Sara Shissler

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

Hey, how is everyone?

I am sorry that I disappeared for a while. I've had quite a lot going on that was not goldfish related.....

Anyway, these guys are doing a lot better. I might even go so far as to say that they may be out of the woods--finally--knock on wood!

To summarize:

They were treated in Feb/March/April with four rounds of Prazi and breaks in between because of the fin cuts and scratching. They also needed Medi-Gold twice for secondary infections.

At the end of four rounds, the fins were all much better, but there was still tons of scratching against the bottom and yawning. I also tried a salt dip which didn't go well.

Alex suggested Tetra Parasite Guard, and slowly working up to 3% with the salt dips.

What I've done since then is treated with four rounds of Parasite Guard. Now, I never did do the salt dips. It was scary the last time, but I haven't seen a yawn or a scratch for almost a week after treating with the Parasite Guard.

Do you think this is enough? Things have calmed down, so I could continue with the salt dips if necessary, but it seems like they are doing well. Should I do another round of Parasite Guard?

I am scared to even post this, lest something else go wrong!

• Supporter

Finally!!! :carrot:

This is a happy day!!! :nana:redbanana:

Think good thoughts--yes, you're right--now where have I heard that before? :rofl3

So, just one more question before I let this thread go...from what I've read, the flukes are never completely eradicated. When should I plan on doing another Prazi treatment, since they had it so bad? I guess I will save the rest of the Parasite Guard to use only if I start seeing the gill-scratching and yawning symptoms again, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

I also have tons of MediGold left, so if anyone needs some, I'm sure I won't be using all of it before it expires, so just let me know.

My recommendation is to do one round every 6 months for the next 2 years. No salt needs to be added. You just add the prazi after a big water change when it's time, and then let subsequent water changes get rid of the meds. If you don't get any sort of reactions from the fish during these maintenance rounds, then you are done with the treatments, as long as you keep the system closed. :)

• Supporter

My recommendation is to do one round every 6 months for the next 2 years. No salt needs to be added. You just add the prazi after a big water change when it's time, and then let subsequent water changes get rid of the meds. If you don't get any sort of reactions from the fish during these maintenance rounds, then you are done with the treatments, as long as you keep the system closed. :)

Wow, that sounds so easy compared to everything I've had to do with these fish. OK, I will be sure to thoroughly bleach anything I add to the tank, and so hopefully they won't have this happen again.

Thank you everyone for your amazing knowledge and support. Especially Alex, and Lisa C.Gold and Lisa Fantailfan!

I don't imagine that there are many forums out there that would take a person by the hand and lead them through months of fish treatments.

Koko's rules!