Rescued goldies--not sure I'm doing the right things for them

Sara Shissler

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.8!!!!

Told ya! :rofl :rofl :rofl

It's a pain to have to add it baking soda at every WC, but it simply works. We also know exactly it's limitations and capabilties in terms of modulating and buffering the pH, so I am quite confident about recommending it. Crushed coral is really nice in theory, but does not deliver in a practical setting, unless you are prepared to have CC as substrate.

This pH is fine, and the different in tap versus tank, after buffering means that you can comfortably do a 60% WC max each time, without needing to be too concerned that the pH dropped too much.

Remember to dose baking soda every time you do a WC. I would recommend getting a kH/gH kit (but I think you already have this), and aim for the final kH to be around 150-175ppm :)

Edited by dnalex

• Supporter

The pH went up to around 8 today--kH 6.

The dips were fine also at the full 3% salt. The oranda made it almost four minutes with lots of nudging. They do seem more peaceful now.

I'll report back as I keep going with the prazi. You said to do a dip when I start the next round of prazi. Is it just one?

I'm pretty confident that they are going to make it now that I've found Koko's--I guess I can name them now!

Great job!!

Just one round of prazi? Probably not but that will be decided after we see how they react to round 1. Usually we will do 2-3 rounds of prazi then another round after giving them, and you, a bit of a break. :rofl

You are doing wonderfully with them!! :clapping:

Fins regenerate at an incredible rate if they're not infected! :D

Keep an eye on them and you might just be surprised at how awesome fish are at growing their fins back. :nana

Edited by Chai

Once your done using MediGold, you'll want to consider using a high quality goldfish food (if you haven't already thought about this). This will help in all forms of tissue regeneration.

Here is some info:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/food.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115196-the-food-hunt/

Of course there is the food thread which you can read for days. :)

Edited by LisaCGold

Fantastic teamwork, everyone! :)

I don't anticipate needing more salt dips, but the next things that we would like to see now are: 1) no more progression of fin issues, and 2) the signs of fin regrowth. :)

• Supporter

I don't anticipate needing more salt dips, but the next things that we would like to see now are: 1) no more progression of fin issues, and 2) the signs of fin regrowth. :)

They'll be very happy about this!

Once your done using MediGold, you'll want to consider using a high quality goldfish food (if you haven't already thought about this). This will help in all forms of tissue regeneration.

Here is some info:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115196-the-food-hunt/

You're so on top of things, Lisa--food was the next thing I was going to ask about. I guess today is actually the 14th day on the Medigold. I started on Monday two weeks ago. I haven't seen any stringy poop for the past two days, except for a little bit with the telescope eye, who had the worst of the floaty issues. Should I keep feeding that until the stringy stuff is completely gone? The others are going normally now.

I was thinking of switching to ProGold, since they have done so well on the Medigold. It seems to be similar in composition. Before that I was feeding Omega One and Hikari spirulina wafers, but both of those seem to clog them and make them float. The oranda and the telescope eye never pooped normally on that, they just had the white stringy stuff for the most part. I wasn't sure whether it was the food part of the medigold that helped or the antibiotics. The one thing is that it actually sinks, and the omega one doesn't. I even tried soaking the Omega One and that didn't help.

The other thing that helped was peas, so I'll continue with that and try some other veggies.

They'll be very happy about this!

Here is some info:

You're so on top of things, Lisa--food was the next thing I was going to ask about. I guess today is actually the 14th day on the Medigold. I started on Monday two weeks ago. I haven't seen any stringy poop for the past two days, except for a little bit with the telescope eye, who had the worst of the floaty issues. Should I keep feeding that until the stringy stuff is completely gone? The others are going normally now.

I was thinking of switching to ProGold, since they have done so well on the Medigold. It seems to be similar in composition. Before that I was feeding Omega One and Hikari spirulina wafers, but both of those seem to clog them and make them float. The oranda and the telescope eye never pooped normally on that, they just had the white stringy stuff for the most part. I wasn't sure whether it was the food part of the medigold that helped or the antibiotics. The one thing is that it actually sinks, and the omega one doesn't. I even tried soaking the Omega One and that didn't help.

The other thing that helped was peas, so I'll continue with that and try some other veggies.

Regarding MediGold, Alex, can you chime in here and guide Sara as to when it would be good to stop?

Regarding ProGold, what I've read in the food threads is that some (maybe a lot of) people's fish get floaty on it and/or appear to develop some sort of sensitivity to it. It would be good though to give them a probiotic after having done MediGold (or any antibiotic for that matter). ProGold does have probiotics in it. Although Alex feels (from what I remember) the probiotics in the ProGold may not be as helpful as one thinks. I use naturally fermented sauerkraut, which is what I use for myself for a probiotic. I haven't been using this for long, so I don't totally recommend it at this point (I'm still experimenting with it).

Some people make up gel food (like Repashy or their own using agar agar) and put a probiotic in that. You can start a thread in the food forum to ask people what their thoughts are about a probiotic food for fish.

Maybe your fish will react differently to the Omega One and Hikari spirulina wafers after having had MediGold. But definitely use a sinking food, so maybe the Omega One is out.

One of the things is to make sure to not overfeed, try to feed more than once a day instead of just once with a lot, and use a sinking high quality food. I also fast my fish once a week. That is hard to do because they get so wiggly and cute when they see me, and Jack tears up the plants more on that day.

The spirulina wafer that I use is from Goldfishconnection. They call it spirulina flake but really it is a thick flake that easily sinks.

I try to stay away from food that puts grain in the first several ingredients.

Sorry. That was a mistake. Just reading through the thread. I hope your fish will get better soon. Sounds like you are doing a great job anheat. And everyone on here seems to be very helpful. Best of luck

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

• Supporter

Just a comment, while many people have experienced floating on Pro-Gold it is one of the commercial pellets my fish does best eating. Newton floated terribly on Soilent Green.

Yes, it seems like it comes down to trial and error with the food. I was hoping there would be an easy answer. They floated on the homemade gel food that I tried as well. I think I will at least try the Progold or else I'll always wonder. I wish they had samples.

Sorry. That was a mistake. Just reading through the thread. I hope your fish will get better soon. Sounds like you are doing a great job anheat. And everyone on here seems to be very helpful. Best of luck

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I really like the spirulina from GFC also. Their shrimp pellets are great too. ProGold has been hit or miss with my fish so it's out of the line up for now. :idont

I've just started (actually only fed them it once) Omega One. I have small sinking pellets. I'll be interested to see how they do on it.

I think my favorite pellet now is NLS Thera A 1mm pellet. I give that pellet the most along with Hikari Lionhead and now the Omega One.

It is definitely lots of trial and error. If I had any ProGold I'd send ya some but after my fish were getting floaty on it I tossed it. :o It was a year old and time to be tossed anyway . . . .

Good luck finding a good pellet they like! :D

• Supporter

I really like the spirulina from GFC also. Their shrimp pellets are great too. ProGold has been hit or miss with my fish so it's out of the line up for now. :idont

I've just started (actually only fed them it once) Omega One. I have small sinking pellets. I'll be interested to see how they do on it.

I think my favorite pellet now is NLS Thera A 1mm pellet. I give that pellet the most along with Hikari Lionhead and now the Omega One.

It is definitely lots of trial and error. If I had any ProGold I'd send ya some but after my fish were getting floaty on it I tossed it. :o It was a year old and time to be tossed anyway . . . .

Darn it! I just saw a small stringy thing coming from the fantail. But it's still 90% better than it was.

I just looked up the NLS Thera. They have this at a local store, so I think I will try it. The ingredients seem similar to the medigold, and it doesn't have wheat. I was thinking maybe that was what was causing the floating.

Darn it! I just saw a small stringy thing coming from the fantail. But it's still 90% better than it was.

I just looked up the NLS Thera. They have this at a local store, so I think I will try it. The ingredients seem similar to the medigold, and it doesn't have wheat. I was thinking maybe that was what was causing the floating.

My goldfish love NLS Thera. Get the 1mm if you can.

• Supporter

Here is a video. Today is day 5 of the Prazi, so I did a big water change this morning then they are off for two days.

The fins actually look a little worse to me, and I noticed that the oranda was back to scratching on the bottom occasionally. I don't know if you can see it in the video, but there are red marks on the edges of his tail. On my phone the video looks perfectly clear, but when I upload it, it looks fuzzy. I'll have to figure that one out--at least it fills the screen now!

Sorry if I'm not on top of answering right away today--have a lot of work to do!

Edited by Saracatt

Yes, they are in 0.1% salt. I did the water change this morning. I think according to the prazi schedule, I'm supposed to restart it in 3 days.

Great! Let's actually give them 7 days, and during that time, bring salt to 0.3%. :)