Frozen Blood Worms

stech

My crew gets bloodworms 3 times a week. I also get the flats over cubes.

Other good foods are frozen brine shrimp, homemade gel foods, Repashy gel foods, and various blanched veggies are great too :)

Edited by Mernany

I feed the hikari cubes and just plop them in. If you have a strong filter, it may be a good idea to turn it off until they finish eating. It shouldn't take too long but my filters like to try to eat some bloodworms for themselves too. :teehee

I feed the hikari cubes and just plop them in. If you have a strong filter, it may be a good idea to turn it off until they finish eating. It shouldn't take too long but my filters like to try to eat some bloodworms for themselves too. :teehee

You just throw in the frozen cubes? I always thaw in tank water beforehand. Hmm. Personal preference, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frozen Blood worms good food? Looking for good food for Ranchus beside pellets.

They are quite fantastic, and is highly recommended for goldfish.

You can actually feed this many times a week, although it probably should not be their only sources of food. :)

That sounds like a good diet to me! You can also supplement your Hikari with other high-quality pellets, such as New Life Spectrum and Omega One, both of which are available at Petco. :)

I am planning to feed Saki-hikari Purple and frozen blood worms for my three 3.5/4 inch ranchus. Plus some type of veggies.

I'm not a fan of the Saki, but many people love it.

I like the Hikari Lionhead much better. I don't care for the probiotics in the SH. I don't think it's the right kind.

I am planning to feed Saki-hikari Purple and frozen blood worms for my three 3.5/4 inch ranchus. Plus some type of veggies.

I like the Hikari Lionhead much better. I don't care for the probiotics in the SH. I don't think it's the right kind.

What don't you like about the Saki-Hikari Purple? Floating issues?

What don't you like about the Saki-Hikari Purple? Floating issues?

Yes, my fish had terrible floating issues on it.

Lately, my opinion has changed drastically on this whole issue regarding foods containing probiotics. Even though the bacteria contained in the food of Saki Hikari have been shown to be able to be helpful

http://www.m-hikari.com/asb/asb2013/asb1-4-2013/ghaneASB1-4-2013.pdf

we actually don't have any idea what long term feeding will do. All of these studies stop at about 2-3 months.

You just throw in the frozen cubes? I always thaw in tank water beforehand. Hmm. Personal preference, I guess.

I used to thaw it as well but they seem to like biting at the cubes until they drop. :teehee

I used to thaw it as well but they seem to like biting at the cubes until they drop. :teehee

I just have an aversion to feeding them foods that are frozen, simply because I don't know if it impacts their digestion or not. That's why I let it have a good thaw (15-30 minutes) in tank water first. :)

I just have an aversion to feeding them foods that are frozen, simply because I don't know if it impacts their digestion or not. That's why I let it have a good thaw (15-30 minutes) in tank water first. :)

I never really thought of that... wouldn't it thaw pretty quickly in 68° water? I imagine as they fall, they're thawing. :o Edited by Chai

I never really thought of that... wouldn't it thaw pretty quickly in 68° water? :o
My water is about 64° and a 1" cube thaws in less than a minute. Edited by Justin

Haha I am not telling you not to do what you are doing. I was just sharing that I prefer to thaw if first.

A big reason for this is that I have some rather large fish who can gulp half a cube easily. I want them to work for their food if I can help it. :)

I feed my fish their blood worms in a five gallon bucket, while I'm cleaning their tank. It's great because they seem to look forward to cleaning days, and I don't get any blood worms in my filters.

Haha I am not telling you not to do what you are doing. I was just sharing that I prefer to thaw if first.

A big reason for this is that I have some rather large fish who can gulp half a cube easily. I want them to work for their food if I can help it. :)

Ahaha, I've always wondered what fish like yours do with cubes. :teehee

As they grow older, I'll thaw it for sure.

....or once my largest fish figures out that he can bite from the floating cube. That's mainly why I haven't done so, he doesn't understand that concept yet. :peeka