Color Changing Food

WeeBeyPrice

So my question is, does it work?

I have two orange oranda's I would like to be a bit more redder. And I am also losing the yellow on the lemon head's head. I just bought a bag of Saki Hikari Purple after reading that it brings out the red in fish. Is it true?

Also, I have a brown oranda that I hope hope hope does not turn into an orange one, should I avoid feeding him this food? Also, will this food affect the white color on my Ryukin? I hope to hear feedfack from those of you who have experience with this, thanks.

I'm sure color-enhancing food will make your orandas redder to some extent, but it will make your white fish even yellower. All color-enhancing food, including Repashy, will give white fish a yellow tint.

I don't think food has an effect on brown\greenish goldfish. They just change color naturally. Some people have had wild-colored\black fish hold their color for a long time. I feed a lot of color-enhancing food and my wild-type hibuna has kept her greenish color for 2 years. *knock on wood*

"Adding pigment substances (especially astaxanthin) to the feeds minimizes colour loosing during the processing and provides colour stability for six months (No and Storebakken, 1991; Skrede et al;, 1990)"

Hikari purple is "rich in highly purified Astaxanthin (a carotenoid)" so yes, it will work.

I have no experience on what it will do to your brown oranda's coloration however.

I'm sure color-enhancing food will make your orandas redder to some extent, but it will make your white fish even yellower. All color-enhancing food, including Repashy, will give white fish a yellow tint.

I do have direct experience with this, as the whites of my pond fish are yellowing. I would correlate this to the fact that they are fed a lot of Repashy solient green.

I don't really mind - I couldn't imagine trying to feed them different food from the others.

Let me know if you'd like a photo of the yellowing effect, WeeBey.

Pond fish almost always have the yellow "points" -- nose and near the fins. This is from eating algae, which are the sources of color enhancers in food. It may brighten the red a bit, particularly if combined with more light and a dark background/bottom to the tank.

However, the loss of color (losing the lemon) is a color change, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I have found that color enhancing foods can work as long as you use them consistently. As soon as you stop using them you will see the pigment that they produce disappear. I have been feeding new life spectrum and repashy (most of their diet is NLS with some repashy here and there lately) and have seen noticeable intensifying of yellows in the fins and head, but not in the body excepts a couple spots on the belly. I personally have not noticed a change in red.

• 2 weeks later...