Sign in to follow this  
stech

Safe Pellets for Ranchu/lionheads and SWB

The reason I asked about substrate is because I am concerned with these tiny pellets getting lost down in my fine gravel and causing water problems. I was curious if dnalex had the same substrate. I am going to give the 1mm pellets a try though.

The reason I asked about substrate is because I am concerned with these tiny pellets getting lost down in my fine gravel and causing water problems. I was curious if dnalex had the same substrate. I am going to give the 1mm pellets a try though.

Yes. That is another reason we try to recommend sand or bare bottom as the best substrates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would also recommend the 1mm pellets and the sand. All of my goldfish (many of which are quite large) eat 1mm pellets. And, all of my tanks have sand. I have zero problems with either.

I've tried sand in my smaller tanks and hated it. And my personal preference is that bare bottom tanks aren't esthetically pleasing. I've had this tiny gravel for over 20 years, only adding to it when I upgraded from 55 gallons to 125 about 5 years ago.

I fed the 1mm pellets(soaked) today. They seemed to sink a little slower than the 3mm pellets. Most of the food was gobbled up mid tank.

Thank you for the advice.

Why did you hate the sand?

Why did I not like the sand? For starters, I had it in acrylic tanks, and no matter how careful, it would scratch the sides during cleaning. Also, I did not like how it doesn't settle as quickly as rocks and seems to leave a "dust" on decorations and plants. I also did not like finding sand in my filter. The filter impeller in one of my small tanks kept blocking up with the sand any time there was a disruption. I had to be careful not to suck up sand when I did water changes. I also did not like seeing every poo piece sitting on top of the sand. Althought it made it easier to detect for cleaning, I felt like I was poop-scooping a litter pan trying to keep the tank looking nice.

The rocks I use are very fine, not like the average aquarium rock sold in bags at the pet stores. It is a natural tumbled rock measuring between 3-4mm in size. I find it an acceptable size for the fish to sift without getting pebbles stuck in their mouths and yet does not leave a dust storm behind them. I've had nightmrare results with larger stones. Ever tried to remove a rock lodged in an oranda's mouth? Not a good time.

If you use sand or have a bare bottom, and it works for you, that's great. Each to their own. I think I'll stick to my rocks for now.

:grouphug

Let me try to answer the question that I think might be coming. Sand is perfect for small sized pellets. Sand is dense, which means it compacts and holds the food on top of the surface of the sand. Then the fish can go around eating the food off the ground. Also, sand is very cheap if you choose a pool filter sand from a home improvement warehouse. Sand is the cheapest substrate, I believe, unless you consider bare bottom a substrate!

Alex, do ryukins generally grow more massive than other types of fancies? I would think that they would because they grow in both directions on the vertical. Also, 400 grams?! :yikes

Justin, my ryukin is not the biggest by any stretch.

Johny, Rob(schoolie)'s ryu may actually have been the biggest reported on the forum. I think she was 450+ grams.

Federica (Captain Findus Goldfish) had several ryukins that were of that size as well.

Helen's ryus are in the same ball park.

Do you think yours will get that big?!

Do you think yours will get that big?!

Well, considering that he's not even 2 years old, probably :rofl

I am trying to slow down his growth considerably though :)

Maybe YOU can have the biggest goldfish! Not to say that huge growth is something we should be striving for, just that it's nice when it happens. :)

I have a 3mm Life Spectrum Goldfish. Will try breaking up the pellets into smaller size with my fingers. Pellets seems very hard compare to texture of Saki-Hikari Purple and Hikari Lionhead pellets.

I came across some threads that Saki-Hikari Purple causing floatness but they their pellet size is tiny?

I came across some threads that Saki-Hikari Purple causing floatness but they their pellet size is tiny?

Some members have found this. There are some filler ingredients that are suspect. However, not all members have experienced this and many love Saki Hikari. It is a trial an error thing with foods.

Edited by jmetzger72