Emersed in Iwagumi (Photo Heavy)

Daniel

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking that too, Susanne, although I've been told that if you meet their requirements from the get go, there should be no need to acclimate from submerged to emersed or vice versa. I'm still rather optimistic. :)

I find with my own tanks that plants are often trial and error. Every system is different, and even when things don't go the way you want them to, you walk away learning something new. :)

I hope that it all turns out well. :hug

Edited by yafashelli

Thanks, Alex and Tammy. :)

I woke up to a lot more greenery this morning! :Jig: I culled some more glosso and separated the healthy portions for replanting. I cut the hair grass back a fair bit as well. The energy used to keep that much yellow alive could be best spent elsewhere. Time to be a little more proactive, I'm not giving in just yet.

Whoops, forgot the photo. It's just a quick phone snap. Ignore the random hair grass clipping, it has since been removed.

Untitled_zpsfaa9f24f.jpg

Edited by dan in aus

I have some disappointing news, especially since things were starting to bounce back. In between going to bed and the lights turning on today, a monster mould outbreak of egregious proportions occurred. I had to tear out about 80% of what was in there. I even removed some of the aqua soil. I'll have to dose everything in the tank with hydrogen peroxide later. For now I'll see how the remaining 'healthy' glosso and two little bunches of hair grass go, but it looks like I'll be going with plan b—a.k.a. finish getting all the necessary equipment and set everything up submersed. I'm not sure how long that will take with university going back soon, but I suspect any submersed set-up will fall within the original emersed grow out period I allowed for.

Don't give up! :(

If it makes you feel better, I reign supreme as Plant Murderer.

Well technically I didn't kill anything. I just set up the environment, it was the mould that killed everything. That is my story and I'm sticking with it. :rofl

I really enjoyed reading this! My hermit crab tank gets mould on the drift wood occasionally but I squash it with salt water misting which is obviously not a fox in this situation. Regardless plants in my experience can be much harder to keep alive than fish! :rofl. I hope the glossy bounces back.

I have some disappointing news, especially since things were starting to bounce back. In between going to bed and the lights turning on today, a monster mould outbreak of egregious proportions occurred. I had to tear out about 80% of what was in there. I even removed some of the aqua soil. I'll have to dose everything in the tank with hydrogen peroxide later. For now I'll see how the remaining 'healthy' glosso and two little bunches of hair grass go, but it looks like I'll be going with plan b—a.k.a. finish getting all the necessary equipment and set everything up submersed. I'm not sure how long that will take with university going back soon, but I suspect any submersed set-up will fall within the original emersed grow out period I allowed for.

I'm sorry to read all of this Dan. :( What a big bummer. Did you dose with the h. peroxide yet? If so, how did that go? I'm hoping your not discouraged.

I'm sorry to read all of this Dan. :( What a big bummer. Did you dose with the h. peroxide yet? If so, how did that go? I'm hoping your not discouraged.

I actually have no idea where I put my peroxide. :rofl I think I might have to buy some more. Fortunately I don't really get discouraged and I took into consideration a lot of possible outcomes when setting it up like this. I can't really say there's been any new growth since my last update. The new leaves are still tiny and not doing much.

I'm glad your not getting discouraged Dan. I've read that the Glosso plant is challenging and needs bright light. I hope it comes back. It's a beautiful plant. I'm enjoying seeing what your doing with this tank of yours.

I'm glad your not getting discouraged Dan. I've read that the Glosso plant is challenging and needs bright light. I hope it comes back. It's a beautiful plant. I'm enjoying seeing what your doing with this tank of yours.

I'd say that's a common misconception actually. Glosso will grow under pretty much any circumstance, but it will only carpet horizontally under higher light. Under low light it grows more vertically. :)

I'd say that's a common misconception actually. Glosso will grow under pretty much any circumstance, but it will only carpet horizontally under higher light. Under low light it grows more vertically. :)

I just recently bought a small plant book (did a review here with some photo's) and I looked up the plant. It said what I mentioned above about it. I'm glad your saying otherwise though. I like the plant.

There was another mould outbreak. I'm down to one little glosso plantlet. :rofl

In other news, I have most of the physical equipment for plan B ordered. I'm still yet decide on co2, mainly because of the initial cost, but it will probably become an eventuality. Stay posted for updates in a few weeks time. :)

There was another mould outbreak. I'm down to one little glosso plantlet. :rofl

In other news, I have most of the physical equipment for plan B ordered. I'm still yet decide on co2, mainly because of the initial cost, but it will probably become an eventuality. Stay posted for updates in a few weeks time. :)

Could you use glutaraldehyde until you get a co2 system rolling?