Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Picked up a rescue, gonna need backup on this one:(

A "dump" at the pet store? Haha! It's quite sad that people would rather flush a fish rather than pay you $20 or something to take it off their hands and care for it. It seems like common sense to pay someone for doing such a good deed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, meet Macklemore (12 year old daughter came up with that). He's in a glasslock hence the wobbly face. Lole7upynar.jpg

Dorsal fin:

uqe2uzy2.jpg

Tail fin:

Along with the fin rot there are a couple more solid white dots that look like the fin has hardened or calcified. On his left side.

by4uqysa.jpg7e9ymezy.jpg

Gill:

I hope those little red spots are me being paranoid.

ehu8uqam.jpg

Random body shots in case you see something I don't (thanks guys!). Notice the tail fin with a slight bend to the right. It's to the right about a little over half the time.

tyhy2yga.jpgqasu4uje.jpg4u4ury5e.jpgu8azezuj.jpgapy8y4en.jpg

Let me know if you need any other shots. I can get some of him being held if anyone wants to see a particular area.

Sorry if I made these huge :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macklemore's face is too adorable! Healing vibes to you, Macklemore!

Is that red spot on his dorsal kinda fuzzy? I had a goldie who had it once and tried everything on the poor dear. Herbal stuff, meds, anything I could and it ended up eating through her jaw without me knowing how far it went, it's so fleshy, it was only when I got her body out of the water I saw how bad it was. Two stores near my house always have fish with the stuff, just the supplier. Hopes and wishes this little cutie doesn't have that! For some reason I pictured him as a fantail not oranda :idont

A "dump" at the pet store? Haha! It's quite sad that people would rather flush a fish rather than pay you $20 or something to take it off their hands and care for it. It seems like common sense to pay someone for doing such a good deed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The serious aquarists usually make a donation of some kind, be it cash or equipment. I've had people ask how much it cost to treat and house the fish, then they cover that cost. I'd estimate that 80% is out of pocket though. One couple gave me a gift card for Big Al's...that was awesome:)

I've also had people ask me how much I will pay them to take their fish lol. I did buy one once for $10 because the guy said the goldfish was big and worth money...apparently not worth proper care though. Go figure. It takes all kinds. The tricky part is the game-face. I don't make anyone feel bad about their fish. I try to make them feel like they are doing a noble thing. Hopefuly they learn a lesson...or better yet, pay it forward:)

Is that red spot on his dorsal kinda fuzzy? I had a goldie who had it once and tried everything on the poor dear. Herbal stuff, meds, anything I could and it ended up eating through her jaw without me knowing how far it went, it's so fleshy, it was only when I got her body out of the water I saw how bad it was. Two stores near my house always have fish with the stuff, just the supplier. Hopes and wishes this little cutie doesn't have that! For some reason I pictured him as a fantail not oranda :idont

It's strange. The front part of the dorsal is also that hard/calcified stuff. It doesn't look fuzzy in person. Sort of stumpy. I wish better adjectives would come to me lol.

He's in 1tbsp/5 gallons of salt. I didn't want to do anything more before consulting with our resident experts. He's had a rough day.

Oh! I'm going to do a closer "out of water" inspection, thanks!

Macklemore's face is too adorable! Healing vibes to you, Macklemore!

He looks like a different fish from each side...lol. I love it!

If it doesn't look fuzzy and like a fungus, than it's not what I'm thinking of, I still have no clue what it was I just call it the "Devil Disease" because it doesn't look like it has a cure.

Even beat up like that he's absolutely beautiful! Best of luck with his recovery.

If it doesn't look fuzzy and like a fungus, than it's not what I'm thinking of, I still have no clue what it was I just call it the "Devil Disease" because it doesn't look like it has a cure.

That's crazy. I am so sorry your fish suffered through that:( Must have been hell on you. I know there is a condition that leads to jaw injury, I just ca't remember off the top of my head. I think it's a parasite of dome kind. I'll find it if I can and post the name. Geez, I'd be hitting up the fish store for some answers....

Hey mods, I'd love to hear from you concerning appropriate course of treatment:) Right now he is still in 1tbsp/5 gallons of water only. I'd love to get him started. We got him into the qt tank last night and then noticed some flashing and rubbing on the side of the tank as well. I'm thinking the salt needs to go up, Prazi needs to be done and something for the fin rot/calcified areas (Maracyn/Maracyn2?, Melafix?).

Even beat up like that he's absolutely beautiful! Best of luck with his recovery.

He even swam into my hand and let me pick him right up to transfer him:) He has stolen my heart already :heart

That's crazy. I am so sorry your fish suffered through that:( Must have been hell on you. I know there is a condition that leads to jaw injury, I just ca't remember off the top of my head. I think it's a parasite of dome kind. I'll find it if I can and post the name. Geez, I'd be hitting up the fish store for some answers....

Ya it's weird so I no longer get fish from those stores. Out of 3 of the same chain, 1 has really nice fish for the most part, 1 has severe ich and the ich one and the last one always have the thing. It started on her back near her dorsal fin, and then disappeared and later came back on her jaw. I don't know what made it go away at first but it came back and wouldn't leave. On the bright side, since it had been gone for a while, we put her in with the others but when it came back, we just treated the tank and it never got the others, I think it's part of a water quality thing. It sorta eats out a hole in the skin.

Hi Sarah,

Why don't you start with a 0.3% salt in the tank, and then upload a video? I'd like to see how Macklemore swims. :)

Hi Sarah,

Why don't you start with a 0.3% salt in the tank, and then upload a video? I'd like to see how Macklemore swims. :)

On it. Thanks so much! I'll get a video up asap.

Ya it's weird so I no longer get fish from those stores. Out of 3 of the same chain, 1 has really nice fish for the most part, 1 has severe ich and the ich one and the last one always have the thing. It started on her back near her dorsal fin, and then disappeared and later came back on her jaw. I don't know what made it go away at first but it came back and wouldn't leave. On the bright side, since it had been gone for a while, we put her in with the others but when it came back, we just treated the tank and it never got the others, I think it's part of a water quality thing. It sorta eats out a hole in the skin.

That sounds brutal. My lfs used to be awesome and now there is Ich and cloudy tanks everywhere. I think they're going under so they aren't upgrading. The system they have is ancient. Central filtration separate for each wall...with no shut off valves. So if one tank gets something, the whole wall gets it. Starting to lose faith.

Goodluck Sarah :) keep up the good work and you're setting an freakin awesome example to your kids on compassion

I <3 U

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Goodluck Sarah :) keep up the good work and you're setting an freakin awesome example to your kids on compassion

I <3 U

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I come from the school of thought that you do what you can in any situation. I remember my mother in law (who I adored, she passed 5 years ago) telling us at our wedding that the only advice she had was for us to take care of eachother. She said if we could do that, through thick and thin, we'd have a great life together. That stuck with me and over the 7 years since I got married, it rings true:) So I apply it to anything I can. When you take care of someone else, the end result is that in some way, you are taken care of too. You gotta pay it forward.

I am still trying to upload the darn video. Photobucket won't accept the upload and youtube eeps freezing on me. Still trying...

Okay, I think I got youtube to work. It's telling me to "sit tight" while it's processed, but it seems to be up now. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll fix the link:)

Oh, Macklemore has a transparent wen...you can see his head under there. I have never seen that. Pretty cool:) Also, the photo shows how he sits to his right. I'm wondering if his tail fin and sitting position are him making up for his lost tail. He seems to use one pectoral fin more han the other to steer as well.

3004E15A-31F9-486B-86BE-5E8F21CD2CFD_zps

I've heard of the one pectoral thing. My fish will sometimes use one only, other times use both. I knew someone whose goldie would use just one, almost never both but he was a fat and happy goldie. I think sometimes they might just rest one, like how birds will stand on one leg.

I've heard of the one pectoral thing. My fish will sometimes use one only, other times use both. I knew someone whose goldie would use just one, almost never both but he was a fat and happy goldie. I think sometimes they might just rest one, like how birds will stand on one leg.

I hope so. His lack of tail fin seems to be messing with him a bit. On a good noe, he's not zooming around the tank anymore. Just a little spurt now and then.

At least fins grow back. It could be worse! I love his little wen, it's so cute!

Edited by BeginAgain

Macklemore is a heartthrob. I can see why you are smitten :) Thankfully, he's in the best of hands and I'm sure will be on the mend and back to healthy in no time!

At least fins grow back. It could be worse! I love his little wen, it's so cute!

Some of the finnage is right down to his body, so I'm hoping they will come back, but not holding my breath. Poor guy...