My Favorite stores in NJ

Hey all! So I figured I'd share a few of my favorite spots in northern NJ that I like to shop at for fish and supplies. Since there are so many Jersey folks on here I'm hoping that someone finds this useful!

Adam's Pet Safari- Chester, NJ This is definitely on the list of my favorite stores. It's nestled in Chester, a quaint town that's right off route 206. They have a decent selection of fish and plants. They also have a huge selection of supplies and tanks, including some harder-to-find brands like eheim and hikari. Prices tend to be a little on the higher side. They usually have nice looking goldfish which are either labeled "Imported" (always a bit nicer) or "Domestic" (not as true to type, but cheaper). Worth the drive if you're close enough!

The Pet Shanty- Scotch Plains, NJ My go-to LFS. A really short drive for me! Charlie and Jess are great people and I can't begin to say enough good about them. Family owned and operated for over 20 years. Huge selection of freshwater fish... they have 4 rooms of tanks! The first room is freshwater community fish/goldfish, the second room is marine corals/fish, the third room is devoted to African Cichlids/big oddballs, and the fourth room is wild-caught specialty species. Fish are great quality! Not a ton of supplies and tanks, but Charlie is always willing to order whatever you want! Prices are fair as well.

Ely's Tropical Fish- Florham Park, NJ This store is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Devoted solely to fish, mostly freshwater. The establishment itself looks rather sketchy, almost like a bunch of outbuildings and sheds that are connected. I actually considered not going inside the first time I made a trip here.. Lol! But the selection and quality of fish is bar-none. Lots of hard to find species and big oddballs like stingrays and catfish. This store is mostly geared towards selling livestock, but they do have a limited amount of supplies and equipment available too. Imported goldfish are gorgeous, albeit expensive. DEFINITELY worth checking out! Not many people know about this place... it's nestled right off a main road in Florham park but still isn't well known. It even says so on the store's receipts... "Ely's Tropical Fish- The Best Kept Secret in NJ". I chuckle every time.

Absolutely Fish- Clifton, NJ Only been here a few times. Everyone raves about this store. It's a traffic nightmare to get there on the weekends which tends to deter me. To be honest, I didn't find it to be anything special. The people were knowledgeable and friendly, but their equipment and dry goods were grossly overpriced. I spent lots of time looking around and ended up not buying anything. A great store, but definitely geared to selling big show tanks and marine fish to major contract clients like businesses or extremely affluent people. I think it's still worth checking out though.

Anyone ever been to any of these places? What did you think? Let's discuss! :)

I'm jealous; it sounds like you Jersey folk have a lot of awesome lfs's!

Yeah, we do have quite a few! They're something I would really miss if I moved out of state. Being close to an international airport really does allow stores to broaden their imported livestock selections!

Edited by James95

It's a shame that those are such a hike to get to. Have you been to Tropiquarium? That's our favorite Jersey hangout!

Nope! Everyone keeps telling me it's worth the trip... Maybe I'll have to take a ride one weekend. I heard they tend to be a bit overpriced. Is that true in your experience(s)?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

It's a shame that those are such a hike to get to. Have you been to Tropiquarium? That's our favorite Jersey hangout!

Nope! Everyone keeps telling me it's worth the trip... Maybe I'll have to take a ride one weekend. I heard they tend to be a bit overpriced. Is that true in your experience(s)?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I actually believe that the opposite is true! Their plant prices are amazing, and I purchased two of my fish there. It's an amazing store, and definitely worth the trip, but be prepared to go home with a car full of stuff!

Love this !!
Pet Shanty is my favorite :D:heart
me and the bf often go there on afternoons to destress and look at the fish lol
we usually bring our pup with us too and get him a treat :)

i've heard good things about adams in chester ! really should drive out there and check it out :P
this is a wonderful thread, thankyou for sharing this awesome new jersey gold !!

can't wait to visit the other locations as well ;)

YAY NJ!! :heart

Edited by Elisa