Hornwort?

James95

Does anyone have experience trying to grow hornwort in a goldfish tank? A few websites says it's one of the only plants they won't touch. I also wanted to try and grow elodea but I think my goldfish would end up eating all of it! I used to have planted livebearer tanks and I really do miss having live plants.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Sigh, hornwort. I grew in the tank all summer long. The needles are a bit like pine needles and I'm not sure that Newton ever ate any of it. It does, however, shed a lot and the tank became a mess. I still have some in my snail tank.

The only things Newt doesn't touch at all are anubias.

I have had great success with both hornwort, and anacharis. I would tell you to get some Potassium Permanganate (off of ebay), and then wait for it to arrive at your door. These plants are far too delicate to go through a bleach dip, so PP is my go-to for these guys. When you have it, go out and purchase your plants from whatever source that you like. We'll help you with sterilization, and then you'll see how your plants do with your fish.

I really find that plant eating is a highly individualized behavior, and there isn't any surefire way to know whether they will eat the plants, without trying. My recommendation is to buy several bunches of anacharis, and a few bunches of hornwort, just so it gives the plants enough time to settle in, and take off, before all of it becomes lunch. :rofl3 When I buy new bunched plants, you'll typically see me purchase no less than three bunches. Especially with something as inexpensive as anacharis and hornwort.

I have had great success with both hornwort, and anacharis. I would tell you to get some Potassium Permanganate (off of ebay), and then wait for it to arrive at your door. These plants are far too delicate to go through a bleach dip, so PP is my go-to for these guys. When you have it, go out and purchase your plants from whatever source that you like. We'll help you with sterilization, and then you'll see how your plants do with your fish.

I really find that plant eating is a highly individualized behavior, and there isn't any surefire way to know whether they will eat the plants, without trying. My recommendation is to buy several bunches of anacharis, and a few bunches of hornwort, just so it gives the plants enough time to settle in, and take off, before all of it becomes lunch. :rofl3 When I buy new bunched plants, you'll typically see me purchase no less than three bunches. Especially with something as inexpensive as anacharis and hornwort.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Also, what kind of lighting does hornwort need to thrive? I only have a standard light strip and am wondering if I should add another before I even bother trying to grow plants.

I used to grow java moss and banana plants, both of which grow like weeds and need very little light. I love the java moss but it tends to clog filter intakes and grow on EVERYTHING which drove me crazy after a while...

I have used potassium permanganate in the past, I believe it was Jungle Clear Water. Will this work?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-water-clarifiers/11442-509023/jungle-labs-jungle-labs-liquid-clear-water.html

Edited by James95

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Also, what kind of lighting does hornwort need to thrive? I only have a standard light strip and am wondering if I should add another before I even bother trying to grow plants.

I used to grow java moss and banana plants, both of which grow like weeds and need very little light. I love the java moss but it tends to clog filter intakes and grow on EVERYTHING which drove me crazy after a while...

I have used potassium permanganate in the past, I believe it was Jungle Clear Water. Will this work?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-water-clarifiers/11442-509023/jungle-labs-jungle-labs-liq

uid-clear-water.html

I'm unfamiliar with that product, I'm sorry to say. Here is what I use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potassium-Permanganate-KMn04-1-5-Oz-42g-fine-powder-mini-screwtop-bottle-/390767273397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afb8b65b5

That's actually the seller that I purchased mine from, and the shipping was pretty quick. This stuff is so cheap, and lasts forever. You don't need very much to do what you need to do.

Neither plant needs a ton of light to grow. Do you know the spectrum of your bulb, and the fixture that you have?

It's a standard perfecto fixture... I think the bulb is 40 watts. No idea on the spectrum. I might just add another standard light strip to boost growth even more!

Edited by James95

The jungle clear water does contain PP but I have no idea at what concentration and my guess is you're paying mostly for water with a little PP. You're much better off buying powdered PP like Tammy linked. A little bit of the stuff goes a long way, so it will likely be an almost lifetime (at least many years) supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hornwort in one of my tanks. The goldfish don't eat it, but they do uproot it. It's gotten to the point that I'm just letting it all float along the surface. If it survives it survives, if it doesn't it doesn't.

I put hornwort in my aquarium, and hated it. I kept trying to "plant" it, and it was always floating. It would have long bare stems and shed lots of leaves. So I got rid of it. Then, a couple of years ago I visited a nursery where there was a pond totally covered with floating hornwort. It provided great cover for the owner's fish. She gave me some and I tossed it in my pond. She told me it took a while to get established. About a year later, it started seriously growing, and this winter totally covered the pond.

I started to think about this plant as a water purifier. It will use both ammonia and nitrate, which certainly can make it useful in the aquarium. However, if one wants a plant to remove things other than ammonia/nitrate (all those "other things we don't measure"), one has to harvest the plant before it dies, decays, and releases whatever it removed back into the water. If one takes a hormwort plant out of the water, there are some long, stringy, partially bare stems with tips that are often lighter in color and have very thickly packed leaves. These tips are the areas of most rapid growth and thus the areas that are taking up the most nutrients.

I decided to pull all of the floating hornwort from the pond, cut off the growing ends and return those to the pond, and using the rest as garden mulch. The first time I did this, I discarded about half of the hornwort. A week later, I repeated this, again discarding about half the mass of the hornwort, and it has continued now for a couple of months without wiping out the hornwort. Clearly, I am removing a lot of water pollution.

By throwing away the old parts of the plant, you also eliminate the leaf shedding. Goldfish don't find hornwort tasty, but they will eat the leaves if they get hungry enough. This makes hornwort useful for a food plant for your fish when you are on vacation.

If you have hornwort floating in your pond/tank and your fish spawn, the eggs will stick to the leaves. You can transfer the hornwort to a tub of water and soon have a tub full of fry. It's nature's spawning mop.

This is great to know, shakaho! I had gotten a ton of hornwort a while ago, and initially I loved it, even though it never really seemed to grow much. But it didn't shed much either.

Then, a couple months later it started to die off though, not sure why. Huge mess, all filter intakes constantly covered in needles, filter media full of needles.

It's not like it won't get enough nutrients in a goldfish tank, and hornwort is supposed to not need a whole lot of light. Additionally it was floating at the surface anyway, getting most of the light.

Maybe trimming off the bare stems and keeping only the lusher half was what was needed and would have saved the plants, who knows. It died off in literally EVERY TANK I have, and I had a total of three gallons worth of hornwort. Now all that is left is one single sprig of a few inches length in my dwarf puffer tank. It too does not grow at all, but at least it is neither dying nor shedding. No bare stem part on it either though.

My tank is being taken over by hornwort! Overall it's an easy plant, but for some reason I couldn't get it to grow when I had a smaller second tank.

Hornwort requires pruning. I let mine float, and once a month, I break off the old end and get rid of it. It sheds when it gets old, and it grows continually on one end.

I was planning on using it as a floating plant... So I guess that works! And after it gets established I will have to try the "pinch off the old" pruning method. Thanks everyone!

Also, is it salt tolerant? I have been using aquarium salt in both my tanks and don't want to end up killing the hornwort!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Why are you using salt and how much salt are you using?

I always have. I usually eyeball it... the amount just depends on how much water I changed. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of 1 teaspoon per 2-3 gallons of water.

Salt is useful as a medication for goldfish. If you keep salt in the water all the time, when you need to do a treatment with salt you have to use higher concentrations than you would if the fish are routinely kept in unsalted water. Goldfish are fresh water fish so I don't think keeping them in salted water is ideal.

Salt is useful as a medication for goldfish. If you keep salt in the water all the time, when you need to do a treatment with salt you have to use higher concentrations than you would if the fish are routinely kept in unsalted water. Goldfish are fresh water fish so I don't think keeping them in salted water is ideal.

Okay! Thanks. I've been using it for years in all my tanks... I guess it's just one of those things that isn't quite as popular/or as necessary as it once was. I won't add any next time I do water changes ;)