How many nerite snails for 75g tank?

Andy228

Interested in buying nerite snails to help clean algae. How many snail is ideal? Anybody has issue with them laying eggs? Just moved my fishes into 75g tank really no algae on the glass but some on anubias. Where is a good place to buy? Visited several local Petco and Petsmart, they only have mystery snails. Thanks

IMG_20140209_190313_zpsblv5o1xf.jpg

I would start with just a few Horned Nerites. They are small and can easily climb onto the Anubias leaves. I don't think they will help a lot with the glass and they will lay (sterile) eggs. But, they may help clean the plants. I purposely place my snails on leaves that need cleaning :rofl

PS: I found mine on Ebay

Edited by jmetzger72

My fish attempted to eat my horned nerites. They didn't seem able to flip themselves back over when a fish swam by and flipped them either. :o But I know many members like the little horned ones. I put mine in my betta tank. They are doing much better in there.

I prefer the regular sized ones. I got mine at Petco. Did you ask if they carried them? Maybe they were out . . . :idont

Otherwise, like Jared said, ebay is full of them. :D

I would go with about 3 of them. :nana

Thanks. They are expensive in eBay. Just learn mystery snail is apple snail. Might buy two from a local Petco. Is two week quarantine sufficient? They eat repashy jel food?

Awesome. Going to check it out tomorrow. Nice fishes. Did you buy them locally? I am looking for short tail ryukin.

I bought Saki and Tatsu at Chicago Aquarium. They generally have great goldfish including real Ranchus. The other good store for fish is Old Town Aquarium which is where I got Nishiki.

Edited by jmetzger72

Sounds like they have good selection. Read on yelp cell phone needs to be turned off... many poor customer service reviews. But I going to check it out tomorrow.

They've always been really nice to me and my sister when I've gone there.

They might starve not much algae. :) sure I can chime in.

Algae wafers. :)

Even if there were enough algae, it would be gone in no time.

In my experience at least, these creatures are so much fun to have, but they are not very good cleaners. Eventually, they give up most pretenses of cleaning. :rofl

When I do my weekly WC, I take them all out, put them in a small container and toss in some algae wafers and Repashy. I leave them there for several hours (overnight on occasion if I forget to put them back in the main tank :peeka ) to eat and then return them to the main tank. They will find food. Especially once a tank has been set up for a few weeks or more. :)

Yike! Read mystery snails breed a lot. I might just buy one and see.

They may, but not necessarily will. First off you need either a pair, or be lucky enough to buy a inseminated female. Kind of interesting how they produce these egg clusters, but then it's honestly no fun when you are suddenly stuck with a couple hundred baby mystery snails that you don't know what to do with. Releasing them into nature is illegal in most places since they are an invasive species, and who will buy them off of you if they can buy them at pet stores?

Generally, I think the better choice for your tank would be a small pleco, such as a bristlenose, clown, or rubberlip.

It would still need to be fed in addition to the algae consumed, with fresh veggies in the tank. Algae wafers will be not good as the goldfish WILL eat them before the pleco has a chance to get to them.

Snails just really do not clean the algae off that well, especially when you have only a small number. I saw it in my 20g tropical with multiple horned nerites. They just never got the algae off the plants properly. Three days after adding a clown pleco, the plants are clean ever since. :)

Bought one nerite for my 56g. Have 3 ranchus. They flipped him over all the time and eventually sucked him out. ;-( . $4 snack. My mystery snails are fairing off a lot better and are not picked on that much.

I have had mixed luck with nerites. Mine did a good job cleaning but did not live very long and shut down for a long while before officially dying.

My apple snails are beautiful and, after one non-fatal antenna incident, have done very well in my tank. They do clean a small bit of brown algae but mostly they eat the veggie I put in and crawl around looking all purpley and pretty.

Hahaa. Thanks dieselplower they will probably freeze to death. CA closes on monday will try again another day. Might get one nerite and one apple snail. Hopefully they won't be able to breed.