Goldfish training

mysterygirl

This is a thread about what you’ve trained or taught your goldfish to do. Most of us know about Comet who can push a little soccer ball into a net, swim under a limbo rod, and weave through a slalom course.

What have you taught your fish to do?

Even gaining your fish's trust to take food from your hand counts here. Will it follow your finger to find floating pellet? Do your fish let you touch them? I heard someone here say they trained their pond goldfish to swim to a designated viewing area when they played a certain type of music. I'd like to hear how you interact with your fish.

And...has your fish trained YOU? Does it act in a certain way to try to get you to feed it or give it a treat?

:r030: Weigh in, Kokonuts!

Hahah I love this post!

Mine all eat from my hand when I feed gel food.

Only one will peck at my hand if I put it in my tank. His name is happy head and he is the friendliest.

My large oranda Boofa used to spit at me when he was hungry! Funniest thing I have ever seen a goldfish do! He was 25cm nose to tail tip so you can imagine how big the spit was!

I have always wanted to teach them there names. But don't have the time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Supporter

i have taught mine to follow me repeatedly.. boring, i know. but it's the only way to get them to use their entire tank and not just the food begging areas.

other than that, if i dangle a bioball from a fishing wire, and add some garlic in the centre.. we play.. for hours... :rofl

1. My fish know their names and most of the time will come when called.
  2. They know how to hand-feed and take turns based on whom I call.
  3. They know the word 'no' means 'stop whatever you're doing.' They listen.
  4. They are trained to accept being handled, and Tsumo even likes it so much that he will demand to be 'cuddled with' when I am messing around with the tank.
  5. They used to be trained to avoid the siphon, but that training has faded over time.

• My fish know their names and most of the time will come when called.
  • They know how to hand-feed and take turns based on whom I call.
  • They know the word 'no' means 'stop whatever you're doing.' They listen.
  • They are trained to accept being handled, and Tsumo even likes it so much that he will demand to be 'cuddled with' when I am messing around with the tank.
  • They used to be trained to avoid the siphon, but that training has faded over time.
oh you have done the name thing! That is so very cool!

• My fish know their names and most of the time will come when called.
  • They know how to hand-feed and take turns based on whom I call.
  • They know the word 'no' means 'stop whatever you're doing.' They listen.
  • They are trained to accept being handled, and Tsumo even likes it so much that he will demand to be 'cuddled with' when I am messing around with the tank.
  • They used to be trained to avoid the siphon, but that training has faded over time.
oh you have done the name thing! That is so very cool!

Sharon has too, I think. I really enjoy it when my fish come by name so that I can get the one I want when I want it. :) All it takes is saying their name as you feed that one fish. Once they associate that word with good things, then you've trained that fish.

My fish are trained to eat whenever I feed them, and chew up whatever plants I do not want them to. The big ryu, Cal, has trained me not to stand in front of the tank without food, or he will fly to the top of the tank, and whack his tail at the water line, which will soak me every time. His big buddy Pumpkin spits water like a Super Soaker.

:rofl3

My fish are trained to eat whenever I feed them, and chew up whatever plants I do not want them to. The big ryu, Cal, has trained me not to stand in front of the tank without food, or he will fly to the top of the tank, and whack his tail at the water line, which will soak me every time. His big buddy Pumpkin spits water like a Super Soaker.

:rofl3

bahahah another spitter :wub:

I've trained mine to hand feed! I've also trained them to be super relaxed about transferring them with my hands. They also know to avoid the siphon, as whenever they came near it, I would shoo them away with my free hand! I want them to learn their names so badly! I will start doing what Chelsea said today. I never quite knew how to make them associate that word with themselves and not something else. Thanks, Chelsea!

I've trained mine to swim to an area that makes for a nice photography background in the sunlight.

They'll normally swim up to me anytime they see me near the pond hoping for food. But in this case when I turn off the fountain (waterfall) they'll swim to a shallow area where I feed them homemade gel-food by small mouthfuls each. I usually do this only when the sunlight is shining directly on the decorative slab. It goes against their natural instincts in two respects: to be in the sun and to be in a very shallow area where something predator-like is within hand's reach.

Gwen will actually swim into my hand and cuddle - but I don't do that often, as the pond water is coooooolddd, and I've heard it is not the best for their slime-coats.

I'd really like to try name-training them, Chelsea! Then I could more easily photograph them one at a time.

It's very easy for goldfish to learn their names, particularly if you put an untrained fish in a pond with those who already know their names. They observe the others, and quickly associate a particular sound with "food from the hand in MY mouth." Some fish are too shy to be willing to come to a hand. They can still learn the name that is called when they take some food. These will typically swim in circles, approaching and dashing off when they hear their names.

Earthworm-shaped strips of gel food is the easiest training material. The fish doesn't have to come as close to the hand to get a bite of food.

Unless you want all of the pictures to be of your fish with their heads out of the water with their mouths open, I don't think you'll be happy with the results of name training. Fish come when they are called about as well as cats do. If it appears to be to their benefit, they will consider it. Calling a fish and catching it in a bucket works ONCE. After that they won't even come for food until they make sure no bucket is in sight,

It's very easy for goldfish to learn their names, particularly if you put an untrained fish in a pond with those who already know their names. They observe the others, and quickly associate a particular sound with "food from the hand in MY mouth." Some fish are too shy to be willing to come to a hand. They can still learn the name that is called when they take some food. These will typically swim in circles, approaching and dashing off when they hear their names.

Earthworm-shaped strips of gel food is the easiest training material. The fish doesn't have to come as close to the hand to get a bite of food.

Unless you want all of the pictures to be of your fish with their heads out of the water with their mouths open, I don't think you'll be happy with the results of name training. Fish come when they are called about as well as cats do. If it appears to be to their benefit, they will consider it. Calling a fish and catching it in a bucket works ONCE. After that they won't even come for food until they make sure no bucket is in sight,

That's odd to me because mine come when called no matter what happens when they get there. (Though the cat analogy is so true.)

I wonder if the difference is that mine have never seen a predator? :idont Or maybe even the amount of handling

Edited by ChelseaM

All of my guys will hand feed. I have one little girl that does flips every time I approach the tank. I think it's just that she gets so excited for food:) She does it all on her own. I have a ranchuu that loves to nibble fingers. My 2 year old likes to visit with him to get his "fishy kisses". It's so cute. I had 2 rescue fish that came in together. One had a lot of swimblladder issues. The healthy one would pick up food in his mouth and spit it out toward the floaty one to make sure she ate. That was probably the most amazing thing I have seen in my experience. Melts the heart:)

Helen, I hear you on the tank use. My guys have these big tanks and usually huddle in the feeding area. If it weren't for the water quality issues, they'd probabaly be quite happy in a 20 gallon lol. Drives me nuts.

The only thing I've managed to do (and reinforce) is the association between shaking sounds and food. I've transferred their food from the bag it came with (as it sounded like cat treat bags.....) to little stackable food safe containers. I didn't think they'd make the connection but they did. Shaking the food in the plastic containers still brought the same reaction of swimming to the front right corner. :)

Lin knows her name or nickname of LinLin as a (hey come here you!) but that's about it.

I have to work on retraining hand feeding, though. :(

Edited by Chai

That's odd to me because mine come when called no matter what happens when they get there. (Though the cat analogy is so true.)

I wonder if the difference is that mine have never seen a predator? :idont Or maybe even the amount of handling

Mine have never seen a predator either. But, you have fancy goldfish, I believe, and they have lost some protective instincts. At least mine have. For example, my pond type-goldfish distinguish between people they know and strangers. It's very funny to observe the goldfish in the ponds inside the pool enclosure when the "pool guy" comes for his weekly maintenance. The fancies follow him as he walks past. The pond-type fish keep their distance. The voice of a complete stranger drives them to the bottom of the pond.

The pond-type goldfish also have a strong instinctive fear of anything overhead. This is expected in a shallow-water prey fish. They have to overcome this to take food from my hand. The desire for food wins out quickly in most fish, but a few really struggle. They come toward me when I call their names and then, just before they get to my hand, panic and dive for the bottom. One overcame this fear after a year, but a couple of them just can't do it. They stick their heads up when I call them and I toss them some food. My fancies appear to have lost this fear.

Some fancies actually like handling. I would be interested to know if anyone has a comet/common/shubunkin that tolerates handling. Of course they are very hard to catch, so if you do get a hold of one, it is already very upset. They also quickly learn to avoid situations that have proved to have unpleasant consequences. When you hear of a fish that repeatedly gets stuck someplace in the tank, it is always a fancy. My Pearls appears to seek out places to get stuck -- she swims behind a flowerpot and "can't" back out or she gets tangled in the floating leaves of a plant. She just waits (sometimes overnight) for me to find and rescue her. Then she gets stuck in the same place again and again. I think she likes being rescued.

(post above).

I think you're right on all accounts. I have all fancies right now, so I don't have much to go off of with slim fish. I also have one oranda that loves being pet/handled when I am working on the tank. :)

When I have time I'll have to try to teach my fish some of the things that you guys have taught yours. Teaching them their names sounds so fun!

My common splashes water out of the tank when it gets close to the time they usually get their dinner. I find it amusing that he can tell it's that time, or maybe that's just when he gets hungry again from breakfast. He's teaching one of my fancies his bad behavior, lol. My common also likes to get into (And win) fights against my cat. My cat will stand up and put his paws on the tank stand, watching the fish, and my common will come up to the cat and dart back and forth like he's challenging him. Then he'll go up to the top and splash water out of the tank at him. The cat is now scared of the goldfish. My husband and I find this hilarious. They really do have such personalities!

Edited by Goldenhero

Wow!! I never realised this was even possible!!!! Congratulations on training them guys!

mine definitely recognise me apart from other people though! :-) would be great if the could make me a cup of tea! haha!