Sign in to follow this  
MrJimlahey

tank size for my 2 goldies?

so i have two goldfish one is a common and the other is a comet goldfish, i put them both in a large tank which i bought from a guy who said it was a 75 gallon tank but i got curious a year later and i think its only like a 60 gallon after measuring the volume, anyway my question is can both of my fish reach their maximum size in this tank without their growth being stunted. the common goldie has defiantly grown but the comet who was originally the smaller one is now way bigger.

Yes, your fish should be fine in that size! We like to recommend 20 gallons per fish, so 40 would be enough for those 2, and 60 is great!

It should be fine but as I have been keeping fancy and common goldfish longer and longer I no longer really think common goldfish are well suited to tanks. They are very athletic fish and can swim from one side of a 75 to the other in 1 second if they feel like it. I am not saying you are abusing the fish in any way, Im just saying I will no longer do it. Come Spring, all commons go in my pond.

It should be fine but as I have been keeping fancy and common goldfish longer and longer I no longer really think common goldfish are well suited to tanks. They are very athletic fish and can swim from one side of a 75 to the other in 1 second if they feel like it. I am not saying you are abusing the fish in any way, Im just saying I will no longer do it. Come Spring, all commons go in my pond.

I just want to note this, for the OP's sake-- not everyone has access to a pond and if he continues to house the fish in the 60 gallon, they should be fine. Of course they would be better suited in a pond but we have many knowledgable members who have successfully kept single tails in tanks.

What are the tank dimensions? Longer tanks are generally better than taller tanks for GF. :D

I just want to note this, for the OP's sake-- not everyone has access to a pond and if he continues to house the fish in the 60 gallon, they should be fine. Of course they would be better suited in a pond but we have many knowledgable members who have successfully kept single tails in tanks.

Yes that is certainly true. If I were to only have a tank, I would stick to fancies. That is just my opinion and preference.

What are the tank dimensions? Longer tanks are generally better than taller tanks for GF. :D

its about 4 feet long 18in wide and 20 inch tall

Are you sure that's not a 75 gallon? Mine is 48 X 18 X 21 . . .

Either way, that sounds like a nice size for your 2 fish. :D

Are you sure that's not a 75 gallon? Mine is 48 X 18 X 21 . . .

Either way, that sounds like a nice size for your 2 fish. :D

hmmmm idk maybe the glass is really thick though but thank you!

According to the calculator I used, your tank should be around 74 gallons. Either way, it is the perfect home for your two fish. :)

Tank should be fine for your Goldie's not all commons are athletic and can be slower than fancies sometimes it all depends on the specific fish I know Sharon had some great info regarding this subject

Sounds like an awesome forever home for them! Show us pics some time! :D

It sounds good to me. The filtration and water changes would be important. I have a 100 gallon tank with 2 shubunkins, 2 sarassa comets and 1 fancy. I would love to have a pond, but can't unless i win the lotto, :teehee I have had 1 of the shubunkins and 1 of the comets for 8-9 years, all of the fish are pretty big. They seem to be healthy.