish a record of things. :o:rofl

Sounds like all is going quite well. Didn't I tell you that you were going to skip the nitrite stage entirely? :rofl :rofl :rofl

• Supporter

Sounds like a great plan. :)

I wanted Steve to be aware of what's going on, because while I don't think it's anything awful is happening at all, I am also one to establish a record of things. :o:rofl

Sounds like all is going quite well. Didn't I tell you that you were going to skip the nitrite stage entirely? :rofl :rofl :rofl

LOL!! I was JUST telling my husband that :D:rofl

Also, very smart about establishing a record... you haz a smart.... S-M-R-T!!!

:o. He's so cute. :o

I want to pinch his cheeks. :please

Well of course!!!! He would like that very much and I would find it amusing :D

• Supporter

amoonklein! your darlings are very very darling. :P:P:P

hooray for wilbur and humphrey! :greenbanana: ...and you!! very inspiring. :D

Awww thank you :D The whole cycling process has taken a little while, but these two cuties are totally worth the wait AND all of the help received has been fantastical. I would have looked like a crazy lady pulling my hair out without their help. Koko's totally rules.

Awww thank you :D The whole cycling process has taken a little while, but these two cuties are totally worth the wait AND all of the help received has been fantastical. I would have looked like a crazy lady pulling my hair out without their help. Koko's totally rules.

i could not agree more. :) !!!! somewhere *safe* to bring my total dorkitude! hahahahahaha!!!!

hooray for community!

:)

melusine/christine

ps: did you notice that we are both 'old enough' ??? :rofl:rofl

Edited by melusine

• Supporter

i could not agree more. :) !!!! somewhere *safe* to bring my total dorkitude! hahahahahaha!!!!

hooray for community!

:)

melusine/christine

ps: did you notice that we are both 'old enough' ??? :rofl:rofl

LOL YES :D:teehee

Glad to see your guys are doing great!

Thank you :) Me too... hopefully I will be fully cycled soon and these guys can keep on breezing along!