It's Quality and Quantity

jmetzger72

Hi guys,

There is always a lot of talk about which foods make goldfish floaty. But, I think we also have to consider how much food makes a goldfish floaty. I feed my fish several different high quality pellets(not pre-soaked) and they tolerate them all very well "if" I don't overfeed them.

Miranda, my Oranda, has never been floaty until last night. I gave her too much food and she was upside down for half of the day today. So, before you condemn or discontinue a particular food, try feeding less of it. Just something to think about. Even experienced keepers screw up now and then :peeka

Hi guys,

There is always a lot of talk about which foods make goldfish floaty. But, I think we also have to consider how much food makes a goldfish floaty. I feed my fish several different high quality pellets(not pre-soaked) and they tolerate them all very well "if" I don't overfeed them.

Miranda, my Oranda, has never been floaty until last night. I gave her too much food and she was upside down for half of the day today. So, before you condemn or discontinue a particular food, try feeding less of it. Just something to think about. Even experienced keepers screw up now and then :peeka

This is absolutely true, which is why we always ask people how much they feed and then suggest cutting way back when needed. This is another reason why sometimes a three fast is recommended. :)

I think that people definitely forget about absolute amount being a critical factor, and then find out that even brine shrimp will make their fish floaty.

I'm glad Miranda is all better.

Btw, I think I told Lisa...I'm not using that food anymore. I don't find that it's really all that these days, since I have so many to choose from. AND, I no longer think that the probiotics supplied by any of these companies are actually suitable.

Pffft. I never screw up.

:rofl As if. :rofl

I've had a few fish in the past that have gotten floaty on ProGold. At first smaller feedings helped but one in particular eventually got floaty even on the smaller portions. I wonder if that is typical or if she was just extra sensitive. :idont

I'll be interested to see how Miranda does with it in the long run. Just don't cuz Queen Tatsu's portions back or she will :wa Miranda. :rofl3

Pffft. I never screw up.

:rofl As if. :rofl

I've had a few fish in the past that have gotten floaty on ProGold. At first smaller feedings helped but one in particular eventually got floaty even on the smaller portions. I wonder if that is typical or if she was just extra sensitive. :idont

I'll be interested to see how Miranda does with it in the long run. Just don't cuz Queen Tatsu's portions back or she will :wa Miranda. :rofl3

I've always been very conservative with the portions of PG. But I was careless yesterday. Miranda is usually perfect with any food. However...of course...Tatsu does not tolerate PG at all in any amount :rofl

Lisa,

I had the same problem before as well, where cutting back on the amount help, and then eventually any amount caused problems. It's like they developed an allergic response to something in the food. :/

Right now, all my fish are fine on PG, but I am not sure I care for any probiotic being added to the food. I don't think they are the right kind.

Well, Alex, hopefully your report will blacklist some of the foods I have. Then I can justify buying some new ones :nana

Send me a list of the foods you want me to blacklist. :o:rofl

Have you seen this new emoticon? :lisa:

Ask Lisa what the code for it is.

:rofl

Well, Alex, hopefully your report will blacklist some of the foods I have. Then I can justify buying some new ones :nana

Send me a list of the foods you want me to blacklist. :o:rofl

Have you seen this new emoticon? :lisa:

Ask Lisa what the code for it is.

:rofl

Yeah, and this little guy, too :alex