Sign in to follow this  
fishy

Using softened water with iron remover product

Hi- I have posted before about using softened water-is it possible to raise gh & lower kh? On a recommendation I did get the seachem replenish to help with the low gh issue, rest of the parameters were okay. I was all set to do my first water change using the softened water from my house instead of the water from work which is also softened but is Lake Michigan water, not well water. Then I remembered at the house a product is added to our water softener called Super Iron Out so I didn't do my water change. The ingredients in the product are: Sodium Hydrosulfite & Sodium Metabisulfite. Does anyone know if that is safe for goldfish? If not, is there a safe filter or product for removing iron? Thank you for any advice.

Hi there. I would not use the water with the super iron out in it. Is it something you add or is it the type of salt you are using? Most water softeners with regular softener salt remove iron along with hardness unless you have a higher amount of iron. Have you had it tested to see if you need the extra iron removal capabilities?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The product is an additive to the solar salt water softener. Good idea on getting it tested without the product. I didn't think it sounded safe. Thank you : )

I used to live in Illinois (northwest suburbs, Lake Zurich, Hawthorn Woods area) on a well and the iron as well as the sulfur was really high. We had a special "extra" tank to remove the sulfur smell but I think our regular water softener salt was enough for the iron. Just thought I'd mention it :)

Thank you : ) our water is very similar to what you had too. After I posted about the iron I then realized about the sulfer smell too. I was like, oh no, another issue I need to check into. It's good to know about the extra tank to remove that too. I am off work tomorrow & will be going to the water treatment store we bought the softener from. Thanks again : )

The sulfur won't harm your fish, it just smells bad lol. I don't think a little iron is bad either, its just inconvenient for the homeowner. Good luck. I will be curious what they tell you. The one nice thing about leaving Illinois was moving somewhere where I don't have sulfur or iron!

Ugh-illinois well water. Before buying this house, my plan was that any home purchase decision would be based on the water condition of the particular house. Realistically I knew that would not be the case but it was nice to dream : ) thanks for your help, you can relate first hand. I will definitely let you know what the company says tomorrow.

You might be interested in reading this.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/pyrethrins-ziram/sulfur-ext.html

How much sulfur is in the water? As you can see, the concentration of sulfur where 50% of two species of fish would die after 4 days of exposure is 180ppm. So, it's not quite harmless.

Thanks dnalex-I didn't see your post til now. And cindy, thank you for your responses too. I decided last night that I am going to keep everything as is. The water I use now has been as close to perfect as needed so I will continue to do 2 25% water changes per week. I did get a water changer yesterday so it drains into the laundry tub (instead of bucket to tub). Much easier. I would worry too much that if I did change something with the water that something bad may happen even if I thought I had everything covered (iron, sulfur, & who knows what else can pop up). Bringing water containers from work is much easier on me than the worry of changing water source/type : )