AquaDine Food

BeginAgain

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the AquaDine fish food. They have a great thing where you can combine different foods to make your own. I'm interested in trying it but at the same time it doesn't look like it's a great food. Has someone tried this or can anyone help analyze it?

I'm thinking of combining these in a flake mix with a 50/25/25 mix respectively.

#130 Ultra Gold Duraflake: Wheat Meal, Fish Meal, Shrimp Meal, Soybean Meal, Wheat Gluten, Fish Solubles, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Vitamin Supplement*, Mineral Supplement **, Lecithin, Stay C Dry, Emerald Green, Ethoxyquin (antioxidant)

Min Protein 38% Min Fat 5% Max Fiber 5% Max Moisture 8%

#140 Spirulina Duraflake- Fish Meal, Wheat Meal, Soy Flour, Shrimp Meal. Spirulina, Wheat GLuten, Kelp Meal, Fish Oil, Alfalfa Meal, Vitamin Supplement*, Mineral Supplement**, Stay C Dry, Emerald Green, Ethoxyquin (antioxidant)

Min Protein 40% Min Fat 5% Max Fiber 4% Max Moisture 8%

#170 Veggie Duraflake- Wheat Meal, Fish Meal, Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Kelp Meal, Wheat Gluten, Fish Oil, Spirulina, Vitamin Supplement*, Mineral Supplement**, Stay C Dry, Ethoxyquin (antioxidant)

Min Protein 31% Min Fat 5% Max Fiber 4% Max Moisture 9%

I don't know the Stay C Dry is nor have I ever heard of Ethoxyquin as an antioxidant but I want to know what someone thinks about this.

And it looks like the flakes are more like the Tetra crisps in shape.

Edited by BeginAgain

If it is flake, do not use it at all. Flakes are not an appropriate goldfish diet.

Flakes are not good for goldfish due to the fact that they float, that they very quickly foul the water as they disintegrate, and that the nutrients in them fade quickly as they soak. The one of the first couple ingredients in most flakes is wheat meal. This means that this is one of the larger-volume ingredients. Goldfish do not necessarily do as well when given mostly wheat and not the more nutritious ingredients. The closer wheat meal is to #1, the less of the good stuff you're going to find.

Edited by ChelseaM

Gel food shouldn't be all that messy. At least that's my experience with it. I often use Repashy because it's quick, easy, and freezes well once it is made.

You could let your gel gel and then cut it into small bits like pellets. If you make enough, just load the small pieces onto a cookie sheet (making sure they don't touch), freeze them, and then transfer them to a smaller container. The first freezing process makes sure that they don't stick together in the smaller permanent container. Then you can just grab some of your gel pellets and plop them into the tank. Keeping them in the freezer extends the shelf-life too, which means you can make more at a time.

• Admin

Is Repashy only sold online? And which would be best the Super Green, Soilent, Community, or Redrum? And how long does the 4 oz bag last?

you can by it from our sponsor Tastyworms.com

Which one is best Community, Soilent, or Super? Or would it really matter a ton since for the most part they all are the same? I found out Redrum is only for about 10% of the diet.

Edited by BeginAgain

Which one is best Community, Soilent, or Super? Or would it really matter a ton since for the most part they all are the same? I found out Redrum is only for about 10% of the diet.

Soilent and Super are the most recommended as a staple diet. TastyWorms has the best price, but LFS around here that aren't big chains sell it.

I am going to be trying redrum here shortly, so I can give a better review on it later. It's not a staple diet, but a color enhancing supplement.

Soilent and Super have been known to give fish a yellowish tinge. This isn't permanent, so shouldn't change your fish's chances of becoming a panda. Remember, though, that panda fish do not often stay pandas. That being said, my red and white fish has experienced no yellowing with Soilent, so it is different between each fish. I actually hoped his wen would get a little yellow, because I find the yellow wen attractive.

Edited by ChelseaM

What do you mean by "become" a panda?

I think all pandas 'become' pandas. :idont

I suppose so :hmm

Just didn't think you could accurately predict they'd become one. :teehee

What do you mean by "become" a panda?

I think all pandas 'become' pandas. :idont
I suppose so :hmm

Just didn't think you could accurately predict they'd become one. :teehee

That's true. Goldie genetics are very very complicated.

Well, he is starting to turn already but he is still goldish black. And granted it's not 100% sure but he came from a tank right next to some pandas that were further along color change wise. So the yellow will come and then fade? There is a huge fish auction that I am amped up about this Sunday with a lot of stuff and I'm going to be looking for a tank and stand and maybe some foods that are mostly online only, like Repashy.

Edited by BeginAgain

I can't predict if it will come or fade or what. My male never got it in the first place, but I also had a fish turn almost green from eating it. It's different with each fish.

Wasabi is the fish you're talking about, right? He just looks like he's changing colors. Like I said, Pandas don't always stay Pandas, as black is the most unstable color in goldfish. That black/orange looks a lot like fry color or bronze and not black to me from the photos I have seen, which means he's just changing colors.

\

Edit: Are you talking about the Dandy Orandas auction? Be aware that his fish are often much larger than your LFS generally would stock. He also ships fish the week after they're sold, so don't bid on anyone until you're ready to take one.

Edited by ChelseaM

Yes it's Wasabi, no not Dandy Oranda the local aquarium club is having one. And we'll be making a trip probably next weekend out to a couple of not so local LFS, they are like little mom and pop stores but about an hour away. Green would be a cool looking fish :thumbup2: I think I'll look for Super because even though it has no fish they get worms and shrimp already and I'm trying to get them to learn how to eat worms better before I buy more live black worms for them. Those suckers are a pain to keep alive for more than about 2 days.

Edited by BeginAgain

I would stay away from live foods just because of the risk of parasites. Frozen bloodworms are often sterilized and don't carry the risk. Plus, like you mentioned, live is a pain in the butt. :rofl I promise that they will immediately know how to eat bloodworms. All goldfish do. :teehee

Super is a good choice! I am actually switching my fish over to super while I try the redrum so that I have more of a balance. Right now they are on Soilent.

It's really cool that you have a local aquarium club that does goldfish!

I definitely felt a bit intimidated by gel food at first but I got some Super Green and found it's extremely easy to make and use. My goldfish as well as my tropicals love it and it's very good for them. I have noticed some yellowing on the bellies' of my goldfish. This doesn't bother me at all, as I think it looks interesting and I don't care as long as they're eating healthy, but I know some people are bothered by it. My red and white common has only turned slightly yellow on his belly and I've been feeding Super Green regularly for six months or so. The rest of his white pattern is as white as ever.

Tastyworms does indeed have the best prices for Repashy unless you happen to catch a crazy deal somewhere.

It's sadly not just goldfish it's tropical fish in general. I haven't had problems with my blackworm supplier, except for the fact that there are a LOT of leeches in summer :yikes I'm thinking about making the long blocks like the San Francisco Bay bloodworm packs, the ones in plastic bags, squished flat. I wonder if the color change is if you feed just about only Super and maybe it's less if you feed it only about 60% of the time or so.

Some companies call their foods flakes, when they are actually not.

A classic example is the Goldfish Connection spirulina flakes. They are disks, and do not float. :)

These look like those Tetra goldfish crisps though.

A classic example is the Goldfish Connection spirulina flakes. They are disks, and do not float. :)

I have no idea what that means, since I've never used Tetra crisps. :rofl

I have no idea what that means, since I've never used Tetra crisps. :rofl

I have seen people feed them. They're just a thick flake. :rofl