Good Veggie food

stech

What is good Veggie food for Goldies (Ranchus)? I don't want to feed only pellets (proteins). I know duckweed is good but what others and do they have to be boil and cook? I know peas may cause gas.

Soylent and Super Green by Repashy are excellent veggie foods.

You can also find spirulina flakes/pellets some places, frozen seaweed foods or dried seaweed sheets.

Spinach is good in small doses. Dandelion leaves apparently are good. Leafy lettuce and kale are fine.

If you want to use actual plain veggies, then pretty much any green leafy vegetable, from romaine lettuce to spinach and kale, are great food. Slices of peeled cucumber and zucchini are great as well. If you have cucumbers with the big seeds, remove these though. They are not harmful for the fish, but they can make a big mess at times.

Cooked green beans are very healthy as well, and also entertaining for the fish and yourself.
Nothing like watching your fish swim around with a giant green "cigar" in their mouth :lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I read about the cucumber, zucchini and peas. I tried salad, but it wasn't a success.
Cucumber is good (pealed and lightly boiled), but peas are the Nr. 1 at the moment (ído not forget to peal them!)!
I also heard about spenach, but didn't tried it yet. I also give "Sera Goldy" flakes and "Sera Goldy Color Spirulina" granules - wich my fish adores! :)

• Supporter

Hello!

I read about the cucumber, zucchini and peas. I tried salad, but it wasn't a success.

Cucumber is good (pealed and lightly boiled), but peas are the Nr. 1 at the moment (ído not forget to peal them!)!

I also heard about spenach, but didn't tried it yet. I also give "Sera Goldy" flakes and "Sera Goldy Color Spirulina" granules - wich my fish adores! :)

i feed cucumber from time to time as well :) after you peel the skin off, be sure to remove the seeds to. soften the flesh quite a bit on the boil and cut it up into bite sized pieces, it often helps when they can fit one piece comfortably in their mouths :) Zucchini is another nice vegetable they like. again, peel the skin away and remove the seeds. spinach is another favourite but be sure to soften that enough so that you are able to tear it by just squeezing it between your fingers.

Newton likes spinach but loves dandelion leaves more. During the summer, he gets a fair amount of lightly blanched dandelion fresh from my disastrous yard!

Never thought of dandelion leaves.

What a great idea.

i feed cucumber from time to time as well :) after you peel the skin off, be sure to remove the seeds to. soften the flesh quite a bit on the boil and cut it up into bite sized pieces, it often helps when they can fit one piece comfortably in their mouths :) Zucchini is another nice vegetable they like. again, peel the skin away and remove the seeds. spinach is another favourite but be sure to soften that enough so that you are able to tear it by just squeezing it between your fingers.

Yeah, Helen. Thanks!

I use the long cucumber we call it "snake cucumber". That doesn't have big seeds.

I've tried orange today (read about it somewhere). He was picking and eating it, but wouldn't stick to it. But Yamamoto-chan loved it! :D