Rescued goldies--not sure I'm doing the right things for them

Sara Shissler

• Supporter

I think I solved the Ph problem for the dips at least. The bottled spring water that I have for drinking is nearly the same ph as the tank water. Is this ok to use if I put water conditioner in it? It is spring water, not distilled.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify--for a 1% salt solution I would add 10 teaspoons per gallon, not 30 right?

Yup, that's correct. :)

You'd most likely want to use the 3/4tsp measurement because I found out myself how much more 1tsp of canning salt weighs. :yikes

I think I solved the Ph problem for the dips at least. The bottled spring water that I have for drinking is nearly the same ph as the tank water. Is this ok to use if I put water conditioner in it? It is spring water, not distilled.

I don't see a problem in using spring water. Does anyone else? It can get costly so maybe use bottled spring water and aged water to keep costs down. I'd put water conditioner in the spring water just in case, also if you use Prime is helps with their slime coat.

• Supporter

Well, I just finished with the dips, and it wasn't so bad after all. They hated it, but the oranda and the telescope eye were fine. The fantail turned on her side after two minutes, but started swimming again, then she did it again at four minutes and I got scared and took her out. They all seemed fine immediately afterwards in the recovery bucket.

I did a 50% water change and added the 0.1% salt to the tank with the prazipro. So, today is day one.

I just used spring water this once since I didn't have aged water yet. That would get expensive!

Should I try 3% next time? And how often do I do the dips?

I'm wondering if they feel better already. The telescope eye was kind of jumpy, and darted around when he swam, but he seems peaceful now.

Thanks!!!

• Supporter

Thanks! I couldn't have done it without you guys!

I just noticed something. The telescope eye is definitely somewhat better. This is the first night in months that he hasn't floated at the top of the tank. He typically would be up there by this time. He is with the others towards the bottom in the sleeping area. Do they actually sleep? Yay!

On Monday it will be two weeks on the Medigold. Yes, they are still on it.

I'm so glad they seem to be doing better. :)

Here's one tip for the salt dip. When they start to fall over to the side, trying to nudge them a little to see if they will snap out of it. If they seem to genuinely be done with the dip, take them out. :)

Tomorrow, let's do 2% (double the amount of salt), and then 3% on Saturday.

That should be good until when we do another 3% on the day you start your prazi round.

Sara, I've been thinking about your water challenges (lowering tap pH to get closer to tank pH). I think it would be worth starting a thread in the water quality forum to figure out a more convenient way to deal with pH differences. It is worth exploring because of the cost of bottled spring water and the time involved in aging water. Maybe the consensus will be to age the water, but maybe you could put baking soda in the tank to get the pH closer to tank water pH. Maybe there are other choices that would simplify your water changing process. Anyway, I think it is worth exploring the possibilities in that forum. If you choose to do this, make sure to reference this thread so that people know your fish are undergoing a prazi treatment.

A quick try is just to add baking soda...use the table I have to add about another 100ppm kH to the tank. Baking soda will top out at pH 8.2 or so, and with the amount that I am suggesting, it may be enough to stop the pH from slipping down past 8.

A quick try is just to add baking soda...use the table I have to add about another 100ppm kH to the tank. Baking soda will top out at pH 8.2 or so, and with the amount that I am suggesting, it may be enough to stop the pH from slipping down past 8.

Does Sara need to do this over time--meaning going from current tank water of 7.4 to 8.2 is greater than a 0.5 jump so should this jump be made over an hour or two or longer?

• Supporter

Sara, I've been thinking about your water challenges (lowering tap pH to get closer to tank pH). I think it would be worth starting a thread in the water quality forum to figure out a more convenient way to deal with pH differences. It is worth exploring because of the cost of bottled spring water and the time involved in aging water. Maybe the consensus will be to age the water, but maybe you could put baking soda in the tank to get the pH closer to tank water pH. Maybe there are other choices that would simplify your water changing process. Anyway, I think it is worth exploring the possibilities in that forum. If you choose to do this, make sure to reference this thread so that people know your fish are undergoing a prazi treatment.

Yes, that would be much easier. I'll check this out.

Does Sara need to do this over time--meaning going from current tank water of 7.4 to 8.2 is greater than a 0.5 jump so should this jump be made over an hour or two or longer?

What I would like to do is this:

- add baking soda to existing tank water to raise up pH. This will get it to 7.8 or so. Once there, it will stay there.

- from then on, just do WCs as normal, but making sure to add baking soda every time.

Theoretically, this should be the end of problems.

• Supporter

Ok, baking soda is added, and fish are dipped for tonight. I will test the water tomorrow.

The telescope eye handled it fine. The fantail tilted immediately, but I kept nudging her the whole time and she made it the whole five minutes. The oranda only made it three minutes. I nudged him, but he got to the point where he just wouldn't move, and his gills were going like crazy, but he was fine once I put him into the freshwater recovery tank.

You're becoming a salt dipping expert! :teehee

I think it is good all three fish are going through the dipping and the prazi at the same time. Gives them something to talk about in the tank. :teehee