Hikari algae wafers

stech

Here is the ingredients list for Hikari Algae Wafers:

Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ Meal, Starch, Dried Seaweed Meal, Dried Bakery Product, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate Dehydrated, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Krill Meal, Spirulina, Garlic, Dl-Methionine, Chlorella, Astaxanthin, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Oil, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Disodium Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Blue 2 (Artificial Color).

(Source: drsfostersmith.com)

I try to minimize grain in my fish food. If there is grain, I would prefer whole grains.

For more veggies and algae: I recommend Spirulina Flakes or Salad Supreme from goldfishconnections.com. Another one is Repashy Super Green (not from goldfishconnections). The Repashy one doesn't have grain in the first several ingredients. I suspect this to be true for the ones at goldfishconnections.

Edited by LisaCGold

I give them to my goldfish occasionally. Not sure if they're nutritious for them, but it's fun to watch them eat those wafers.

Mine occasionally get some of these, but more as a treat than anything.

If you want an easy, healthy algae treat you can buy plain Nori (dried sushi seaweed) at most grocery stores. (make sure it is not flavored with anything!) Just put a strip of it on your veggie clip and let them have at it! Mine really love it.

I like to incorporate nori and Repashy Soilent Green (along with other veggies, wheat germ and oatmeal) into a gel-based food that I freeze. The Repashy has a lot of algae and is well balanced nutritionally. You can add extras like garlic and omega fish oil as well.

As you can see from Jared's post, there's not much algae in there, since the first 3-4 ingredients make up the overwhelming bulk of the food.

If I may make 2 unsolicited suggestions, I would like to recommend to you shrimp pellets and spirulina flakes from goldfishconnection.com. I love those, way way more than I ever do Pro-Gold. :)