Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

Spotted: strange worm

Good morning! Before I head off to class, I wanted to post something here. I don't have time to fill out the questionnaire right now but will do it later if necessary.

When I woke up this morning and went to check on the fish, I saw a type of worm that I had never seen before stuck to the glass of my tank. It was maybe a half inch long, had a sticky tail, and an arrow-shaped head. I remember seeing this before online, but for the life of me can't find out what it is. I stepped away to get my camera for a picture, and when I came back, it was gone. Any thoughts on what this worm might be, and how can I get it (and we must assume....THEM!) out????

Thanks!

:yikes

:idont but good luck!

Like this?

57106-albums10668-picture45329.jpg

Like this?

57106-albums10668-picture45329.jpg

Sort of, but the body was thinner and straighter, almost like a "stem". The head was like that, though.

actually - looked up that worm (planaria) and I think it might just have been reeeeeeaaaallly stretched out. what do I do to get rid of it??? So far I have only seen one

in addition, I thought I might add, the worm was out when it was dark and went away when I turned the lights on

Edited by kiwikacey

I hear that goldfish eat planaria and that it causes them no harm. I've also heard that planaria thrive in tank conditions that may not be the best for your goldfish. Something to consider. Maybe more thorough cleaning would help reduce the population of planaria.

There are more knowledgeable kokonuts than myself, so it will be interesting to see what others say.

Edited by LisaCGold

Water changes and clean out your filters. Do you have any substrate in your tank? :idont

Water changes and clean out your filters. Do you have any substrate in your tank? :idont

I hear that goldfish eat planaria and that it causes them no harm. I've also heard that planaria thrive in tank conditions that may not be the best for your goldfish. Something to consider. Maybe more thorough cleaning would help reduce the population of planaria.

There are more knowledgeable kokonuts than myself, so it will be interesting to see what others say.

I have a very thin layer of polished pond stones as a substrate (slightly thicker where there are plants, so they can root). I think what my first course of action will be is to replace my filter pads! My params are all good, so that's the only thing I can think of...I'll hang around to see if I should do anything else.

when i see potential 'protein' opportunities in my tanks, i don't feed my fish for a few days :) all shall be well :)

when i see potential 'protein' opportunities in my tanks, i don't feed my fish for a few days :) all shall be well :)

ha! well, they'll sure be happy foraging.... :)

I have a very thin layer of polished pond stones as a substrate (slightly thicker where there are plants, so they can root). I think what my first course of action will be is to replace my filter pads! My params are all good, so that's the only thing I can think of...I'll hang around to see if I should do anything else.

Other than rising your filter pads with tank water, I don't think there is a need to replace them unless they are falling apart. I rinse my filter pads about once every 7 to 10 days.

What Helen said. Planaria thrive on excess food and are very nutritious.

Other than rising your filter pads with tank water, I don't think there is a need to replace them unless they are falling apart. I rinse my filter pads about once every 7 to 10 days.

Ok! When I do my WC tomorrow, I'll check the pads/rinse them or replace, according to their condition

Thanks, everyone! This makes me feel a lot better....I immediately thought my fish had contracted some awful parasite!

What Helen said. Planaria thrive on excess food and are very nutritious.

i learned that from you! oh mighty wise one :bighug