AquaDine Food

BeginAgain

I was looking around online and does anyone know ingredients for the Microbe-Lift Legacy pellets. Guaranteed analysis wise it looks okay, and it comes in a lot of different formulas but I can't find the ingredients anywhere. Garg.

Edit: Found it and it stinks. I think I'll just bake some Repashy pellets

Edited by BeginAgain

I was looking around online and does anyone know ingredients for the Microbe-Lift Legacy pellets. Guaranteed analysis wise it looks okay, and it comes in a lot of different formulas but I can't find the ingredients anywhere. Garg.

Edit: Found it and it stinks. I think I'll just bake some Repashy pellets

You don't bake repashy. You make it like any other gelatin: A little bit of hot water and a good stir. If you bake it I am worried you will kill the nutrients in it.

Here are the directions to making Repashy pellets.

1. Make your desired amount of Repashy by following the directions on the container.
  2. Once Repashy is completely set and cooled, cut it into pellet-sized pieces.
  3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread out one even layer of repashy bits. *Make sure they don't touch each other*
  4. Repeat step 3 until all repashy is on the cookie sheet. This may result in several layers of parchment.
  5. Cover the final layer with saran wrap and then place the cookie sheet in the freezer.
  6. Freeze for 1-2 hours, or until every piece is frozen.
  7. Remove from freezer and transfer the repashy pellets to a freezer-safe container.
  8. Place back in the freezer.

These pellets will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. The first freezing process is to keep the repashy from sticking to itself when you put it in your permanent container. I have also made repashy into cubes in my ice cube tray for my larger fish, but the pellets are a lot more convenient even if they take a little more work.

Edited by ChelseaM

How are you supposed ti get fish to take pellets. I was trying to give them some sinking pellets to see how they like them (don't want to buy something they won't eat) and they can't find them. Stubby and Wasabi can sometimes catch a few but Bono misses them entirely and can only sorta see flakes as is but I know pellets tend to be a lot better as long as they are good quality. How do you teach the fish to find flakes

As with anything, they will have to adapt, after having done differently for so long. I would drop some in the tank, and let them discover. Stop feeding flakes while you do this.

Make sure to vacuum out uneaten foods after about 30-60 minutes.

I've tried a couple of times and they just chase them and then they lose site and just look around in the gravel and can't find them, so I end up sucking up a ton of leftovers. And Bono just looks around because his eyes point upwards and he can't see them since they sink too fast or he sees them and by the time he gets there, they have fallen down and he can't find them and starts gulping randomly at the surface for food.

I put a small flat white dish on the tank bottom to help train my fish to eat sinking pellets. When it came to feeding time, I always dropped the pellets onto the plate. They got use to eating their food in that general vicinity on the bottom. Eventually I took out the plate and, to this day, they continue to look for food in that area when I come by to feed them.

That's one of the reasons I don't do gravel in my tanks. Some fish just can't get into it to find the food, which then gets stuck and rots. I couldn't ever seem to get all the food up with a gravel vac, and the gunk buildup was horrible.

Lisa has a great suggestion there to put some sort of dish down so that they can get the food. :)

Also, don't feed the fish anything else until they get used to eating the pellets. This is the same with all new foods that your fish don't understand at first, like veggies and gel. Soon they'll be hungry enough to take what's offered.