How many nerite snails for 75g tank?

Andy228

I don't know about nerites particularly but my ponds and ramshorns poop like that. I would get pond snails or ramshorns. In my experience pond snails prefer floating plants to lay and will reproduce faster than ramshorns so they can be eaten nicely. Ramshorns will love laying on anubias and both will eat anything but shouldn't eat a live and healthy plant but will eat dead and dying leaves. I had a nerite with my goldies once and it didn't end well, they get biting his shell and we moved him to the trop tank because he kept getting flipped over.

• 4 weeks later...

My nerites do a great job most of the time. But I have a decent amount in my 55 because I broke down my tropical system and didn't have the heart to part with them. Mine typically live 1-3 years. I buy the cheapest olive or zebra types.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a nerite in my tank. He's a busy little bugger when it comes to water scum and that kind of thing, but I find that he won't really bother with the brown algae that grows on my tank walls. I'm considering a mystery snail to see if he'll eat it. :(

I've got a nerite in my tank. He's a busy little bugger when it comes to water scum and that kind of thing, but I find that he won't really bother with the brown algae that grows on my tank walls. I'm considering a mystery snail to see if he'll eat it. :(

How large is your tank? Nerites tend to go for diatoms first, so it's odd that yours isn't. Most other snail species aren't amazing at algae removal, at least not for diatoms.

How large is your tank? Nerites tend to go for diatoms first, so it's odd that yours isn't. Most other snail species aren't amazing at algae removal, at least not for diatoms.

He's in a 10 gallon tank right now, and he was in a 15 gallon a few days ago. Also, I've seen him eat the algea off the live plants, and even eat the plants themselves.. but when it comes to the glass? Won't touch it, or if he does it barely puts a dent in. :(

Mystery snails most likely won't either. So, get snails only because you want to have them. They are quite poor at these clean up jobs, but that's true of every type of animal that's supposed to love to eat algae, brown or green. :rofl

He's in a 10 gallon tank right now, and he was in a 15 gallon a few days ago. Also, I've seen him eat the algea off the live plants, and even eat the plants themselves.. but when it comes to the glass? Won't touch it, or if he does it barely puts a dent in. :(
Try introducing them to it! If there is a place I want my snails to be I put them on it. They'll get the picture :rofl

Yike! Read mystery snails breed a lot. I might just buy one and see.

They may, but not necessarily will. First off you need either a pair, or be lucky enough to buy a inseminated female. Kind of interesting how they produce these egg clusters, but then it's honestly no fun when you are suddenly stuck with a couple hundred baby mystery snails that you don't know what to do with. Releasing them into nature is illegal in most places since they are an invasive species, and who will buy them off of you if they can buy them at pet stores?

Generally, I think the better choice for your tank would be a small pleco, such as a bristlenose, clown, or rubberlip.

It would still need to be fed in addition to the algae consumed, with fresh veggies in the tank. Algae wafers will be not good as the goldfish WILL eat them before the pleco has a chance to get to them.

Snails just really do not clean the algae off that well, especially when you have only a small number. I saw it in my 20g tropical with multiple horned nerites. They just never got the algae off the plants properly. Three days after adding a clown pleco, the plants are clean ever since. :)

Mystery snails can produce large clutches of eggs, but if you don't want babies you can remove the egg sacs from the glass and either throw it away or drop it in the water. The eggs will 'drown' and provide a nice snack for your fish and snails.

Mystery snails can produce large clutches of eggs, but if you don't want babies you can remove the egg sacs from the glass and either throw it away or drop it in the water. The eggs will 'drown' and provide a nice snack for your fish and snails.

Yes! Also, keep in mind that female snails can (and probably will) lay unfertilized eggs! I had one of mine lay a clutch that wasn't fertilized, and the chain gang really loved them!

Apple snails have done really well in my tank. I've never had my goldfish nip at them. I have never seen any other type of snail for sale in my area, but I think apple snails are just beautiful.

I found out that I need to physically feed them. They were dying faster than I thought was normal and I realized the goldfish were eating all the food before they could get to any. The poor snails were probably just eating goldfish poop and algae. So, what I do now is hold a chunk of food by their mouths and they gobble it up! I swear they have grown significantly since I started doing this.

I've never seen eggs though, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if the conditions just aren't right for them to lay eggs (or the water level could be too high). I would actually like it if they did, but I haven't done any research into it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*