New BML (Build My LED)

I had ordered some new LED lights from a company in Texas called Build My LED on 1-10-14. (BML) I finally received them from FedX today. The lights are made to order to what you want. I ordered the 10000K Planted for my 20g planted betta tank. The lights are suppose to enhance reds, purples, and darker greens. I also ordered the dimmer so I can turn down the light intensity if I want to or need to. I'm really excited about these lights. I'm hoping my plants are going to do great with the lights and the fluorite substrate that I have in the tank. I'll also be able to buy some different plants now that require a higher lighting now and just play around with them. I want to try some plants with some color. :)

I made a quick video of showing the lights after I took them out of the package.

Here's the video

http://1-29-14BMLon20g005_zps3e558e47.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm liking the mounts yet, of how they're designed to rest on the rim of the tank. I think it could have been made a little bit better. I need to unscrew the right side of the mount and bring it out about 1/4 inch so it can nudge and rest better on the rim of the tank. They are just made out of plastic. It doesn't look very sturdy. Here are some photo's of the mounts. (this is the left side of the tank and mount. So this is how they are suppose to be. I need to fix the right side still.) The lights can also pivot up or down a little. So if you want to target more on a plant(s) in the back or front you can. And of course you can glide the lights forward or backwards as much as you want along the side rims of the tank.

[/url]">http://1-29-14BMLon20g007_zps0866a3d8.jpg

[/url]">http://1-29-14BMLon20g008_zps58aeebd7.jpg

[/url]">http://1-29-14BMLon20g009_zpsd3f05b50.jpg

I'm really glad I ordered the dimmer. The lights go down to 10% and all the way up to the full 10000K.

I have noticed right away from these new lights that my Ludwigia plant is so much brighter than my fluval LED light that I did have on the tank.

Here's a photo below. Unfortunately,I think the plant looks so much better under the lights than what this photo is showing. I think I need to figure out my camera settings.

[/url]">http://1-29-14BMLon20g003_zps20c545c3.jpg

Thank you for looking. Overall, I think I am going to love these LED lights. They weren't a disappointment. I can't wait to see what my plants look like in a few weeks.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Thanks Mikey.

I don't see the purple(ish) glow?? I just looked under the lights and there are of course the whites, with blue, and reds.

Added: I did say the company said it enhances purple. Do you know of anything that is purple? fish?? My new lights are making my reddish betta look brighter.

Edited by 4prettyfish

It looks fantastic, Cheryl. The cruddy lights that came with my tank (from the early 80s, so they are allowed to be cruddy) also have very flimsy looking mounts but they survived right up to the moment Comet snapped it off being silly so they were clearly tougher than they looked. I kinda know what Mikey means by purplish. Diego looks fantastic in that light.

Thanks Mikey.

I don't see the purple(ish) glow?? I just looked under the lights and there are of course the whites, with blue, and reds.

Added: I did say the company said it enhances purple. Do you know of anything that is purple? fish?? My new lights are making my reddish betta look brighter.

I'm not sure. :peeka it looks amazing though! :)

It looks fantastic, Cheryl. The cruddy lights that came with my tank (from the early 80s, so they are allowed to be cruddy) also have very flimsy looking mounts but they survived right up to the moment Comet snapped it off being silly so they were clearly tougher than they looked. I kinda know what Mikey means by purplish. Diego looks fantastic in that light.

Thanks Susanne. How long did you have those lights of yours? I've fixed the mounts better and moved them over a little bit to fit better on the rim of the tank. I'm more satisfied with them now. They are in more snuggly. Still though I think they could have designed it better or at least came free with the lights. One part of the mount is snapped on and that is not a strong snap at all. The lights are awesome though and no regrets in purchasing.

Really nice, Cheryl. Bear in mind that the more light you add, the more carbon dioxide you will need. :)

Thanks Dan. I appreciate info. That's one reason why I bought the dimmer. If I find myself needing co2 I wouldn't be totally against it. I'm enjoying learning but would like to hold off on it for the year perhaps. :)

Beautiful. I have a friend with one of their fixtures for a while now. Her tank is heavily planted, and is growing very nicely. :)

How nice. Thanks for letting me know this Tammy. I don't think I know of anyone on Koko's that have these lights. Would it be possible for you to post a photo? I'd love to see it. If not, what size is her tank and are they big plants, small, delicate, hardy, combination, etc. How long has she had these lights? She's probably liking them than huh, seeing her plants are growing nicely?

Very nice! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. :)

Thanks Mikey.

I'm not sure. :peeka it looks amazing though! :)

:teehee Thanks again Mikey. :)

It looks awesome.

Thank you so much :)

wow I like :) Your Tank looks amazing :) may I ask about how much it all cost you? and if you can provide a link??

Thanks Shelly. I don't mind saying. I didn't pay too much more than my Petco Fluval Led lights. I just took those back today and was refunded cents short of $184.00. My new BML with tax were a couple dollars short of $240.00. So I spent about $56.00 more for something that I really wanted. I knew I wanted LED lights and didn't really see anything at any of the pet stores. I really want to play around with different plants and see what I can grow with out the co2 and if I find I need it I'm open to try it down the road perhaps.

Their website is buildmyled.com If your find yourself interested you can email Cara. We've emailed back and fourth several times. I can give you some more info that I've learned.

Nice planted tank.

Thank you Angie. :)

Wow! That looks great! I'm looking forward to updates! :nana

Thanks Lisa. I'm updating tank as it progresses in the betta section. :) For anyone interested "My new tank project for betta boy" :happydance On this thread I just wanted to share my lights if anyone is interested.

What are those red plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they are red ludwigia. So far so good with them. I think they are really beautiful plants and they have thick strong stems to them. I just bought some more red plants (different) and will probably post photo's in my betta thread tomorrow or Saturday.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I have tons of her tank pictures, but she should really be the one to post them. I'll ask her if she'd like to make a thread, or maybe a post in this one. She's had her light for close to a year now, I think. She has a 125 gallon planted goldfish tank. It's very heavily planted, and some of the plants are quite large.

Hello pretty fish

I'm Tammy's friend with the BML. I have a six foot 120g planted goldfish tank. I've had the light almost a year and love it. I spoke with the owner and he made the light to grow plants and bring out the goldfish colors. I have the side mounts too. Never had a problem with them. Once they are in place the light is secure. Yet the light can be removed for cleaning purposes. It's great.

My plants are easy to grow ones. I do plan to set up co2 but I keep pushing it back. I prune my plants every other week as they grow quickly. Remember lots of light equal more ferts. I found if I didn't keep up with ferts the plants did poorly.

I highly recommend BML. Don't hesitate to call them if you want something special or don't understand which light to pick. Wonderful company.

I have tons of her tank pictures, but she should really be the one to post them. I'll ask her if she'd like to make a thread, or maybe a post in this one. She's had her light for close to a year now, I think. She has a 125 gallon planted goldfish tank. It's very heavily planted, and some of the plants are quite large.

I see she has. :) Thank you for telling her about this.

Lovely tank :) Can't wait to see how the plants grow.

Thank you so much. I can't wait either. :)

Hello pretty fish

I'm Tammy's friend with the BML. I have a six foot 120g planted goldfish tank. I've had the light almost a year and love it. I spoke with the owner and he made the light to grow plants and bring out the goldfish colors. I have the side mounts too. Never had a problem with them. Once they are in place the light is secure. Yet the light can be removed for cleaning purposes. It's great.

My plants are easy to grow ones. I do plan to set up co2 but I keep pushing it back. I prune my plants every other week as they grow quickly. Remember lots of light equal more ferts. I found if I didn't keep up with ferts the plants did poorly.

I highly recommend BML. Don't hesitate to call them if you want something special or don't understand which light to pick. Wonderful company.

Hello, Thank you for responding and showing me your tank. I appreciate it. Your tank is massive and looks great. I'm so glad you like your lights even after a year. I'm very happy with mine also. I love them also. :) I'm just not to sure about the mounts. But now that you have pointed out I had put mine on the outside instead of the inside....hahaha duh, I'll have to fix that and than see how I like them. ha ha Thank you for pointing that out. I was wondering why it barely fits on. But I do have them on now, granted wrong :(, but I actually like them now because they are on snug. ha ha I'm still going to fix them the correct way. I've also recommend them. I couldn't find any lights that I wanted at the pet stores. I so recommend these. I really like the LED's. Thanks for letting me know about the Fertilizer. What do you mean exactly by keeping up with the ferts? Tabs? I do have fluorite substrate, seachem excel and seachem?? can't think of it. :(

Thank you again for all this info and your beautiful photo's. Your goldfish must be so happy to live there. I think my betta and snails are enjoying their tank.

image_zps87801703.jpg

I think you have you mounts on the outside of the tank. They go on the inside rim. Plus you can rotated the lights...it will add depth to your tank.

figured I did that wrong. ha ha Thanks for posting a photo of yours. Like I said above I'm going to change it. (later today/evening) Even with my mounts on wrong my lights can still angle as in move up, down. They are great.

image_zps67cf44b5.jpg

Excuse the hornwort. It belongs to Tammy but its been too cold to ship. It grows like crazy.

beautiful tank. The lights look great. Must be nice having a good friend that loves having goldfish also. Edited by 4prettyfish

I love seeing pictures of my favorite Monster Tank!!!! :heart Don't you guys think that she should make a thread, and spam us with pictures? :pp

image_zps87801703.jpg

I think you have you mounts on the outside of the tank. They go on the inside rim. Plus you can rotated the lights...it will add depth to your tank.

image_zps67cf44b5.jpg

Excuse the hornwort. It belongs to Tammy but its been too cold to ship. It grows like crazy.

image_zps87801703.jpg

figured I did that wrong. ha ha Thanks for posting a photo of yours. Like I said above I'm going to change it. (later today/evening) Even with my mounts on wrong my lights can still angle as in move up, down. They are great.

image_zps67cf44b5.jpg

beautiful tank. The lights look great. Must be nice having a good friend that loves having goldfish also.

I love that mermaid, and when I'm not starving, I'm going to get her to make me one. lol!

I think it's more troublesome to have a friend like me because I keep telling her to get things! LOL!