Emergency! Dropsy/Pineconing

WeeBeyPrice

This afternoon, I noticed that one of my fish was not eating when I fed the other fish. He's been quite lethargic the last couple of days but he swims pretty normally and eats normally.

SO here are pics of him this afternoon.

j4T8y.jpg

vbwyo.jpg

I thought I caught him early since today was the first day I noticed the pineconing. I put him in QT right away but made the mistake of using regular salt. So I ran out and got him some Metronidazole and did a WC. I put in 1/4 of Epsom salt this time and 1 measure of the medicine, and also used slightly warmer water, now he is tilting to the side, barely breathing. If i correct him, he will swim for a little bit and go back to sideways position. His pineconing has gotten a little worse too.

65dQ1.jpg

I know this looks pretty bad.

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) ~ 2 (pre WC)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) orange
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) ~0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) basic
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • basic
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 68 (warmer in the QT tank now)
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75g for a month,he is in 10 g QT
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear and AquaTech
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Everyday, ~75%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, ~80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 in the main tank, just him in QT
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? HL NLS, Hikari FBW
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? added Metronidazole to QT
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - Quick 0.1% salt in QT, then did 100% WC and now using Episom 1.4 tea soon
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Pineconing
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not eating, sitting at the top, now bottom sitting tipped to the side

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. Please put the numbers of the tests in the chart. Not just orange or basic etc. What is the exact dosage of Metro did you put in?

At this point you are doing about all you can for him. Remind me again what the dosage instructions are for the powdered metro.

He looks as though he is starting to curve into a c shape. Would you say that is true or is it just the angle of the picture? :idont

With 7 fish in a cycling tank, you really need to stay on top of the WCs. Ammonia of 2 is waaaay too high.

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. Please put the numbers of the tests in the chart. Not just orange or basic etc. What is the exact dosage of Metro did you put in?

For pH its around 7.6-8.0, with Nitrate is defintiely not 0, but definitely not at the next level yet.

Metro medicine came with a little spoon, it said to do 1 - 2 spoon per 10 gallon. My QT tank isn't filled up all the way, so I just used 1 spoon

At this point you are doing about all you can for him. Remind me again what the dosage instructions are for the powdered metro.

He looks as though he is starting to curve into a c shape. Would you say that is true or is it just the angle of the picture? :idont

With 7 fish in a cycling tank, you really need to stay on top of the WCs. Ammonia of 2 is waaaay too high.

Yea, been doing 2 WCs per day. Had to leave the house today so only did 1, and this is what happened =(

Right now he is just laying on his side. I don't think theres a C shape

Like Lisa said, 2ppm is way too high. Try doing 2 daily 90% water changes. Your fish will definitely thank you. Did the oranda have the black on the wen when you purchased him?

Is each spoon 100 mg?

Yes, according to the bottle it is. The bottle says 1-2 spoons (~125mg) so I just did one. At this point, he is not moving at all and I am worried the worst might have already happened...

Like Lisa said, 2ppm is way too high. Try doing 2 daily 90% water changes. Your fish will definitely thank you. Did the oranda have the black on the wen when you purchased him?

Yes, he had a little black marks in his wen when I got him.

Thanks for everyone's kind words. I am just a little taken back at how fast this happened as I was reading through the Dropsy thread on the treatment this afternoon.

Maybe he was already sick to begin with as someone pointed out he had black ammonia burns in his wen. Regardless, I will be more careful from now on and do 2x WCs everyday to make sure this type of things doesn't happen again.

The important thing is I move forward and take better care of the other fish (still 6). It just pains me a little as I have a 120g cycling right now that I was going to move these guys into. Sad this guy will never get to see it.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's advice and input, will bother you guys plenty more in the future.

Haven't named any of my fish, but going to name her Betty like my friend suggested. R.I.P. Betty :rip:

• Supporter

by the time the pineconing is noticeable, the infection has already settled in quite well. usually we can sound the alarm at any unusual swelling, most often the next step is that the fish will pinecone. it is very difficult to notice signs of fish being unwell when you have little experience with fish illnesses, so you're not alone in getting to us at the stages that you did.

i often recommend that members spare some time to observe their fish from above. change of body shape from top view is a good indicator that the fish is falling ill. taking photos from top view when they are well to refer back to is another good tip for everyone.

i am sorry that your fish did not make it :(

hugs to you :heart

I'm so sorry :(:hug Hopefully you learn from this experience so you can diagnose it earlier next time. I think this teaches everybody that we need to keep up on our water changes! You are a great fish dad! Like Lisa said, if you have the 120g right now, transfer the filters and move the fish. This will give you the same amount of nitrifying bacteria but will allow more ammonia to be excreted before the water becomes toxic due to the large water volume. R.I.P. Betty. :rip: