Beef Heart and Emerald Entree?

Justin

Hey guys! At PetSmart, they have the frozen blister packs for fish. I've seen brine shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, and emerald entree. Are all of these okay for goldfish, or should I not feed Emerald Entree? I've heard about feeding beef heart, brine shrimp and blood worms.

I fed emerald entrée for a short amount of time. The fish really liked it a lot, but it was messy so I only fed it on WC days just before I did the change. I probably would have it in the freezer right now if we had room, though.

Beef Heart is something I haven't heard much about when it comes to feeding goldies. :idont

Edited by ChelseaM

I fed emerald entrée for a short amount of time. The fish really liked it a lot, but it was messy so I only fed it on WC days just before I did the change. I probably would have it in the freezer right now if we had room, though.

Beef Heart is something I haven't heard much about when it comes to feeding goldies. :idont

I usually do brine shrimp for the pre-water change meal! :rofl I will try the emerald entree. Hopefully my fish love it like yours. I saw a post here where a member recommended feeding beef heart to make a fish grow. :idont

I use beef heart for my cichlids, but I haven't fed it to my goldies. It just seems odd for some reason to feed it to goldfish. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem odd for cichlids though. Hmmmmm.

I use beef heart for my cichlids, but I haven't fed it to my goldies. It just seems odd for some reason to feed it to goldfish. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem odd for cichlids though. Hmmmmm.

Probably because we see goldfish as so cute. It just seems wrong to feed them beef heart! It's probably also partly due to them being mostly herbivores. I think that most people feed WAY too much protein to their fish.

I usually do brine shrimp for the pre-water change meal! :rofl I will try the emerald entree. Hopefully my fish love it like yours. I saw a post here where a member recommended feeding beef heart to make a fish grow. :idont
My advice is not to feed things with the intention of making the fish grow. Focus on keeping them healthy. If they're healty then they will grow at their own pace.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

My advice is not to feed things with the intention of making the fish grow. Focus on keeping them healthy. If they're healty then they will grow at their own pace.

I try. But after owning the fish for eight months and not seeing very significant growth, I have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong...

Probably because we see goldfish as so cute. It just seems wrong to feed them beef heart! It's probably also partly due to them being mostly herbivores. I think that most people feed WAY too much protein to their fish.

That is probably it. A cute goldfish would never eat a cow's heart :lol:

That is probably it. A cute goldfish would never eat a cow's heart :lol:

Sometimes it's disturbing to see how much they love stuff like that! :rofl

The local fish guru (no fan of goldfish, I might add) swears by beef heart for all his fish and his is an excellent fish keeper (despite his dislike for goldfish). Trouble is, it's hard to know if his happy and healthy fish are the result of the heart or all the other positive things he does for the fish.

He also swears by something called Easy Life and I have no idea what is in that stuff.

I try. But after owning the fish for eight months and not seeing very significant growth, I have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong...

Why not try and post a list of your current feeding and schedule, as well as your setup, etc. and let everyone give you advice? I don't see slow growth as a bad thing, but a little reevaluation never hurt. Again, I will have to really suggest not feeding for growth but for health.

Also, it was wrong of me to say that goldfish are mainly herbivores. Alex corrected me on that in another thread. They mainly thrive on algae, which is a single celled organism and not a plant. :teehee They do, however, seem to do best on a diet high in plant matter and algae over a more carnivorous one.

Why not try and post a list of your current feeding and schedule, as well as your setup, etc. and let everyone give you advice? I don't see slow growth as a bad thing, but a little reevaluation never hurt. Again, I will have to really suggest not feeding for growth but for health.

Also, it was wrong of me to say that goldfish are mainly herbivores. Alex corrected me on that in another thread. They mainly thrive on algae, which is a single celled organism and not a plant. :teehee They do, however, seem to do best on a diet high in plant matter and algae over a more carnivorous one.

Well... I feed Omega One as a staple. I also feed peas and brine shrimp. I don't weigh my food, I just try to watch and see if they get enough to be happy. I think that may be the reason hey aren't growing much. I'm definitely feeding enough, I think, because they have grown slightly. Here is a picture from a month or two after I got them. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/

And here they are now. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/adebaga3.jpg

Sorry. Photography definitely isn't my forte. Sorry that there's no way to compare...

My impression has been that younger fish derive more benefit from a high protein diet and as they get older, less protein is needed/wanted. I could have misunderstood things people have said though.

My impression has been that younger fish derive more benefit from a high protein diet and as they get older, less protein is needed/wanted. I could have misunderstood things people have said though.

No, I agree completely. Younger fish have a faster metabolism, meaning they are able to process more protein than older fish. As they get older, a high protein diet may lead to constipation problems, especially since a goldfish's natural diet consists of mostly algae and vegetable matter.

This is true.

I repeat, goldfish are not mostly herbivores. You may consider them omnivores, but they are not even close to being herbivores. :(

In what way do you consider people feeding too much protein to their fish? How much protein do you consider too much?

I think we need to be really careful making broad, sweeping statements. :)

I repeat, goldfish are not mostly herbivores. You may consider them omnivores, but they are not even close to being herbivores. :(

In what way do you consider people feeding too much protein to their fish? How much protein do you consider too much?

I think we need to be really careful making broad, sweeping statements. :)

I think that old goldfish should not be fed as much meat as younger goldfish. Feeding too much meat can cause constipation, and it's happened to me before. I don't "consider" them omnivores. They definitely are. Chelsea also already corrected me about algae not being plant matter. I stated that goldfish were mostly herbivores because I believed that algae was a plant. I was mistaken, and I was corrected. I still believe, however, that older goldfish should not be fed as much meat product as younger fish.

Justin,

Where do we have the evidence causes constipation? I actually don't think that we do.

Moreover, don't get confused between too much protein compared to too much meat.

Finally, I would not consider beefheart because it is fatty, and also because the amino acid profile of beefheart is not the most ideal for goldfish.

Chelsea, they definitely appear to do better, and I suspect that it's the fiber content that is a critical contributing factor. :)

Chelsea, they definitely appear to do better, and I suspect that it's the fiber content that is a critical contributing factor. :)

Got it. It's fiber, not protein. :)

one.Chelsea, they definitely appear to do better, and I suspect that it's the fiber content that is a critical contributing factor. :)

I think so too. The lack of stomach to me logically would make me want to say that they need more fiber because there is nowhere to settle the most difficultly-digested bits like meat proteins. I think I am going to take a look at those people who have no stomachs to see if it has any correlation.

I'm going to compile the nutrition chapters in the fish books I have and present them hopefully in the next few days. :)

This would be a nice read.

I'm going to compile the nutrition chapters in the fish books I have and present them hopefully in the next few days. :)

Yay! :nana Maybe I can get my little ones to grow! I think it would be awesome for you to do that! It's amazing how much time you spend helping those on this forum. Thanks, Alex! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk