Rescued goldies--not sure I'm doing the right things for them

Sara Shissler

• Supporter

Hello again!

OK--it has been 7 days at 0.3% salt.

The oranda's tail looks much better. :happydance I can hardly see any red streaks in his tail, and the angry red spots on the ends are gone. It also looks like some of the tears have started to heal. He was the one I was the most worried about.

The fantail's tail is about the same, but it has stopped getting worse. Before it seemed like they were worse every time I looked at them. He still has the straight tears that look like a scissors cut them.

And the telescope, I'm not so sure about. His fins all look like they've lost the color on the edges, and are just slightly frayed. Although he never floats at the top anymore, so that is wonderful!

The oranda still occasionally scratches his side on the bottom, so I'm assuming the flukes are still there, so should I start treating with the Prazipro again? I may have under dosed it last time. I was using 1 capful per 20 gallons, however, the first bottle I bought was a 1 ounce bottle, and the second I just bought is 4 ounces, and I just realized that the caps are different sizes! :doh11:

I also added an aquaclear 70. They were on sale at the fish store, so now the water is crystal clear!

Should I do a water change and then start the prazipro schedule again? Should I go back to 0.1% salt, or should they stay at 0.3% Was the salt for flukes, or was it to help with secondary bacterial infections?

Thanks!

Sara

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear from you, Sara! Alex or a mod will be by soon to guide you on the next step. I just wanted to say "Hello!" and good to hear your fish are getting better and/or not worse.

Can you remind us: you've done one round of prazipro (potentially under-dosed) and have done 7 days of .3% salt without prazipro, correct? If not, remind us of the treatment you have done so far. Instead of going through all the posts, it is easier for us if you summarize.

Can you get pics of your fishes' fins?

Thanks!

• Supporter

Thanks, Lisa!

Yes--I did one round of Prazipro, along with 0.1% salt and three salt dips--the last one at 3%. Then after that for the past week, they have just been in 0.3% salt in the tank.

Here are some pics--I'm getting better at photographing them too! I hope the links work.

fish2_zpsd0fd9c9a.jpg

fish6_zps17739e83.jpg

fish3_zps5a6a55c3.jpg

fish4_zps487c2178.jpg

• Supporter

Thanks! At first I thought the wen was strange looking, but it's grown on me. I think he's getting to be my favorite. He has the most personality.

I'm really glad you recommended the aquaclear. It was easy to set up. And it's perfectly silent. Which I love. I had thought the water was good before, but there is a noticeable difference now even though the tests are the same. That's got to make them feel better.

Edited by Saracatt

• Supporter

Yes, I was surprised by that. Before I had some of my own, I thought they were just pretty to look at. I think his behavior mostly has to do with trying to get food. They all beg, but he is the only one who stares me down and makes eye contact. When I was taking the pictures he was practically posing. He also follows me from side to side of the tank the whole time I'm in the room, and he is the only one who will eat out of my hand. The other are a bit skittish. He comes right over to me. I could probably just pick him right up if I wanted to. It's so cute! The fantail has completely an opposite personality. She is suspicious, rather than friendly, but that's ok, maybe she will warm up one day.

Will yours eat out of your hand? I love that.

I've just found this thread, way to go everyone. Such a feel good situation. Congrats on the new fish Sara!

I know that they're still in recovery but I've seen fish in far worse shape, You're doing great :)

• Supporter

Another thing I've noticed, although I don't think the pictures show it is that the telescope and the fantail have been spending a lot of time with their dorsal fins down against their bodies, rather than sticking up. I don't know whether that's significant or not. The oranda used to do that, but now his is up almost all the time.

• Supporter

I've just found this thread, way to go everyone. Such a feel good situation. Congrats on the new fish Sara!

I know that they're still in recovery but I've seen fish in far worse shape, You're doing great :)

Aww--thanks, Herts! This forum is amazing. It's by far one of the best I've been on--for any topic.

Yes, I was surprised by that. Before I had some of my own, I thought they were just pretty to look at. I think his behavior mostly has to do with trying to get food. They all beg, but he is the only one who stares me down and makes eye contact. When I was taking the pictures he was practically posing. He also follows me from side to side of the tank the whole time I'm in the room, and he is the only one who will eat out of my hand. The other are a bit skittish. He comes right over to me. I could probably just pick him right up if I wanted to. It's so cute! The fantail has completely an opposite personality. She is suspicious, rather than friendly, but that's ok, maybe she will warm up one day.

Your white/red oranda has got the pose down!

Whale and Jack both eat out of my hand, but Jack cracks me up the most. On the days I fast them, Jack will tear up the java moss. I find bits and pieces in the filter intakes and floating around the tank. He use to tear up the marimo moss so I had to take that out of the tank (one time he ate so much, he appeared to get indigestion or something).

Both of them will come as close to me as possible as I stare into their tank. I put my fingers on the glass and they hang close to that spot looking mesmerized and calm. Pretty cool.

Edited by LisaCGold

Herts! Welcome back!

• Supporter

Your white/red oranda has got the pose down!

Whale and Jack both eat out of my hand, but Jack cracks me up the most. On the days I fast them, Jack will tear up the java moss. I find bits and pieces in the filter intakes and floating around the tank. He use to tear up the marimo moss so I had to take that out of the tank (one time he ate so much, he appeared to get indigestion or something).

Both of them will come as close to me as possible as I stare into their tank. I put my fingers on the glass and they hang close to that spot looking mesmerized and calm. Pretty cool.

I know that look! It gets me every time. I'll have to start fasting them one day a week too, but I think it will be very hard....

Hi Sarah,

Let's keep the salt at 0.3%, since it's doing its job, and dose in Prazipro and 2x the recommended amount. :)

Good luck, and keep us updated. I'm very glad things are moving in the right direction. :)

• Supporter

Hi Sarah,

Let's keep the salt at 0.3%, since it's doing its job, and dose in Prazipro and 2x the recommended amount. :)

Good luck, and keep us updated. I'm very glad things are moving in the right direction. :)

Thanks, Alex--I am too!

I was not thinking this morning--I did a water change and added the Prazipro, but I forgot that the new filter had charcoal in it. I had set it up with the media that it came with. So...I guess I'll start again tomorrow. It's probably taken most of the Prazipro out by now. I don't think I'm going to use charcoal from now on after reading some more about filtration on the site.

One more quick question though--I have some Seachem Purigen in my canister filter--will that remove the Prazipro, or should I take it out as well?

• Supporter

Hi Sarah,

Thanks, Alex--I am too!

I was not thinking this morning--I did a water change and added the Prazipro, but I forgot that the new filter had charcoal in it. I had set it up with the media that it came with. So...I guess I'll start again tomorrow. It's probably taken most of the Prazipro out by now. I don't think I'm going to use charcoal from now on after reading some more about filtration on the site.

One more quick question though--I have some Seachem Purigen in my canister filter--will that remove the Prazipro, or should I take it out as well?

Never mind--I think I found the answer--I'm going to take it out just to be on the safe side.

• Supporter

I've noticed the fantail bottom-sitting and clamping her fins since adding the prazipro. Right now she's huddled in the corner with her tail spread out, and her other fins are clamped down. Her gills are also moving a little more than normal.

Is this because of the flukes dying? The telescope did that a little the first day, but he is back to normal. If I go over to the the tank, she gets excited like it's feeding time, but then she sits back down. Nothing else in the tank has changed. The water parameters are all good, and I did a water change two days ago.

It's the second day on a double-dose of Prazipro + 0.3% salt.

It's technically the second round of Prazipro I've done, but I probably under-dosed the first round.

Edited by Saracatt

Have you checked your parameters?

I'm with ya on that. It's so easy for the parameters to get out of whack when treating. Even when the bottle says it won't.

Justin: Weird, I "liked" your post at the EXACT time you liked mine in "Canada v America:treats edition". My phone went off to notify me of yours as soon as I hit "like". lol