Sign in to follow this  
MissFree

10 Gallon Quarantine Tank

Hello everyone!! I hope everyone is in good health and spirits :)

I'm trying to get some advice on my quarantine tank. I bought some lion heads and pearl scales. I noticed that some are yawning and doing a little darting when they "think" I'm not looking. I did a 100% water change yesterday and today I did another and added 10tsp of Epsom salt. I think that I'll have them in there for about a month or more.

The tank will stay at my job but I'm taking two home at the end of QT.

Am I on the right track?

I've seen it said many time that most times fish come with some sort of "issue" mostly flukes. It also seems like fish coming to the Virgin Islands end up with a bad deck of cards. Now I also bought a bottle of aqua prazi but now the heck do I go about treating in a ten gallon tank. ... I even saw a video with castille soap. I kinda wanted to take a bath myself but soap and fish I'm bat crap scared especially after spending that kind of money on fish.

I was gonna do my main tank at home after the others have went through QT but I'm not sure how to proceed other than Epsom salt. I'm really scared to bump up the salt to 30tsp even gradually but I see that some people do it for the first two weeks.

This is really important: EPSOM SALT is NOT the salt that you use for treatment in QT, and certainly upping it to 30tsp will most likely be lethal to your fish. You want AQUARIUM SALT, OR ANY SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE) (PICKLING, SEA, KOSHER) that does not contain additives.

How many fish do you have in the 10g right now? It might be too small.

You don't need castille soap to dissolve the prazi.

We can help with QT, but let's get the first two points addressed first. :)

I hope someone is along to help you shortly. Good luck with everything! If say just make sure that their gills look healthy. Do you have an air bubbler in the tank. Yawning is what fish do when they need to get oxygen over their gills. This can be due to low oxygenation in the water, which is why you need aeration.

Edited by Justin

This is really important: EPSOM SALT is NOT the salt that you use for treatment in QT, and certainly upping it to 30tsp will most likely be lethal to your fish. You want AQUARIUM SALT, OR ANY SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE) (PICKLING, SEA, KOSHER) that does not contain additives.

Holy Crap Batman. Will they be okay over night?!? I would have to run home to get the aquarium salt. Why the heck did I think it was Epsom?? I feel like a total clutz.

How much Epsom did you have in the tank?

Holy Crap Batman. Will they be okay over night?!? I would have to run home to get the aquarium salt. Why the heck did I think it was Epsom?? I feel like a total clutz.

There are three in 3.5s on there right now. I'm a little stuck for now since there's only so much I can do at work right now.

How much Epsom did you have in the tank?

Ten teaspoons

I can do a water change right now if I need to.

It might be safest to do so.

It might be safest to do so.

So when I do the water change now do I just condition the water and do the ten tsp of aquarium salt tomorrow?

Since it's late, yes. :)

So I did a total water change. There are a little remnants but I'm not going to deny I am more than worried. So tomorrow I'm doing 10 diluted teaspoons of aquarium salt with a total water change.

It's so easy to worry bout these guys : ) I would think they feel good with the water change you did tonight. Good luck to you.

I sure hope they do. I'm not going to see them until 4pm tomorrow :(

I just came in to check on them. One pearlscale died. The others are now showing signs of ich.

I'm so sorry. :( Hopefully now that you are using the correct salt the ich will go away. Have you added the salt yet?

I'm sorry for the loss of your pearlscale. :hug

I hope your other fish will be okay once you start the qt procedure.

I'm so sorry :(

Just to recap for the Mods, you currently have 10 tsp of salt in a 10 gallon tank, right?

All epsom is out?

Do you know the tank temp?

The Mods are most likely going to ask you to raise your salt levels, so have some salt on hand.

Good luck!!

I'm actually going to take a lunch break and transport my quarantine tank to my apartment. It's a bumpy ten minute drive but my coworkers are really getting under my skin when I'm doing water changes. I literally want to slap them with an empty tank sometimes.

Imagine I'm in the middle of a water change and they are getting on my nerves for what they think is harassing the fish. If one dies they make inconsiderate 'dead fish' jokes like they can take care of sick fish better than I can.

I don't know why you guys got into fish but I've loved goldfish from the time I was a child. Growing up I've always considered them to be rather calming. At this time I can't have kids so I found that I want to take up a small goldfish hobby an baking until I get a human bundle of joy. I mean isn't this the same as someone who has a frikkin dog?

Hello, MF, please give us an update when you are able, and then we will proceed.

I'm sorry one did not make it. :(

Hey Alex! I just got them transported home. The tank has in ten tea spoons of aquarium salt. Being that I live in the Caribbean I don't think I need to heat the water.

I also have the metro meds, the jump start and aqua prazi.

How big are they? Any chance of weighing them?

I know they are three and a half inches. I'm unsure of the weight. :( it's three of them.

Alright. I think I would like to start them on MMs, but let's wait until tomorrow, after we have a new video?

Alright. I think I would like to start them on MMs, but let's wait until tomorrow, after we have a new video?

Awesome. I'll take a video when I get home. I think I might end up getting a food safe tub. I may want to treat my black lionhead who is swimming on his side just a tad. I saw him do a dart at least twice.

You will treat, with prazi...I just want them situated first, see how they are, start the MMs, and the prazi. :)