Sign in to follow this  
Acro

For Sale or Trade: Albino Bristlenose Plecos

I have about 25 (two inch) Albino Bristlenose Plecos for sale or trade.

For sale:

$5 each

$7 for 2

$10 for 5

I will trade for:

Hornwort
Hygroryza aristata

Marimo moss-balls

Anubias
Bucephalandra

Just send a PM!

Thanks.

:D

Edited by Acro

Sean's BNs are awesome! I have two, and love them!

If anyone has the space and the inclination, and the proper setup, you should get some! :)

Thanks Alex! I'm glad you are still enjoying them. :D

As for everyone else (in case you didn't know) bristlenose plecos are small (5 inches as adults), are compatible with goldfish, and love to eat algae! Check out some before and after shots ( http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105511-thanks-bristlebabies/?hl=bristlebabies ) and see what they can do for you!

And because everyone loves pictures:

albino_bristlenose.jpg

cimg5113.jpg

cimg5108.jpg

Feel free to ask questions!

Trade offers are welcome too.

Just send a PM.

Thanks!

Edited by Acro

Just a quick question regarding biology...when do they grow their bristles? I have yet to see any on mine, and have been wondering if they both are females. :)

Male fish from that batch should start to get their bristles about now. You may have 2 girls. :D

Edited by Acro

I love them but had to rehome my pair. They can injure goldfish.

I have 11 of them in 4 different tanks. As long as you feed them when algae is low, they usually don't cause an issue. The only time mine showed any aggression was when my male was guarding eggs and the goldies got too close. But he never attacked.

I have never had any issues with mine attacking goldfish, but s/he is very good at getting food when it is feeding time, so I dont think he is ever hungry

That picture of them all in the cup is so cute! I would totally buy one from you if I had more room and/or didn't already have one. For anyone interested you should go for it! They're awesome little fish and mine is by far the favorite tropical of both my husband and myself. She keeps my planted tank sooooo clean without damaging any of the plants. They're very interesting to watch as well.

Whenever mixing species in an aquarium (and when adding anything to a tank), there is risk involved. However, taking a few precautions when mixing bristlenose with goldfish, can result in zero incidents. I know that for myself (and many others) there have never been any problems.

One thing bristlenose plecos always need is wood in their aquarium. They rasp on it and it is an important part of their diet.

I will address a few other precautions below . . .

I have 11 of them in 4 different tanks. As long as you feed them when algae is low, they usually don't cause an issue. The only time mine showed any aggression was when my male was guarding eggs and the goldies got too close. But he never attacked.

Yes, bristlenose must be given supplemented food once algae runs out.

I have never had any issues with mine attacking goldfish, but s/he is very good at getting food when it is feeding time, so I dont think he is ever hungry

It is helpful to feed bristlenose plecos in an area where their food won't be stolen. This can be in some sort of pleco "cave" or behind an object that goldfish can't easily access. Veggie clips work well too, as the food will stay within reach of the bristlenose and won't be stolen.

That picture of them all in the cup is so cute! I would totally buy one from you if I had more room and/or didn't already have one. For anyone interested you should go for it! They're awesome little fish and mine is by far the favorite tropical of both my husband and myself. She keeps my planted tank sooooo clean without damaging any of the plants. They're very interesting to watch as well.

Another reason bristlenose do well with goldfish is because of their temperature requirements. They are comfortable in a range of about 70F to 80F and this allows them do live as a "cold water" fish or a "tropical".

Five fish have been claimed (from another forum).

Send a PM and get yours now!

:D

How much room do they need?

If kept in a species only tank, it is common for 1 male and 2 females to be kept in a 20 gallon tank. As for space when being kept with goldfish, they mainly swim on the bottom and sides of the tank, so they do not take up goldfish swimming area. However, filtration is the main factor to think about, as 1 bristlenose will produce about as much waste as 1 goldfish. So when thinking of stocking levels, count a bristlenose as 1 goldfish. :D

Edited by Acro

So if I put a pair in my 55 gallon with 5 shubunkins, I'd be pushing it! :(

Way over stocked :o

So if I put a pair in my 55 gallon with 5 shubunkins, I'd be pushing it! :(

I think you could manage it if you got another 55 gallon and placed 3 goldfish in one, and 2 goldfish and a pair of bristlenose in the other. ;)

:P