Am I overfeeding?

kjm-rn

I do not own a scale to weigh my fish. I have an oranda and a fantail that are about 3.5 inches SL, the fantail is heavier though, and a butterfly telescope that is about 1.5 inches SL. I have been feeding about 40-50 Hikari lion head pellets 3 times daily. I also feed vegetables a couple times a week, mostly spinach on a veggie clip, and blood worms or brine shrimp about once per week (which I will skip 1-2 pellets meals when I give these).

I change 90% water every week, on the same day, but have noticed my nitrates are reaching over 40ppm. I have many large plants in the tank as well. Trying to find the culprit to the high nitrates.

Is there gravel in the tank? If so pellets can get stuck underneath it. Also, rather than doing 1 90% change you might want to do 2-3 40% changes, it'd stress the fish out less and cause less of a spike in the cycle as well as changing more water overall.

Is there gravel in the tank? If so pellets can get stuck underneath it. Also, rather than doing 1 90% change you might want to do 2-3 40% changes, it'd stress the fish out less and cause less of a spike in the cycle as well as changing more water overall.

Avoiding shock/stress in fish in regards to water changes (larger vs smaller amounts) is more relevant when there's a vast difference in pH or water temperature.

Multiple 40% is not as "useful" than a 90 - 100% water change if you're only trying to lower nitrate/nitrite/ammonia.

Edited by Chai

Avoiding shock/stress in fish in regards to water changes (larger vs smaller amounts) is more relevant when there's a vast difference in pH or water temperature.

Multiple 40% is not as "useful" than a 90 - 100% water change if you're only trying to lower nitrate/nitrite/ammonia.

I 100% agree. 90-100% water changes are more useful then multiple 40s as Cat said.

In my tank, I do weekly 90-100 percent water changes and see no adverse affect. And you won't bump the cycle with water changes like that. As long as the pH and temp are close, and the water is de-chlorinated, There will be NO bump in the cycle.

Edited by Mikey

Do you see their poops, and what do their poops look like.

Also, how active are the fish?

I see their poop, but it is quickly taken up by the filters (a fluval 406 and aqua clear 30). Their poop is brown, about an inch or so long. Occasionally I see air bubbles in their poop, but not too much.

My fish are very active, always swimming around searching through the sand (I have tahitian moon sand as a substrate). The fantail does have a habit of sucking air at the top of the water and then swimming down and blowing a bubble, I was unsure what that could signify, if anything.

My tank is 57 gallons. The tank and tap pH is the same, I use prime to dechlorinate, and I match the water temp as close as possible, by feel, before filling the water. The tanks temp is ambient at 68 F.

It doesn't seem like you are overfeeding at all. :)

Thanks, that is good to hear. Maybe I just need to increase my water change schedule to every 5 days to keep the nitrates down, it's just convenient to change the water the same day each week :)

It doesn't seem like you are overfeeding at all. :)

Thanks, that is good to hear. Maybe I just need to increase my water change schedule to every 5 days to keep the nitrates down, it's just convenient to change the water the same day each week :)

I think that would be a good place to start. :)