To Fish in London. Fish-In Cycle Diary

So I have been advised to keep a diary of my Fish-In Cycle and hopefully you guys can walk me through it. I have no experience so any help will be much much appreciated.

How I became a Goldfish Owner:

My colleague moved to spain and gave me her Goldfish.

Eduardo and Pascal are one year old and have lived in a fishbowl for two years.

Why I am doing a Fish-In cycle:

Both fish seemed extremely uncomfortable in their fishbowl.

I was performing daily water changes and yet Pascal was constantly gulping at the surface.

I bought the new tank and the equipment. once my water test kit arrived I tested the wear in the bowl and from the tap. The tap water contains ammonia and nitrate. So water changes didn't help much.

So I decided it would be better for the fish to put them in the new tank from the start and just do very frequent water changes.

The tank has been running since Thursday and contains:

- An External Fish Tank Filter. 1000 L/H All Pond Solutions 1000EF. It contains plastic balls, ceramic rings and activated carbon

- A Tetra APS150 Air Pump attached to a bubble wall. (I set this up today and my fish absolutely love it. They keep playing in it. It's like watching two kids going down a slide)

- Natures Ocean Live Reef Sand Black Beach

- A couple of Plastic plants

- One Java Fern ( I realized our tap water contains loads of nitrates and I hope this will help. I put the plant in today)

- Riverrocks

(- Still waiting on my water heater. A Fluva E 200w)

I am using:

-Amquel plus

-Nutrafin cycle

-API Freshwater master testkit (drops)

I added the fish on friday.

Tap water:

PH: Between 7.4 and 7.6

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Nitrite:0ppm

Nitrate: 40 - 80 ppm

I don't think my cycle has started yet. here are my values.

Thursday 06/02/14

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Friday 07/02714

Ammonia: 0 to 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 40-80 ppm

(This is when i tested my tap water and realized the ammonia and nitrate was coming directly from the tap. i also added the goldfish)

Added Amquel

Added Nutrafin Cycle

Saturday 08/02/14

Ph: 8.0

Ammonia: 0 to 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 40 - 80 ppm

Water appeared cloudy in the morning

Added Nutrafin cycle and the Java fern

Sunday 09/02/14

PH: 8.2 (did it rise?)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate 40 -80 ppm

Added Amquel

Added Nutrafin cycle

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went to feed my fish this morning. And neither of them7 ate much. Eduardo hasn't eaten much for a couple of days but usually Pascal hoover's things up. Today they just swam down. Looked at the pellets, made a false attempt to suck them up and swam away again. :/

My water is pretty cold, since the flat is not heated much. Temp doesn't even show up on my thermostat since its below 66F.

I am still waiting on my thermostat. I hope the lack of appetit is due to the cold water and not what is in the water.

Going to do a water test tonight and 50% WC

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Tonights results:

Monday 10/02/14

Ph : above 7.8

Ph High range. 8.0

Ammonia: pretty sure it's 0 (is this normal? shouldn't it be more?)

Nitrite: still 0 :(

Nitrate: 40 - 80 ppm. Those bloody nitrates

temp. below 66

Unfortunately my heater, gh/kh test and new thermostat haven't arrived yet. also that stuff I ordered to put in my filter to deal with the nitrates. grr

Eduardo hasn't been eating much since I put him in the tank.

Pascal was eating at first. But wouldn't touch the sinking pellets this morning. Both of them are currently wiggling at the window in the spot where I normally feed them though.

Eduardo's fins have become a little more black at the tips. But I was told this was expected and a sign of healing.

Both fish seem happy and active.

'

Why don't you dose with Amquel tonight and not change the water. Your ammonia is not going up and the Amquel will neutralise the nitrate for 24 hours. Sometimes I think it is better to just let things sit.

Retest tomorrow and be ready to do a water change.

Why don't you dose with Amquel tonight and not change the water. Your ammonia is not going up and the Amquel will neutralise the nitrate for 24 hours. Sometimes I think it is better to just let things sit.

Be careful with Amquel...this is not something that can be dosed daily, because it can crash your pH. :(

It's Amquel plus, Alex. We checked earlier. :)

I understand, and it's STILL an issue with pH! Maya and bubbles22 both had issues with this.

Bubbles said that her pH crashed when she went beyond 1x Amquel plus daily, so it's something to keep in mind.

I understand that in some places, you cannot easily acquire Prime.

This pH issue is something noted by other customers as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Amquel-Plus-Water-Conditioner/product-reviews/B000256EMG

I had already dosed my tank with amquel plus before this was posted. Got really worried about the ph crash reading the reviews. So went to test my ph. It is still at 8. Actually it seems to be higher on my tank than from my tap. Tap water is only 7.8

I had already dosed my tank with amquel plus before this was posted. Got really worried about the ph crash reading the reviews. So went to test my ph. It is still at 8. Actually it seems to be higher on my tank than from my tap. Tap water is only 7.8

I'm sorry if I caused you to panic. That was not my intention.

The concern with Amquel Plus is that people have had issues when they use it daily, some of which have been at doses beyond 1X.

If you stick to 1x daily or less, this should not be much of a concern.

However, it is good to monitor pH, which was my point in posting. :)

Ni worries I'm new to this and therefore slightly neurotic. Am currently spending mist of my day when not at work reading through the threads on this site. I am sure I can get prime via Amazon. I think I actually saw it and then went for amquel because it had good reviews. But I don't want my ph to crash while I'm at work, so i''ll probably order some prime. A d daily monitoring of course. Cheers for the heads up

I'm not anywhere near new to the site and I'm slightly neurotic too. :tomuch:

Welcome to the Slightly Neurotic Club. :rofl3

Um, you are not in the Slight Neurotic Club...we kicked you up, remember? :rofl

Be careful with Amquel...this is not something that can be dosed daily, because it can crash your pH. :(

I've read the stories but haven't found any non-anecdotal studies. Some day, I would actually like to get a bottle of A plus and do some semi-controlled experiments with tank water. I'm a Prime addict but because we don't know exactly what is in A plus or Prime, one wonders sometimes. Has Koko ever experienced a ph drop using Amquel plus?

But this is another thread (and an interesting one :) Keep us updated this evening Dandelion.

Well, as I said, knowing that people whom I trust had these issues, it would be terrible on my part not to issue a warning at the least. I am also not saying not to use Amquel, but to watch the pH as one goes forward dosing daily.

As with anything else, warnings may or may not be ignored, at the discretion and comfort of each individual. :)

By the way, I did try to take this up with the chemists at Kordon, who never returned my call.

As far as I know, Koko had not experienced these issues. Of course: 1) Koko is quite an adept at buffering at tanks, 2) she has not had to add Amquel Plus daily.

I would love to do it. The truth is, I have 'evidence' that excessive Prime lowers ph - in the sense that I overdosed with Prime for a few days and simultaneously my ph lowered. When I tested in a more controlled fashion with a bucket of water, the ph did not lower and I assumed that something else (or a combination of something elses) was responsible for the ph drop.

I would love to do it. The truth is, I have 'evidence' that excessive Prime lowers ph - in the sense that I overdosed with Prime for a few days and simultaneously my ph lowered. When I tested in a more controlled fashion with a bucket of water, the ph did not lower and I assumed that something else (or a combination of something elses) was responsible for the ph drop.

I wouldn't doubt it, which is why I have everyone who would listen raise the kH to 150ppm at least. This way, the system is well buffered, and I believe it also contributes to the overall health of the tank.

In fact, during the times when one might feasibly have to add Prime daily etc., one should really have the kH at 200ppm or more.

Dandelion Blue, I apologize for this distraction, but I believe that this is something that is relevant to your current situation as well, because it brings up the importance of buffering the system.