Rescued goldies--not sure I'm doing the right things for them

Sara Shissler

• Supporter

How's it going, Sara?

They all look good! There hasn't been any bottom-sitting this round of Prazi, and they are done with it tomorrow, so that is good!

They are still doing the thing where they open their mouths really wide, and the oranda has been scratching his sides on the sand, so those stupid flukes are still there, but we have three more rounds of Prazi to go.

I had to separate both boys from the fantail because she is just too tired to stand them bothering her and her tail is still a mess. I guess the tail attacks were mating behavior.

But you were right about the probiotics. They are all constipated now. I started feeding some canned, unsalted green beans to try and get them to go. I don't think it would be any use giving them probiotics now while they are on the Medi-Gold.

At least I'm not worried anymore. They seem to be over the worst of it.

Thanks for asking! :D

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear they are more active, Sara.

It was a great idea to get that tank divider!

When you say they are constipated, can you share more details on this? Like are you seeing any poop or do they looked bloated, etc.

• Supporter

whew! sending good wishes… :)

Glad things are going in the right direction :D Sending good vibes your way!

Thanks, everyone! I could never have made it this far without your support. I was thinking of trying Prazi before I found Koko's, and I would have really flipped out when they got worse, and I wouldn't have known what to do...

Good to hear they are more active, Sara.

It was a great idea to get that tank divider!

When you say they are constipated, can you share more details on this? Like are you seeing any poop or do they looked bloated, etc.

Yes, I was lucky I found a divider that fit the tank. It was the last one they had. You should see them staring at each other through it. They spend hours looking longingly at each other.

About two days ago they pretty much stopped pooping. They don't look bloated or floaty, but I'm not seeing anything, and that is even more strange considering that I have upped their feed. I fed some green beans yesterday and today, and still almost nothing.

Is it time to try some epsom salt?

Let's not feed them any more beans or anything other than the Medi Gold for now. As long as they are not showing any floating, bloating, etc. I would also hold off on the Epsom. There are already enough meds in the tank. If things decline, let us know :)

Edited by jmetzger72

• Supporter

Let's not feed them any more beans or anything other than the Medi Gold for now. As long as they are not showing any floating, bloating, etc. I would also hold off on the Epsom. There are already enough meds in the tank. If things decline, let us know :)

OK :thumbup2:

Edited by jmetzger72

• Supporter

Everyone still looks pretty good. It looks like the boys' tails are healing nicely. The fantail's tail has also healed a little since the great tail attack.

I did notice the fantail resting on the bottom this morning when they were still asleep, but other than that they are behaving normally, although they are all still scratching their sides on the sand.

The constipation has improved a little. The fantail has started pooping maybe half of what she normally would, and the other two are going a tiny bit with some stringy stuff--so I'm not sure whether or not I should be concerned about that.

I'd like to fast them but they are still on the Medi-Gold, and I am starting round 4 of the prazi today.

Is it normal for them still to be scratching and yawning after three rounds of prazi? Could they need another double dose or a salt dip? Just wondering.

Thanks!! :D

If the oranda is a "she," the tummy would not be out of the ordinary. :)

Could you summarize where we are in terms of treatments (what days)? It may be time to stop meds etc.

• Supporter

If the oranda is a "she," the tummy would not be out of the ordinary. :)

Could you summarize where we are in terms of treatments (what days)? It may be time to stop meds etc.

I'm pretty sure the oranda is a boy. He chases the female when she is ready to drop eggs. :teehee Do you think he is she!?!?

I've done three rounds of prazi so far. Today would be the start of the fourth round, but I wanted to wait for further instructions.

The first round of prazi was started on 2/6. In between that one and the second round, I waited a week and brought the tank to 0.3% salt, and kept it at that through the second round.

During the second round of prazi they got really lethargic and were bottom sitting and their tails got worse. This was a double dose. So that's when I started the Medi-Gold--2/24.

The third round of prazi they handled well. The oranda and the fantail are still scratching themselves on the tank bottom and yawning occasionally, but all of their tails are definitely healing.

gracious, what a cutie! i know *nothing* about fancies, so have nothing to add. except:

gracious, what a cutie!

:D

Thanks--I'm starting to have a thing for orandas!

Edited by Saracatt

• Supporter

How is everyone, Sara?

They are looking good! :P

Still a little bit of scratching, but the fins keep improving every day.

I fed them lightly on canned, unsalted green beans the past two days, and there was a little more pooping, but not that much more. :(

Thanks for asking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

Hi again--it's been over a week since I've posted, so that must mean that things are going well!

Update: I just finished round 4 of Prazi. There was no lethargy or bottom-sitting this time! :happydance

The telescope looks completely healed except for some pale patches where there are missing scales.

The oranda and the fantail are still growing in their fins nicely, but they still scratch and yawn occasionally, especially the oranda. He got so scratchy with this last round of prazi that when scratching on the sand wasn't good enough, he started rubbing on the other fish! :blink:

So....should I continue with the next two rounds? Do you think they will have some relief from the itchiness by the end of it? This has taken a long time!

Thanks!

Sara

One of the mods will recommend whether to continue the prazi rounds, I just wanted to say hello and it so good to hear that in this last round of prazi there was no lethargy and bottom-sitting.