Beefcake and his babies at 7 months, together again.

DieselPlower

I wanted to do an update on my fry for a couple reasons. I have seen such questions on the forum as "at what point can I put fry in with adults", "aggression between big and small fish" and "what about feeding different size fish". Here is beefcake, who was my biggest fish, until my orange oranda had a growth spurt, and his fry, who are 7 months old. For those who don't know, the Mom of the fry was a chocolate oranda, who passed away shortly after she had the babies, from a completely unrelated accident that caused a nasty infection. I think the other orange Oranda you will see is also a male but Im not sure. These fish have been in this 125 gallon tank for about 2 weeks now. Boy do I love it. They seem to be getting along great! The big fish really are gentle giants. I feed them 3 different sizes of food, just because I like to mix it up. I will buy 3 containers of different types of food, and mix them all together. The little guys are awesome foragers, they leave nothing at the bottom. The big guys like to go for the easy pickings, since they can't get into the tight spots. I think 6 months would have been OK to transfer the fish over. I did have a terrible incident where I put a small common goldfish in with the fry, where I thought the common was not big enough to eat any of the fry, but it ate half of them overnight! The reason I did it was because the tank was becoming overrun with pond snails, and the commons do a great job cleaning them up. So, point there is better to wait an extra month if you are not sure. Pictures in next post because it is easier for me to load them on my phone. Any questions or comments are welcome.

Edited by DieselPlower

Yeah they are nice to watch. The two big guys usually glide slowly around the center while the little guys are exploring all over the bottom.

And yes I do believe they will all be fantails like their Dad.

At some point I will have to find new homes for a few of these guys because I don't think I can keep 14 fish in a 125 forever. I think I will move 2 into my 40B in my room and put a couple in the pond to give Ben, the only non common in the pond, some fancy company.

Edited by DieselPlower

Beefcake :tomuch: that name is terrific!

I love seeing the littles together with the big fellas! So adorable! Still loving your plant decorating :thumb:

So cute you are lucky to have such colourful fry! Mine are just black and copper because they are moor fry, maybe ill be able to have some colourful ones in my future, they look so cute and very healthy congrats!

My fry are almost 3 months for the larger ones and I will be putting them in the 130 starting in march, ill keep a posting of how it goes when I do it.

As long as they are too big for the intakes or to be eaten, just keep a watch and count going. I'm sure they will love it :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by Abyss

What a bunch of adorable photo's. The babies are so cute and mom and daddy fish are gorgeous. They all look wonderful in your tank together.

How's the plants doing? Is the substrate staying in place? You need to make an update video of how it's all doing.