Sign in to follow this  
stech

Safe Pellets for Ranchu/lionheads and SWB

What's recommended pellets for Ranchus since they are known to get SWB? Which brand do you recommended. ok to feed three times a day? Thinking of this feeding schedules.

3 to 4 pellets per fish (2.5 to 3 inch in size) at 7:30 AM, 6 PM and 11 PM.

I'd suggest trying 1mm New Life Spectrum Goldfish or 1mm New Life Spectrum Thera A. :)

Hikari Lionhead might be worth a try but has more fillers than either of the above. It's all on a case-by-case basis as we can't predict how your fish will react to any of them. NLS doesn't seem to have much of a history of causing floatiness so far.

The NLS Thera A has done well with my fish that has SB issues. The smaller, more frequent meals helps. I also found that adding more variety in the diet seems to help. Mine only gets one meal of pellets a day, her other meals are veggies, frozen food like brine shrimp or blood worms, or duckweed. It was the overall diet change that helped my big girl the most.

Edit; I process a huge amount of veggies in one fell swoop and freeze it in portions. Just thaw them out in a small cup of tank water before you feed it. It makes feeding veggies much easier for me.

Edited by Avepico

Peas are your new best friend. They really help clear a goldfish out at the end of the day and help prevent constipation IMO

I'd suggest any leafy green to help goldfish digestion.

Kale, spinach, red lettuce, green lettuce, etc..

Peas are your new best friend. They really help clear a goldfish out at the end of the day and help prevent constipation IMO

Peas, if fed too often, can give a goldfish gas. Instead, try leafy greens like Cat suggested.

I've had similar success with Avepico's schedule of Pellets / Veggies/ Frozen.

I think peas are great when needed to alleviate Constipation. However, I don't think they need to be a daily meal if the rest of the diet is properly balanced.

IMO, peas should be an integral part of any goldfish's overall diet. I personally only feed them peas twice a week max. I think variety is the key. Leafy greens, squash (mine go nuts for butternut squash), zuchini, carrots, frozen proteins, etc. If you see a good deal on fresh food, look it up and see if there is a reason NOT to use it. If there is no good reason, then try it out and see if your fish like it.

Feeding fresh foods is something I wish I could do more often. If not for you, then take advantage of it for your goldies.

Weekly flyers for grocery stores can be found online and there are sometimes some awesome deals. If google can't provide you any info on if it's good to feed to fish, ask here! :)

Edited by Chai

Here is an old thread that talks about what your goldfish can eat.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/82-good-foods-for-goldfish/

I've been feeding mine Super Green gel food in favor of peas. It contains peas, but has more overall nutrition.

I also really like raw red leaf lettuce.

Edited by jmetzger72

i have been having problems with the nls goldfish pellets.atari gets floaty for a few hrs after every meal with nls.gonna try hikari purple.or maybe just a smaller size nls.duckweed usually clears him out pretty fast.

i have been having problems with the nls goldfish pellets.atari gets floaty for a few hrs after every meal with nls.gonna try hikari purple.or maybe just a smaller size nls.duckweed usually clears him out pretty fast.

What size are your NLS pellets? I would recommend the 1mm for all sizes of goldfish.

I would like to point out that in addition to what has been presented up above, the size of the pellets certain matter, and you should really stick to 2mm or under. I actually prefer 1.5mm or less. :)

One of the things I will be presenting in the next few days is that contrary to what we would like to think, veggies may actually be quite harmful to goldfish, especially when the amount given is disproportionate.

I would like to point out that in addition to what has been presented up above, the size of the pellets certain matter, and you should really stick to 2mm or under. I actually prefer 1.5mm or less. :)

One of the things I will be presenting in the next few days is that contrary to what we would like to think, veggies may actually be quite harmful to goldfish, especially when the amount given is disproportionate.

Hurry up, Alex :wa I can't wait to read :feedme

my nls pellets are only 1mm.

Perfect. :)

There is no reason why a large fish can't eat 1mm pellets, and actually, the smaller size may help to prevent overfeeding. :)

Hurry up, Alex :wa I can't wait to read :feedme

:hide:

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been feeding the NLS goldfish pellets in the 3mm size. My ranchu and one of my orandas has been "floaty". I got the larger size because I thought the smaller size would just get lost in my gravel. Even at the 3mm size, I thought it was small for my big fish (baseball to softball size fish). I soak the food before feeding it. They also get a varied diet of proteins, algae and peas with the occasional broccoli. Could somebody please explain to me why the smaller size is better, even if being fed to very large fish? I feel like feeding them the 1mm pellets would be like feeding them dust.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been feeding the NLS goldfish pellets in the 3mm size. My ranchu and one of my orandas has been "floaty". I got the larger size because I thought the smaller size would just get lost in my gravel. Even at the 3mm size, I thought it was small for my big fish (baseball to softball size fish). I soak the food before feeding it. They also get a varied diet of proteins, algae and peas with the occasional broccoli. Could somebody please explain to me why the smaller size is better, even if being fed to very large fish? I feel like feeding them the 1mm pellets would be like feeding them dust.

The smaller size allows it to go through the fish better, from my understanding. It is the same reason we chew our food. Goldfish pharyngeal teeth are good for grinding most foods, but it is easier for them to grind down small pellets as opposed to larger ones. I have some large fish, and have noticed that feeding the 1mm pellets heavily lessened the floatiness in one of my fish, as opposed to feeding progold-sized pellets. I was hesitant because of the small size, but really found that I liked it.

I also wouldn't recommend broccoli for floaters. It makes just about everything on the planet gassy, including fish. :teehee

This fish

Ryu203_zpsd2ab0e32.jpg

weighs nearly 400grams (should be there shortly), eats 1mm and 1.5mm pellets. :)

He also eats really tiny brine shrimp.

This fish

Ryu203_zpsd2ab0e32.jpg

weighs nearly 400grams (should be there shortly), eats 1mm and 1.5mm pellets. :)

He also eats really tiny brine shrimp.

I bought some of the 1mm today. Dnalex, what substrate do you have in the tank with your beautiful ryukin?

Hello,

I have sand. :)

Let me try to answer the question that I think might be coming. Sand is perfect for small sized pellets. Sand is dense, which means it compacts and holds the food on top of the surface of the sand. Then the fish can go around eating the food off the ground. Also, sand is very cheap if you choose a pool filter sand from a home improvement warehouse. Sand is the cheapest substrate, I believe, unless you consider bare bottom a substrate!

Alex, do ryukins generally grow more massive than other types of fancies? I would think that they would because they grow in both directions on the vertical. Also, 400 grams?! :yikes

Ryukins seem to get pretty huge. I've heard their maximum length is something like ten inches (!) and their bodies are often just as deep as they are long.