Rescued goldies--not sure I'm doing the right things for them

Sara Shissler

How are they doing today, Sarah? If they are still mopey and I am still not around, would you ask one of the mods/helpers online to guide you with how to deal with secondary bacterial infections.

Basically, if eating, then Medi-Gold.

If not, then metro + kana in the water. Beware the cycle.

Lisa, thank you so much for your continued invaluable contributions to this thread. :)

You are welcome, Alex!

How much Medi-Gold should be feed to Sarah's goldfish? I know with MMs, it was 1% of their weight per day for at least 14 days. Is this the same for Medi-Gold?

Should anything else be done at this time for the oranda's and fantail's fins?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

I fed the Medi-Gold today, and she already has perked up compared to yesterday. (:

She isn't bottom-sitting, but her fins are still clamped down.

I still feel like there is something else I should be doing for the tail though.

Should I stay on track with the Prazipro schedule, and treat again in two days? I wonder if they weathered it better the first time because they were still on the Medi-Gold.

Thanks!

Edited by Saracatt

Sara,

If you haven't weighed your fish yet, here is video on weighing fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ6MM8UCjI

Like Alex said, feed 1% of their body weight of MediGold to each fish each day.

If you don't have a kitchen scale, then post body length (without fin) of each fish and the mods can approximate from there how many pellets of MG to feed each fish.

You'll want to research feeding probiotics to your fish after they are done with the MG. This would have been their second round of MG, so their digestive system will need some help in being repopulated with beneficial bacteria.

Edited by LisaCGold

• Supporter

Sara,

If you haven't weighed your fish yet, here is video on weighing fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ6MM8UCjI

Like Alex said, feed 1% of their body weight of MediGold to each fish each day.

If you don't have a kitchen scale, then post body length (without fin) of each fish and the mods can approximate from there how many pellets of MG to feed each fish.

You'll want to research feeding probiotics to your fish after they are done with the MG. This would have been their second round of MG, so their digestive system will need some help in being repopulated with beneficial bacteria.

Hmmm, I don't have a scale. Two of them are 2 inches long, and one is 2.5 inches.

Please stay on track with the Prazipro, although now you do not need salt anymore. :)

Lisa, the Medi-Gold is also at 1% of body weight daily. :)

Ok--she is back to her normal self today! The Medi-Gold must really help.

Okay, I've PM'd fantail1 for a MediGold pellet count per fish. She and the mods have figured out how to do this using body length. So cool! I know they have done this with MetroMeds, I assume they can do this for MediGold.

• Supporter

Okay, I've PM'd fantail1 for a MediGold pellet count per fish. She and the mods have figured out how to do this using body length. So cool! I know they have done this with MetroMeds, I assume they can do this for MediGold.

Wonderful! I don't mind weighing them eventually, but I'd actually hate to add to their stress right now.

It depends on what your goal is. If you're trying to get them to grow, you'll want to up their feeding. If you're happy with their size, less is fine.

I honestly don't weigh my fish' food but I do weigh my fish about monthly. I don't shoot for huge growth but slow and steady. If one or a couple have a huge growth spurt I cut back for a while. I don't weigh my own food. I'm not gonna weigh my fish'. :rofl

Not that there is anything wrong with weighing. I just choose not to. :D

• Supporter

Interesting. I think I will weigh them once they are well. I'm curious to know now.

Slow and steady growth seems good to me. But it's good to know they can have a little more if I feel like treating...

That's the reason that the fantail is bigger than the others. When she's not sick, she is the queen-diva-bully fish of the tank, and she muscles in and gets more food than the others. But I guess it's a good thing that she's the biggest since she's in with two boys.

• Supporter

Both the fantail and the oranda have had periods of bott-sitting today. I did a water change and fed them, and they have perked up somewhat, but the fantail especially is back to where she was two days ago.

Should I still start the next prazi round today? Is there something else I should do? The water parameters are all good.

I was late feeding the Medi-Gold this morning. Could that have made a difference?

• Supporter

Update: Ok--they are back to swimming around like normal. Although the oranda is still having moments where he seems to be floating aimlessly, then he perks up again. I gave them a second dose of Medi-Gold and they perked right up. This back and forth is stressing me out! But I am still wondering if I should wait a bit to start the Prazi again to give them a break. Thanks!

• Supporter

Sorry--

The first round of Prazi started on 2/6 and ended on 2/10.

Then we took a week long break and I brought the salt up to 0.3%.

The second round (another double dose) started 2/19 and ended 2/23.

I did a water change today, but didn't re-dose the salt.

They have been on Medi-Gold for the past two days.

According to the schedule, I would start the third round today, but I'm wondering if they need some more time off. Is it harder on them when it's a double dose?

• Supporter

You can give them a few more days off but I'd be sure and start Prazi back up while they are still on MediGold. Maybe start the next round of Prazi on Saturday or Sunday? :idont

OK--is it the flukes, or the secondary bacterial infection that is likely causing the listlessness?

• Supporter

They are doing much better today. Everyone is swimming, and fins are up. I guess I'll just start the third round of Prazi today. That way they will be on the Medi-Gold for this round and the next one.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!!!

They are doing much better today. Everyone is swimming, and fins are up. I guess I'll just start the third round of Prazi today. That way they will be on the Medi-Gold for this round and the next one.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!!!

You may find that later in the day they slow down and that's okay. I agree with proceeding with Prazi and Medi-Gold (no salt). And of course the WCs.

hello saracatt,

i empathize with the stress of seeing them sit on the bottom! i do believe it causes me more stress than them, so much of the time! :)

good thoughts to you and your charges...