To Fish in London. Fish-In Cycle Diary

1 TBSP for 5 gallons is used when treating disease. For nitrites, use 1 tsp per 10 gallons. So 1 TBSP will be perfect. :D

As far as the heater, since it is rated for up to 60 gallons and your tank is 30, I would set it on the lower side. Can you set it to a temp or is it more of a +/- setting? That's what it looked like online. If it's a +/- I would set it closer to the - side, maybe at 1/4 the total distance between + and - . Does that make sense? Since you're heating a smaller volume of water than it's rated you don't want to crank it all the way up. :D

Are you going to be able to monitor it for a few hours and see how warm it gets? I would shoot for around 70-72*.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand you set it to a specific temperature that it is supposed to keep. it constantly measures the temperature of the tank and displays it.

I will ned to go to bed in an hour. it is late here in the uk lol.

And then I am off to work tomorrow.

Am I better off waiting until after work tomorrow?

I will have a couple of hours time then?

Just changing the water right now. Sorry for the long pauses between answers.

And thanks for helping

Right I have changed the water. 50%

the fish are in a seperate bowl at the moment. i sued the opportunity to feed them I hadn't yet today.

I have added amquel plus to my tank and the salt. How long until that dissolves. I will wait a bit before I put the fish back in and test the water before I do.

I am soo excited about my cycle starting. Yupiee!!

Also made far less of a mess changing the water this time. used the python. Still haven't been able to remove the aerator. So I rolled it up to my bathroom and did some mouth action. (I have strong lungs lol). just had the water drain directly into the tub.

Then refilled with a bucket. and a plate.

I am getting better at this. Fish still don't like being caught though lol

I leave my fish in when I do WCs . . .

I would either set the heater on the lowest setting and add it tonight or wait til tomorrow to add it when you can keep your eye on the temp. :D

The salt needs to be dissolved before you add the fish back to the tank. Stir the water around. It shouldn't take too long. Next time you add salt, toss it into the toe end of some pantyhose (if you even have any :rofl ) and let it hang into the tank to dissolve. Or put the salt in a container of water and let it dissolve while you're doing the WC. Most of it should be dissolved by the time you're done then just stir til the rest of it dissolves.

I should have thought about dissolving it first duhhh.

But the pantyhose trick is a great idea for next time.

Thanks.

Hmm i haven't quite made my mind up on my heater yet. But I think i am tending towards waiting for tomorrow night. Don't want it to fry my fish.

Hi Dandy, good morning. Glad we are now seeing some results that make sense. Given the ammonia burns on the fish, I think that there might be something wonky with your ammonia test. It's never registered ammonia, has it? I can't remember.

Anyway, as Lisa said, the nitrites can go up fairly quickly so its important to keep on the water changes. I hope you get your python issue resolved.

Morning motherrdcap. I had a little ammonia to start off with but not much. I did have ammonia in my tap water though. And a lot of ammonia in the fishbowl. But I never had an ammonia spike in my tank. Is there anyway I can verify my test is working?

I am findig it really difficult to unscrew the aerator from the tap. But the watervmchange yesterday was pretty easy anyway

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Hi Dandy, glad your changing is getting easier. If the bowl tested posting using the same equip. everything must be in working order. I suppose if you really wanted to try it, you could test with actual ammonia (like cleaning ammonia), but it looks as if things are under way in the tank if you have nitrites.

So I have started up my heater. It has a thermometer that actively measures the temperature.

I now know that the temperature in my tank was 61.7F. Pretty cold. I have set the new temp to 71F. At the moment the display is blinking blue telling me that the water temperature is below my set temperature.

Tonights results.

Monday 17/02/14

PH 7.4 to 7.6

Ammonia 0 ppm (maybe going towards 0.25ppm)

Nitrite 0.25 ppm to 0.5ppm

Nitrate 40 to 80 ppm (no change yet with the nitrazorb)

I need to do another waterchange right? And another dose of amquel?

I did a 50% wc. Added amquel Plus and 1 1/2 TBLSP of Salt.

The new tank values are

PH 7.4 to 7.6

Ammonia 0 to 0.25 ppm

Nitrite 0.25 ppm

Nitrate 40 to 80 ppm

Water temperature is currently at 64.4C.

My stick on thermometer is blue on 66, green on 68 and yellow on 21. What does this mean?

Fish are swimmng around quite actively.

I tried to feed them peas steeped in garic. But theyve just nibbled a bit. Hmm. I think they might be a bit constipated.

Hmm Pascal (I really need to change her name) keeps clamping her fins.

I switch off the bubbler other night. It makes a lot of noise and my flatmates sleep next to it. And I switched it off and she started constantly clamping her fins.

Is it the change in temperature?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Hmm. I think its the water temperature. She clamps her fins when she is on the side with the heater. Not when she swims to the other side. Eduardo on the other hand seems really happy. these fish are so picky.

They also keep eating the peas and spitting them back out.