Sign in to follow this  
LisaCGold

How often do you do prazi treatments?

I've done only one prazi treatment (3 rounds) for my goldies so far (I've had them for three months). How many prazi treatments do you do for your fish per year?

I've done only one prazi treatment (3 rounds) for my goldies so far (I've had them for three months). How many prazi treatments do you do for your fish per year?

I am settling in to a routine of about 3-4 per year, which breaks down to one round (salt-less) every 3-4 months. Basically, when I remember to dose it in. :rofl

I have been doing a yearly dose of 2-3 rounds so far.

Assuming that your fish are acting normal etc. you do not need to worry about it again for awhile. If you like, do a couple more rounds about a year from when you did the first treatment.

EDIT: or you could do the way Alex does it :D

:rofl

There is no indication that one way is better than the other, and clearly, both seems to be doing the job. :)

There is no indication that one way is better than the other, and clearly, both seems to be doing the job. :)

I'm usually only reminded to do another prazi round if they seem off, which seems to be about yearly. :P Honestly the only times I have treated with prazi was when I started to see some bottom sitting or any built up slime coat spots on the tail.

I'm usually only reminded to do another prazi round if they seem off, which seems to be about yearly. :P Honestly the only times I have treated with prazi was when I started to see some bottom sitting or any built up slime coat spots on the tail.

Lisa (the mod Lisa :rofl) and I have gotten used to just dosing in every 3-4 months. I like it, because I have never had to use salt, and they don't even notice that they are being treated. :)

Lisa (the mod Lisa :rofl) and I have gotten used to just dosing in every 3-4 months. I like it, because I have never had to use salt, and they don't even notice that they are being treated. :)

are you doing just a single dose every 3-4 months?

Put your immunologist hat on :P do you think there is any risk of making super flukes by treating lightly often? (like overuse of antibiotics when not needed?)

I have had my fish for about a year now, and have never dosed them with Prazi.

Is Prazi not medicine?

Is it that we wait to see symptons before giving medicine, or is it a preventative action to dose fish in case we don't see symptoms for subtle illness?

Edited by Mr. Hyde

Is Prazi not medicine?

Is it that we wait to see symptons before giving medicine, or is it a preventative action to dose fish in case we don't see symptoms for subtle illness?

It's a medicine but as far as medicines go it is quite gentle (meaning it doesn't have some of the nasty side effects harsher medications can have). It is one of the few meds we use preventatively, since we assume that most fish carry flukes. Even those that don't have outward symptoms may be harboring flukes at subclinical levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Prazi not medicine?

It's a medicine but as far as medicines go it is quite gentle (meaning it doesn't have some of the nasty side effects harsher medications can have). It is one of the few meds we use preventatively, since we assume that most fish carry flukes. Even those that don't have outward symptoms may be harboring flukes at subclinical levels.

Thanks for explaining, as I did not know a lot about Prazi.

So, I guess the general idea is to treat once a year regardless.

Put your immunologist hat on :P do you think there is any risk of making super flukes by treating lightly often? (like overuse of antibiotics when not needed?)

I am doing just a single, saltless dose every 3-4 months.

The question that you posed is a very good one, and one that I had considered for some time as well. My rationale for doing a single dose is that usually drug resistance comes about after intense drug selection over an extended period of time. The way I am doing it, it avoids that issue by just a single spike every few months. The argument here is that there is no selective pressure for flukes with resistance genes to be around, since there is no prazi around to select for their enhanced survival. :)

The other strategy that I am working on is to do alternate maintenance (year by year, I think) with fenbendazole. I've used fenben before and have some. I just haven't quite gotten my act together. :)

Thanks for the explanation ;) that has been my one concern with preventative prazi dosing.

So, would it then theoretically be better to do more frequent single rounds than multiple rounds once a year?

I want an Immunologist hat too. :P

Lol

Thanks for the explanation ;) that has been my one concern with preventative prazi dosing.

So, would it then theoretically be better to do more frequent single rounds than multiple rounds once a year?

To be honest, I don't really think that one way is better than the other, given the caveat that the multiple rounds is 2-3 rounds as you did. :)

I have to read up a bit on mechanisms of praziquantel resistance, because right off the top of my head I am not sure how parasites resist this drug, actually. :o

I want an Immunologist hat too. :P

Once upon a time I had an actual hat, but then it's gone. :o:rofl

Mike, if you get a degree in immunology, I will buy you a hat. :rofl

I'm not saying it will be a super nice, worthy of years of your life hat, but some sort of hat. I promise. :rofl3

It has to be a Shriners hat...I mean, it has tassels.

How could you not want tassels...on anything, really?

Lisa & Alex.

I blame you guys for this particular derailment.

:P

It has to be a Shriners hat...I mean, it has tassels.

How could you not want tassels...on anything, really?

I haz tassels! look look :rofl

dybapamy.jpg

Lisa, it's Lisa who derailed your thread. Rest assured that I will file a complaint. :o

Alex, I'm going to steal your hat.

...I think I need to report my self to The Great and Powerful Oz(/Koko) for partial derailment...

Edited by Mr. Hyde

Alex, you look like a mannequin!

Don't ask for the reference, but when I was doing online research (online stressed) I did see dosing recommendations of quarterly one dose, or biannually multiple dosing.

I've treated my fish three times, two of those being follow-up prophylactic treatments.

Doing one now as noticed evidence of fin flukes but was going to do six rounds over six weeks.

I've never used salt as I have live plants.

However, I have to say Alex makes sense in treating spaced out once. Equates to vaccination booster shoots versus taking an antibiotic daily to ward off a bacterial cold.

I know there is evidence of drug resistant viruses and bacteria, but has there ever been a case of a higher organism becoming resistant to a drug?

Only if they might have flukes. I use salt. It never seems to bother my plants. But only if something is wrong.

Edited by Hidr

Alex, you look like a mannequin!

It's part of my defense mechanism, like camouflage. :rofl

Only if they might have flukes. I use salt. It never seems to bother my plants. But only if something is wrong.

So, you use Prazi only if they have flukes and salt as a preventative treatment?