Sign in to follow this  
Abyss

Lysol wipes and their effectiveness

Hey all I wanted your input on Lysol wipes. I've been thinking about how effective they are.

I attach my python to the kitchen sink (with no dishes in it if course!)

When I'm done doing my cleaning and WC I disconnect the python, remove the metal threaded attachment that came with my python. I've been buying Lysol wipes that say they kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria and kills the influenza a virus. I'm assuming they are strong enough to clean my sink. I remove the attachment wipe the faucet where it was attached with a wipe and around the sink. Then I wipe the sink with a new wipe 2x then rinse the sink out thoroughly.

Do you think that is good enough to remove any germs coming from my aquarium or should I bleach my sink each time??

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by Abyss

I'm no expert but I would assume that's good enough. My betta tank is in the kitchen and I drain the water from that directly into the kitchen sink when I do water changes. I usually scrub the sink with Comet afterwards and my husband and I aren't dead yet so...good enough I guess, lol. I use that as an excuse to do a weekly sink cleaning which I should do anyway. :)

I may be in the minority here, but I think that antibacterial anything is really a waste at best, and harmful at worst.

A good clean with soap is good enough for me. :)

... I don't do anything aside from turning the hot water on in the sink and then cleaning the counters with vinegar. I'm pretty sure wipes will take care of the issues that might occur, just make sure not to get any of that cleaner on your python.

I don't do anything!! I litraly rince the sink and wipe worktops with kitchen towels! =-O =-O

You people clean your sinks??? O-O

:rofl

errrm... i don't do anything other than detach the python components and put them away :o

I may be in the minority here, but I think that antibacterial anything is really a waste at best, and harmful at worst.

A good clean with soap is good enough for me. :)

I agree, soap is good enough if you ask me.

As you can see... a lot of us aren't very worried about the germs involved in goldfish water going down our sinks. :teehee

Haha well I try to clean my sinks every week or so anyway because I can't stand when things are grimy. I'm kind of a clean freak. :P I do it on water change day to simultaneously sanitize after cleaning the tanks I guess...two birds, one stone. I'll be honest, I'm not especially worried about fish germs either. I just like when things look all clean and sparkly, lol.

Edited by Goldenhero

Antibacterial soaps, wipes, etc. make the hair of microbiologists and public health people stand on end. Fortunately, they are not very effective so they don't do as much damage as they could.

A study compared the illness frequency in families that used antibacterial vs. plain soaps. Among those families that had no members who were very old, very young, or who had chronic illness the disease frequency was the same. But among the families with babies, old people, or those with chronic disease, those who used the antibacterial agents had more illnesses than those who used soap and water.

This link gives a simple explanation comparing hand washing and using antibacterial wipes. Healthy human skin has a population of bacteria. These bugs rarely cause infections and actively compete with harmful bacteria for their territory. If you do a normal hand wash with soap, you wash off the microbes you have recently picked up. The residential population of bacteria (which sticks tightly to the skin) is barely touched, but the cold virus you picked up from the doorknob goes down the drain. In contrast if you wipe hands with an antibacterial wipe, to the extent that it actually works, it will kill all bacteria equally. If it kills a pathogen, it also kills the normal, protective bacteria as well, so that any pathogens that are picked up later can grow happily.

But it's not exactly true that antibacterials damage all microbes equally. They will be more harmful to:

slow growing, as opposed to rapidly growing microbes.

free living or "residential" bacteria, as opposed to pathogens. In order to infect, pathogens have to be able to protect themselves, and this

protection typically includes extra coatings outside their cell walls which resist antibacterial agents.

those bugs that are still susceptible, as opposed to those that are already resistant to the antimicrobial agent.

In other words, by using antimicrobials you select for fast-growing pathogens that are resistant to antimicrobial agents.

As to what you should do to clean the sink, wash it with hot soapy (or detergenty) water and a clean dishcloth (not a bacteria-loaded sponge). Then rinse it with hot water. If it doesn't look perfectly clean, repeat. A smooth hard surface washed thoroughly with hot soapy water is left nearly sterile. In contrast, if there is any grease or sticky material in the sink when you rub it with that wipe, it will simply be smeared around and will protect any bacteria underneath it.

You know the kitchen sink has displaced the toilet as the germiest spot in the house. Two things have led to this -- the dishwasher and the garbage disposal. Until I was 40 years old, I washed dishes the way I learned how to do when I was about 7 years old. You cleaned up the potato peels or whatever else was produced in meal preparation, washed the sink before doing dishes, then washed it again after the dishes were washed. I'm sure glad i don't do that any more LOL.

Haha well I try to clean my sinks every week or so anyway because I can't stand when things are grimy. I'm kind of a clean freak. :P I do it on water change day to simultaneously sanitize after cleaning the tanks I guess...two birds, one stone. I'll be honest, I'm not especially worried about fish germs either. I just like when things look all clean and sparkly, lol.

I need to take a page from your book xD I'm a slob. I'm working on it! Haha.

Psh, if the fish had anything to get me sick with I guess I got it caz I don't wash the sink! .... Maybe that's why the fish food is staring to smell good?

I got the goldfish fever! :ill:Beware::help:

:rofl2

Well ok that makes me feel better, I just like the lemony smell of the wipes it makes it smell clean, plus my sinks are stinky sometimes. I don't use the wipes for anything else but the sink and to clean my toilets, garbage and bathroom with. I don't use antibacterial soap I use goats milk soap.

Speaking of germs sadly last night I was at the hospital all night with my son he has the crazy stomach flu and now this morning has passed it in to my daughter. I'm so sick of seeing and smelling barf.... Yuck, I assume I'm next in line...

Edited by Abyss

Well ok that makes me feel better, I just like the lemony smell of the wipes it makes it smell clean, plus my sinks are stinky sometimes. I don't use the wipes for anything else but the sink and to clean my toilets, garbage and bathroom with. I don't use antibacterial soap I use goats milk soap.

Speaking of germs sadly last night I was at the hospital all night with my son he has the crazy stomach flu and now this morning has passed it in to my daughter. I'm so sick of seeing and smelling barf.... Yuck, I assume I'm next in line...

Ewewew! Some people eat while browsing the forum, you know!

I'm sure you'll fine! ;) I get lazy with it sometimes and I was sick all weekend with a bad cold so I haven't had the energy to be neat freaky lately lol...it's all I can do to get the pets done and cook dinner. We sanitize the sinks every day at my work so cleaning mine at home is just a habit I picked up from there.

Oh no, poor kids and poor you! I hope that you don't get sick but sadly when you live with someone it's hard not to catch what they have. :(

I just rinse my sink with some water.

My poor 1 yr old daughter is really ill now, I hate seeing sick babies.... Hope it passes soon..

I'm sure you'll fine! ;) I get lazy with it sometimes and I was sick all weekend with a bad cold so I haven't had the energy to be neat freaky lately lol...it's all I can do to get the pets done and cook dinner. We sanitize the sinks every day at my work so cleaning mine at home is just a habit I picked up from there.

Ha, in my years at the restaurant, I'd always get home and say "Dishes? DISHES?!? I've been doing DISHES all day long!" :D :D

My poor 1 yr old daughter is really ill now, I hate seeing sick babies.... Hope it passes soon..

I hope she feels better soon!

hope you all feel better.i also can not stand it when the really young get sick.they just do not understand what is going on.just heartbreaking.

as far as antibacterials go... i would rather my kids eat dirt ,than use antibacterials. our obsession with cleanliness is breeding tomorrows superbugs.

as far as antibacterials go... i would rather my kids eat dirt ,than use antibacterials. our obsession with cleanliness is breeding tomorrows superbugs.

^this. i feel the same way. don't prevent the commons which builds us as strong beings. it weakens the immune system and then our bodies have no way of naturally fighting anything.

i ate 'dirt' and sampled 'earth worms' and other things when i was a kid. just kids being kids we were. i am rarely sick (knock on wood!)