Feeding bubble eye goldfish

orangeboar

Hello all! I hope this is the right place to put this. As of now, I had my bubble eye goldfish for just over 6 months. Last month, I upgraded to a 55 gallon tank from a 29 gallon. My fish are doing great in there! :o)

He did great in the 29 gallon because of the smaller space, so he was able to eat okay. But now, the tank size is almost double. He is still eating, but the tank space is so big now that he has to do trial and error and gulp even more air before he finds the pellets. I make sure he gets his fair share. This whole time, he has only been eating pellet food and I fed him peas around 2-3 times over the 6 months just to get some veggies in him. The thing is that he cannot find food any other way, even if it is in front of him. That means when I feed my fish bloodworms, brine shrimp, and other things, he is the only one not to eat them.

So yeah. I have to buy floating pellets because the sinking ones will get lost in the gravel and he cannot find them. So for the last 6 months, he has been gulping air this entire time. Is there anything else I can do for him? I was thinking that anything that is not floating, he will not be able to see and thus, not eat.

I am unsure about hand feeding as I have never done it before. And I read something about veggie clips? But then, the clip would only hold veggies? lol. And nothing else? He has definitely grown since I had him, so he IS eating. Just that I am concerned about swim bladder problems emerging. Thankfully, none of my goldfish has any problems with their swim bladder, but I'm afraid if I don't figure out another way, that it will happen to him one day. Before these goldies, I had 2 other goldies, all of which I lost to swim bladder problems. :o( One of them was a celestial eye, so again, it is the problem of not seeing the food and gulping air I think... They were sad days for me.

Edited by orangeboar

Regarding the clip, yes, it will only hold veggies. However, veggies make up the most of a goldfish's diet. (Algae, anyway, which I like to count as a veggie). I think the clip would be a good investment. You definitely need to feed veggies more than a few times per six months. Every day would be ideal, actually. Now, regarding the pellets--- PLEASE DONT FEED FLOATING PELLETS! Don't do it! Hand feeding is the way to go. I just got a fish that can't see due to his wen over growing, and he learned to hand feed in less than a week. You may not see immediate results, but he will learn to like your hand eventually. It is also a good bonding experience! Letting the fish gulp air can lead to MAJOR buoyancy problems down the line.

I actually only go to the supermarket one to two times a month for myself even lol. So I will see what I can do about the fresh veggies. Or maybe I can buy some frozen things for them.

I will do some research with forum searches for hand feeding.. But did you mean you hand feed the PELLETS? Or some other food. I have small sized pellets, so they would not fit in my hand at all, much less me holding them and then trying to spend time to get him to notice I have them in my hand before they slip out lol. Again, I will do research on what hand feeding really is, since I have no idea at all.

And do you handfeed all your goldfish? How long does it take. I only spend the weekends watching them since I work 10-12 hour days and plus the two hour commute, so I really fall asleep right when I get home lol. (and then it's the start of the next day again... BUT EXCUSES, EXCUSES xD) So time during the weekdays is really the only thing I am concerned about. I devote the whole weekend to my dog and fish haha. But I know I love my goldfish so if it takes a bit longer to feed them, I'll go ahead and do it. I have 4 goldfish. One common goldfish, 2 lionhead/ranchu, and the bubble eye.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Edited by orangeboar

Sinking pellets have lots of advantages and do reduce the chances for air gulping which is not a good thing. I don't necessarily think that eating floating pellets and excessive air gulping are synonymous, however, or that air gulping invariably leads to SBD. It can be that a few days a week, he gets the floating pellets to speed things up a bit for him and for you.

The veggie clip is a good idea. During the spring and summer, my fish and snails eat dandelion leaves that way. During the winter, they have lettuce and zucchini. Since the veggie would be in the tank for a day, the bubble eye would have plenty of time to find it (he could smell it, I think) and get some nutrition. Algae wafers and/or gel food may also be good ideas for him.

You could even separate him for an hour or so on the weekend and let him have some sinking pellets that way. Many of us already do this for snails.

And, be sure to give yourself some of the fresh veggies too. :)

Edited by motherredcap

Frozen veggies would be fine. I feed frozen peas. I just thaw them and peel them before feeding them. I only hand feed the big guy who can't see. The rest I just drop the pellets in and they find them themselves. I have very small pellets, and I can hold them and he eats them with no problem. You can also hand feed peas and any other foods you feed.

I think that algae and the veggies that we feed are two totally different things, and are not to be confused or lumped together.

Veggies are not likely to have much nutritional value for goldfish, being that they will have a harder time digesting terrestrial plants, while algae are quite nutritious for our fish.

Start hand feeding now. The earlier the better. Don't chase them down but hold the food near them if you can or by where the food is usually dropped in. If they are hungry enough, they will come eat. Buy bags of plain, generic brand, frozen peas and just shell a couple for your fish. Mine will usually get them every night to clear out anything before bed so they don't get constipated. You might want to try using this to entice the fish to eat from your hands.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+19398+5016&pcatid=5016